• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche Gear

Does anyone know of a company that doesn't charge REALLY REALLY high prices for avy gear. I am sure it is possible to make a backpack for Way less than the prices I have seen. The ABS packs I have seen are like 1,100 bucks!! I know a life is priceless, but that is just out of reach for many consumers. If I am missing something and they are not that much please let me know. I had a little scare this weekend and I want to get the proper gear, but at the price of the avy gear I might be confined to the meadows or just take my chances. It just seems like companies are price gouging for gear that is really important to have.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I doubt any vendor is getting rich of these packs as they retail about the same from all. You can buy the new BCA for $499. Hard to find them right now however....over sold.

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
I just wish it was more affordable to have safety equipment.

Hey there Captain obvious, I don't know anybody that wishes it was more expensive! Snowmobiling is expensive and having the right gear is part of the sport. Just like buying $1000 tires for my truck to drive in snow.....thats just the way it is. I wouldn't say people are being "gouged" by the prices. How much are you willing to pay for an ipod or an iphone? The avy beacons fall right in line with those. As far as the avy packs go, welcome to capitalism. If you don't like how much they charge, make/design/manufacture/distribute/market your own quality avy pack and become a competitor to drive the price down. What do you expect, a govt subsidy? Write a letter to Obama and see what he can do for the "less fortunate" snowmobilers.:D:rolleyes:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
QuadsWest is right. I find it so ironic that snowmobilers will spend a quick $9k and often more but won't spend much money on the "little" things such as a beacon and/or ABS bag. I was a person that wanted a ABS bag since they came out, but couldn't coin up $1k+. I bit on the BCA this year and I like it. I haven't had to use it and hopefully won't. I talked a really knowledgable guy on the BCA. He said that they are lossing money on that pack. He also said that BCA will charge more next year. Likely around $750ish.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
It just seems like companies are price gouging for gear that is really important to have.

If you think retailers are making a killing on ABS packs you are wrong. They are the lowest margin product around and they are almost more hassle than they are worth from a retailer standpoint. But we carry them because they keep people safe and our #1 priority has always been to get people to have the proper gear and be safe!

He also said that BCA will charge more next year. Likely around $750ish.

Yep, the price of the BCA Float 30 will be going up next year.

Last edited:
Premium Features