For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Arizona/New Mexico Chama, Red River, White Mountains, etc.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Currently: lurking
Basic Member
TheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Thumbs up Search & Rescue Info - Avy Danger

Ok guys this section is going to be to post usefull emergency services information.

Please post about past experiences and what would have helped prevent any needs for SAR.

Maybe some of you that have been going to our riding area can post some local information to help future sledders to out area.

Here is a link to what can happen in Chama:
http://www.koat.com/news/14988698/detail.html

Another:
http://www.allbusiness.com/society-s...1926805-1.html

Last edited by TheFlyingFynn; 09-15-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFlyingFynn For This Useful Post:
Calvin42 (09-25-2009), thebigtreeman (09-15-2009)
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Currently: Enjoying life in the mountains
Basic Member
thebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I know some of you guys don't ride with a beacon but it would be nice if everyone had one. Watch this video. It gave me chills. The helmet cam was running when he got buried.

The Following User Says Thank You to thebigtreeman For This Useful Post:
Calvin42 (09-25-2009)
Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Currently: Liv'n the Dream everyday
Calvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's that time of year again (seems like its been a long time), but by reading all the posts, thanks to Fynn for getting things rolling in a BIG way, everyone is prepping sleds and gear for the upcoming season. Tim thought it might be a good idea to start brainstorming on some survival kit ideas and just general discussion on the topic. I think this works better when everybody puts in their .02 cents. I did start one last year in the General section and there were alot of folks that had some great ideas and really added to the post, but here goes for this riding season.

Backpack essentials: small compass, rope, lighter or water proof matches, extra socks and gloves, leatherman or knife, small mirror for signaling (if anyone is interested I will show you how to use it), Water, high energy bars or candy, small first aid kit, vaseline and cotton balls, tampons ( I know, but they work well for taking fuel from your tank to start a fire), space blanket, GPS/Radio, extra battery's, small folding saw (the ones in the shovel handle work ok but their kinda flimsy, right B/F?), Survival shovel, C/L to help forget your in a survival situaton, small poncho, whistle, knit cap. These are some things to start with, however everyone chime in on extra stuff. Next, how to survive the situation.
First of all keep your head, 95% of surviving is keeping your cool. Shelter is probably the next most important. Riding up in Chama there are lots of pine trees which are a great survival aid. The limbs make great shelters as well as keeping you dry. This is where the saw and rope come in handy. Find a tree with low hanging bows and cut them off. You'll want to use them to sit on as well as making a lean to, not to mention once you get a fire going if you put one or two on the fire they create a great deal of smoke that will help rescue teams find you. There's alway the sled to burn if you have to, creates lots of black smoke so people can find you. Just make sure it is insured, also gives you a good reason to go buy a new one. Another important thing to remember is stay dry. While building a shelter and fire your working up a sweat, remove some layers of clothing to cool off a bit. If weather is good, your just lost, try to get to a large open area. It is extremely hard to find someone, even from the air, if your down in the trees. Being here in New Mexico, we have the best trained search and rescue guys in the world at Kirtland AFB with some of the most sophisticated helicopters in the world as well. Trust me, if the weather is good, they will come looking for you. These are just a few ideas to get the thread going.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calvin42 For This Useful Post:
boondocking fool (09-26-2009), ghostrider dd (09-26-2009), thebigtreeman (09-25-2009), TheFlyingFynn (09-25-2009)
Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Currently: work
Basic Member
Timberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant future
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtreeman View Post
I know some of you guys don't ride with a beacon but it would be nice if everyone had one. Watch this video. It gave me chills. The helmet cam was running when he got buried.

It would indeed be nice if everyone wore a beacon. A lot of people have died in avys that didn't have to.

One example I can think of happened last winter on Blance Peak not too far from my house. A couple of people were climbing up there and an Avy buried one of them. The other ended up on top. Long story short, he couldn't find her and the body wasn't recovered till the following spring. They think that she wasn't buried very deep at all. Just enough. They were way too far away from help and he was her only shot. Had these people had beacons, he probably could have found her and they would both be alive today.

IMO everyone who rides in the mountains should have a beacon and know how to use it. Yes, they are kinda expensive but it's a small price to pay for saving your life or that of someone else. IMO it doesn't make much sense for some people in a group to have a becon on and others no to. If the worst happens and the one person not wearing a beacon happens to be the one buried, the guys that are wearing beacons aren't going to have much of a chance of finding him. Always remember that these things can happen at any time and sometimes where you would least expect it. Never make the mistake of thinking it can't happen to you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timberwolf1050 For This Useful Post:
boondocking fool (09-26-2009), thebigtreeman (09-25-2009), TheFlyingFynn (09-25-2009)
Old 09-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Basic Member
thebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond reputethebigtreeman has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

To piggy back on what you said about the beacons, my wife would be ROYALLY pissed if the rest of the guys didn't have beacons but I was wearing mine and you didn't find me.

Trust me, you don't want to piss off the little lady.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Basic Member
TheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond reputeTheFlyingFynn has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtreeman View Post
To piggy back on what you said about the beacons, my wife would be ROYALLY pissed if the rest of the guys didn't have beacons but I was wearing mine and you didn't find me.

Trust me, you don't want to piss off the little lady.
So roll call who has a beacon.

I have owned 2 a BCA and a SOS will be getting the BCA 2 in November when its available.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Basic Member
Garage

Mammut Pulse Barryvox here. It has a nice function that will allow you to see other beacons that transmit "health" information of the buried person. For example, if you had the ability to see that (e.g. you're using another Mammut beacond), you could tell if I were still breathing or if there was movement detected.

It's very simple, easy to use. If you have it in SEARCH mode and you get buried, it will go back to the transmit mode. Very handy feature. It was rated very high by one of the avy institutes that compares beacons.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Currently: work
Basic Member
Timberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant futureTimberwolf1050 has a brilliant future
Garage

Wife and I each have an Ortovox Beacon. We bury them in the snow and make eachother find them all the time. Good practice. Sounds kinda silly but it really helps you learn to use the beacons and understant thier features.

Hey Tim, your wife sounds alot like mine. Pissing her off is NOT a good idea

Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Basic Member
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf1050 View Post
Wife and I each have an Ortovox Beacon. We bury them in the snow and make eachother find them all the time. Good practice. Sounds kinda silly but it really helps you learn to use the beacons and understant thier features.

Hey Tim, your wife sounds alot like mine. Pissing her off is NOT a good idea
This is the appropriate method of practice.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Currently: Liv'n the Dream everyday
Calvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond repute
Old 09-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Basic Member
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 09-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Currently: Not set.
newmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 AM
MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Dunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Currently: one down and many to go!
Basic Member
ghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to behold
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 09-26-2009, 11:24 AM
newmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond reputenewmy1 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Basic Member
boondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Currently: <<<THIS SLED IS FOR SALE>>>
Thanked 2,437 Times in 1,356 Posts
AKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AKSNOWRIDER For This Useful Post:
boondocking fool (09-26-2009), thebigtreeman (09-27-2009), TheFlyingFynn (09-28-2009)
Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Currently: one down and many to go!
Basic Member
ghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to beholdghostrider dd is a splendid one to behold
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Basic Member
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to thebigtreeman For This Useful Post:
TheFlyingFynn (09-29-2009)
Old 09-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Basic Member
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 09-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Basic Member
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Basic Member
boondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond reputeboondocking fool has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Basic Member
alpine2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register