For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Alaska Petersville, Cantwell, Hatcher Pass, Summit, etc.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Currently: still a rebel way back in the country
theultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beacons....something to think about.

As our riding season is starting to wind down, I thought I would start this thread in hopes of getting some to think and save over the summer. I finally broke down and bought 2 beacons recently as many of you know. I know, I should have done this a long time ago. Like so many here, I thought I could not afford them, or would ride "carefully" and would just be safe. Here is the thoughts that went through my head that put me over the top and made me bite the bullet and buy them. I can not imagine how helpless I would feel out on the hill when a riding partner in my group, or another for that matter were to get caught up in an avy and I had no beacon to help find them. Worse yet would be if I KNEW that they were wearing one, and here I stand with just a shovel and a big pile of snow in front of me. The needle in the haystack and it is my freind in there. Even if others in our group had beacons, (which most do) I would feel useless and foolish. I would have a very hard time this down. Especially when I ride the mountians with my 18 yr old boy alot any more. How would I explain that to mom if he were to be the one caught in an avy? No, a beacon will not and does not save everyone. What it can do however, is to bring closure sooner for those who are waiting to find their loved one. Had Yancy had a beacon, I am thinking that he most likely would have been recovered the day of the avy. I think my freinds and family deserve that much. The thoughts of the unknown and waiting are the worst. Thankfully they did find Yancy within a week and not late in the summer like some of the 99 turny victims. I cannot imagine waiting that long to bring a freind or family member home. With the price of fuel and 2 stroke oil the way it is, I stayed home 2 days this winter and on each day I skipped riding said to myself, that just bought 1 beacon. The second day, I ordered 2 beacons. ! for myself, and one for my son or whomever happens to be riding with me that day that does not have one. I owe a big thanks to aksnowrider for borrowing me one of his kids beacons several times in the past 2 years. I know he only did so, so I could find him if need be, but made me feel much more at peace on those days. If those of you without them, save a buck a day form now til fall, you will have a beacon for life. I am not going to ride any less carefull now that I am riding with one. But ride knowing that I will be able to sleep at night should the worst ever happen on the hill and know that I was there to help and did all that I could do for a freind. Sorry for the rant guys, but if this gets one person to buy a beacon, it was worth the read.
Thanks
theultrarider.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theultrarider For This Useful Post:
907riders.com (09-02-2010), dbull66 (10-07-2009), hostile1 (01-06-2010), mtnsld (11-09-2009), sledhed.2008 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Currently: waiting on snow
CATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond reputeCATKILLER has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

good thinking its never to early to start thinking about next year or the rest of this year. i already have to of the dts tracker beacons one for me and one for a buddy but they are getting kinnda old so i just ordered a new one a few days ago it was like 450 bucks my cost but they say its the mest shizzle money can but so whats 450 dollars to save my life or some one elses. and now ill have to spare ones.
good thread theultrarider.
dan

Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Currently: <<<THIS SLED IS FOR SALE>>>
Thanked 2,437 Times in 1,356 Posts
AKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

great post tim, and your right..there is no reason that over the summer every person cant figure out a way(even if it is as simple as 2 less beers on friday night, or putting all your change in a can till fall)so everyone in the hills has gear(and training as well)..I have always loaned my extra beacons out because I dont want to be the one that has to return from a ride without my riding buddy..(yes I hope if I make a mistake and get buried that my buddies will find me as well)but there is no way I could live with myself if someone got buried when I have beacons laying unused at home....(I will also challenge all you riders...that have beacons...buy a spare...when you go for a ride..ask everyone in the group got a beacon?..if not..lend them yours..it is a great gesture..and it shows you care............and for those of you who can afford it..buy an extra loaner avy pack(my kids and I share the one pack I bought this fall)...it is my own goal for this fall to own 2 more packs(for my children to wear..but also to loan to my riding partners when my kids arnt riding)..mike
MY CHALLENGE TO YOU
who of you out there will put there name on this thread and commit to having more gear for either themselves or their partners before first ride next fall?...........

MAXED OUT.......

Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Currently: make vvvvvv go away
Mag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I will have an avy pack for next season.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 PM
AKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
I will have an avy pack for next season.
no..you will have 2 packs....1 for you....and 1 for shwee....

MAXED OUT.......

Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Currently: make vvvvvv go away
Mag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond reputeMag has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSNOWRIDER View Post
no..you will have 2 packs....1 for you....and 1 for shwee....
lol by I, I meant we!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute08DRG700 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good post, I have 3 and insist anyone who rides with me and does not have one of thier own, to wear mine. I bought two avy bags this years as well. I understood a long time ago, the price for these tools is nothgin compared to what I spend on the toy itself!

Old 04-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Currently: I'm riding Baby!!!! Wish you were here!!
Basic Member
BLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond reputeBLONDZ has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I have two extra beacons that I loan out quite often, I even have an extra backpack with shovel, probe and emergency supplies that I lend out too. My daughter has just about the same set up as I do and we have practiced together with them, although I hope to never need to use them, I insist on taking everything every ride (even if it is supposed to just be in the flats). I bought an ABS pack for someone else last year but will most likely end up getting one for myself this year.

Great thread ~ I hope it inspires others to get the gear too.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 AM
OFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond reputeOFT Racing has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Good post Tim. I still only own one set up but plan on buying another. What got me to break down and buy the stuff was that I had a buddy coming up to ride from MN and I did not want to have to tell his mom that he died because I was un prepaired. Also I asked my self why I had no problem buying a hand gun for bear protection but I was being too cheap to buy a beacon even though there are way more icedents with Avys than bears. Last year I was not so good about wearing it but now it goes on every time im in the backcountry. I think everybody should do the same and remind there buddys. One beacon is only good for body recovery.

Dealer for: Skinz Protective Gear, Timbersled Products, Yamaheater, Z Broz, Curve Industries, Elka Shocks, DynoJet products

Email; Rick@OFTRacing.com
www.facebook.com/OverTheTopSledParts

Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Basic Member
mtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond reputemtnsld has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Old 04-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Currently: still a rebel way back in the country
theultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond reputetheultrarider has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Currently: Let's Ride!!
Letitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond reputeLetitsnow***907 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 01:22 AM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Prayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Currently: im here but all my friends are at BCR
Adrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond reputeAdrenalin has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Basic Member
wej388 is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Basic Member
crunch! is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 02:32 PM
TEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeTEH HITMAN has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Currently: Grounded on the Slope for a week
Basic Member
highlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond reputehighlife has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Basic Member
akpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond reputeakpowrider has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Currently: schemeing
ak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond reputeak49er has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 08-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Currently: Trolling
greenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond reputegreenspeed has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Currently: Waiting for a bottomless Lost Lake day!
Basic Member
AKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond reputeAKCoop has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Basic Member
Funoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond reputeFunoutfitters.com has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register