Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: 2-stroke Includes all Yamaha 2-strokes, Viper, Mountain Max, etc

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Snowshovel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blown motor help please

Well the day started off perfect, we started up mountain and by the time we got to the trail head there was 10 inches of fresh powder on the trail and more falling in buckets. About 5 miles in I was in the lead and as we started to go up an incline i gave my (new to me, bought used last week) 03 Mountain Viper more gas. The result was bogging and the sled dying... hmm i thought bad gas from last year? fouled plugs? improper jetting as the altitude increased? So after inspecting the plugs the center one looked like it was burning lean, hardly wet at all after running for at least 45 minutes. Swapped in new plugs, and tried to start it, the crank would not turn, i pulled on the rope and she would come out about 5 inches and stop dead.

Fearing i had somehow seized the engine up I pulled the clutch shroud off and tried turning the primary by hand. At first it seemed stiff but then gave way and was turning fine. After many attemps the sled would not start so i hooked up my snatch strap and towed her out using my sons 600 Mountain Max. Once we got back to the trailer, i figured wtf lets give it another go before we try to drag the sled up the ramp into the trailer. Couple pulls and she fired right up, but something didnt sound right. It was almost like a piston was knocking, and the engine was shuddering.

I gave her some gas got it 1/2 way up the ramp and heard the sickening sound of the center piston rock going through the bottom of the case. A mad dash after moving everything off the floor to avoid the coolant that was leaking everywhere we popped the hood open to survey the damage. First thing out of my buddy's mouth "Rob we got debri" you dont want to know the first thing out of mine. The center piston rod had come loose and popped a hole right in the bottom of the case. I just bought this sled 8 days ago, the guy i bought it from said it was awesome for him and other than some minor "kissed a tree" repair he had no issues. It had 7000 miles on it and after looking it over had no visable defects other than a minor oil leak.

I had all fluids full, I was using oil the reservoir had gone down some from where we started. Only maintenance i have done on it was clean the power valves yesterday, which after pulling the top end off looked fine. So no way the powervalves caused this, di i just get the $hitty end of the stick and it was me the engine happened to fail on? Those of you who have owned these sleds please weight in and give your opinions. I am attaching photos of the damage, and am looking for a new motor if anyone has one.

Also is there a way to test your oil pump with the motor tore apart? A way to energize it and watch it pump to ensure it is working before i get a nerw motor and do it all over again?

Top end damage

looking in to the center piston

another of the center chamber

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Currently: Wants to Ride
Basic Member
aopdahl is an unknown quantity at this point

i 've got a 700 mountain max motor up for sale

__________________________________________________ _____________
2000 mm 700, triple pipes,156'',mpi transfer enhancement,boss seat and reed spacers.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Basic Member

You might be the guy my fried was in here talking to earlier, is it out of an 04 Viper has about 700 miles on it? My only fear is buying it, installing and BOOM i get another present. Kind of looking for a newly rebuilt one

Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Currently: On the mend-neck surgery
thinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond reputethinksnow has a reputation beyond repute

I think 7000 miles on a 2-stroke is good. I worry everytime I start my MM700 and it only has 4500 miles. My buddy took his motor out at 4000. Another one made 6000 before parts went out the bottom.

These motors are fairly bulletproof, but when they start getting a bunch of miles check them out. I have heard of alot of piston skirts cracking with time. It's fairly cheap to drop in new pistons/rings before the whole motor goes down.JMO

Old 11-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Basic Member

Too bad im past that point the top end was beat to $hit by the piston smacking it and the lower end has a hole in it. Not to mention the scoring the cylinder wall took

Last edited by Snowshovel; 11-22-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Currently: the stutter button on the tnytro is too much fun!
roughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond reputeroughrider99 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I really don't think you can garuntee that your gonna be safe with any 2 stroke motor thats used. my mtn max 600 twin blew up at 4500k then after being rebuilt at a dealer the motor blew up again after 400k.both times required a new pot. just make sure you get a motor from someone with good reputation even if costs an extra buck.
15' viper mtx 162 PC3
12' pro rmk (for sale)
97 wrx sti type r summer boosted toy!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Basic Member
MM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond reputeMM800 has a reputation beyond repute
Default motor

In my experience, you wanna make sure you have good fuel. Last years fuel does not cut it. I've see issues where the sled ran flawlwsly one year, jerked on the rope and went for a ride-Boom. A little low in elevation or a little colder than usual, bad fuel (looses octane from sitting), motor starts detonatiang and boom. I cant tell ya how many times I've seen this. Not knowing what your jetting is and what elevation u are set up for, coupled with old fuel spells trouble.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Basic Member

no it not one out of a viper its a spare one for my 2000 mountain max laying around and iam trying to sell it

Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Basic Member
Alaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant futureAlaskan has a brilliant future
Default Do some research

I would recommend doing some research and being patient....one will turn up or perhaps you can have yours rebuilt....this would save time and probably money in the long run! You would then have a new motor good for another 5000 miles! You might call Dustin @ OUtlaw Motorsports and quiz him on a replacement motor or where to have it affordably rebuilt the RIGHT way! Tom Hartman from Hartman Inc is another awesome guy to deal with and worth calling! use google to find their home pages and contact info....I'd go with Hartman over OUtlaw, Hartman Inc. is more experienced with older sleds and not so Turbo focused. Almost forgot Totallyamaha.com....wealth of information on your sled and probably the place to go and find one on classifieds or another member!
cheers....

Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Basic Member
Yammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud ofYammerhead has much to be proud of
Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Basic Member
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Basic Member
M-Max will become famous soon enoughM-Max will become famous soon enoughM-Max will become famous soon enoughM-Max will become famous soon enoughM-Max will become famous soon enoughM-Max will become famous soon enoughM-Max will become famous soon enoughM-Max will become famous soon enoughM-Max will become famous soon enoughM-Max will become famous soon enough

Click Here to Register

Old 11-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Basic Member
schmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant futureschmitty53 has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register

Old 11-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Currently: Hope 240 is enough?!
twincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond reputetwincam88 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 11-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Currently: ask you mom
RIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register