For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Ski-Doo: XP Sleds 2007.5-current, all models in the XP, XT and XR chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Currently: please snow in montana mountains
madmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond reputemadmini660 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Default has anyone pulled a brake off

Having trouble pulling the brake caliber off took my sled to the ski-doo dealer and they said I'd have to pull the chain case apart and push the hole shaft over to get the brake off but I didnt wont to do that if didn't have to

just asking because the ski-doo dealer had never done won before thanks

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Currently: Not set.
Rally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond reputeRally2 has a reputation beyond repute

The manual seems to indicate you can remove the brake rotor & caliper without touching the chaincase side.

My concern is that once you get the caliper/bearing housing off the driveshaft has no support on that side and sags down quite a bit until resting on the retainer (still locked in the tunnel with the tabs).

With the shaft hanging down like that I think it would be hard on the seal, bearing, gear, circlip still all attached in the chaincase side.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Premium Member
Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,600 Posts
winter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond repute

Lay the sled on the side and loosen the track so it's not pulling on the driveshaft. Pull the disc cover and then the brake pad retainer bolt (and that little clip), and then the 4 #40 Torx bolts and the circlip on the disc....then the caliper assy. will come off. Easiest to use the puller from Doo, but will come off with a little heat (not too much, don't cook the caliper), and some gently prying usually gets it.

The Following User Says Thank You to winter brew For This Useful Post:
dingalingman1 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Basic Member
andyhollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously this is an old thread but I've run into the same question.

If I *only* need to replace the brake rotor and pads (not changing the track) do I need to get into the chaincase side of things? I will if I have to, just don't want to if it's not needed.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM
Premium Member
Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,600 Posts
winter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhollin View Post
Obviously this is an old thread but I've run into the same question.

If I *only* need to replace the brake rotor and pads (not changing the track) do I need to get into the chaincase side of things? I will if I have to, just don't want to if it's not needed.
No, it can all happen from the brake side.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to winter brew For This Useful Post:
andyhollin (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Basic Member
andyhollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter brew View Post
No, it can all happen from the brake side.
Thank you! I'm going to give it a shot later today. I got the C&T tool so I'm hoping it's not a huge pain.