• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Satellite Phones

B

Bgraf

Nov 2, 2008
Farmington Hills, MI
I take one for piece of mind, so far no need for emergency but nothing like calling home from 10k +. They don't work inside and I've had issues with weather. Pretty cheap to rent just search and check pricing, Globalstar's go for $6 to 15 per day. Good luck

TREEKNOCKER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Phone

Have had Globalstar for 8 years now,fanatastic to have along,used when riverboating,quadding,esp sleddings.Great to let folks at home know your ok or let them know what else you need for camp.Sometimes hit and miss to reach a satelite,but globalstar will give you a schedule when its best to use,usally on 1/2 hour intervels.

M
Nov 26, 2007
BC
the iridium is about 1700 here in canada and the globalstar that rarely works is cheap and only 20 a month unlimited use. does anyone here ever get through on global?

J

joeoim

Dec 29, 2007
Western Colorado
I've had a globalstar. Worked ok, then about 2 years ago even if I could get enough signal to make a call, rarely could I finish even a short message.

They have gave me an Iridium. I can't recall exact price, but it was Pricy. Then I think it is $1.48 a minute. It works very well though.

Joe

F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
This might sound nasty but just deal with it....

Iridium is the only Sat phone company to use....

If you truely are looking to buy one for safety and you have a Globalstar then you are either A. and idiot or B. not informed.... C. or both. Don't be fooled with Globalstars pricing... it's a scam. Their service doesn't work.

Iridium works everywhere on the planet....everywhere! My service is 30 bucks a month US and then 1.50 a minute if I use it....

If your life depends on a call and you have Globalstar then consider yourself dead.... Sorry but that's just the way it is.

Type into google "Globalstar problems" and see for yourself.

I've used both so I know first hand......

Now if I can get Iridium to pay me for this type of testimonial......

F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
Have had Globalstar for 8 years now,fanatastic to have along,used when riverboating,quadding,esp sleddings.Great to let folks at home know your ok or let them know what else you need for camp.Sometimes hit and miss to reach a satelite,but globalstar will give you a schedule when its best to use,usally on 1/2 hour intervels.

Give me a break!!! I always schedule my emergencies.... What a joke.

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
Globalstar

I have been a dealer for some time on the Globalstar, and have 2 that I rent out. I won't sell one to anyone and I won't rent one out unless they flat out insist on it. Then I always check to see if they were even able to use it, before I will let them pay me anything.
The service is bad and only works a small portion of the time and you better hope its when you really need it. They keep saying that they are going to lauch more Sats but I see nothing changing, if you can get the Iridium go for it because it works.

G

Grizzly Adams

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 2, 2009
Globalstar is not reliable at all! I heard of Msat is that iridium or another company? Would like to get another sat ph but got a piece o crap G-star and I'll give her the old flusherooo!

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
GlobalStar satellites are dying a slow (but increasingly fast) death.
The Milpitas, CA based company had planned to re-launch replacements in 2007, but a lack of funding stopped progress.

Ironically, they did receive recognition in 2009 for their consumer "SPOT" transceiver product that everyone raves about.
But Data transmission is very different from voice transmission as it is not time-sensitive (as in milliseconds).
It can re-transmit data frames if an acknowledgment is not received and nobody knows or complains.

Globalstar just recieved $574m from France's Export Credit Agency to acquire satellites from a French-led venture Thales Alenia Space a few days ago - so hopefully that will help them over time.

For now, thought you're better off going with Iridium even at the higher cost.
An inexpensive alternate solution is HAM radios (Yaesu, Kenwood, etc) if you have HAM repeaters in your area.

Best of luck!

MtnDoo

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input...
My research showed Iridium to be the best choice also and your input has firmed up my decision; understanding that their is not always a guarantee for a connection.
A recent event that occurred to me has prompted my desire for a Sat Phone...35 miles in, no cell service, broken leg, fortunately during our snowmobile club ride and there were people at a nearby cabin, managed to get out on an old analog phone to 911, that's when the communications issues started believe it or not. Essentially the old phone could not maintain a connection long enough to get to the right 911 dispatch/Sheriff and Search and Rescue for our vicinity. I learned that communication is key in a situation such as this so the appropriate parties can respond in a timely manner. My situation was resolved fairly quickly, I survived, leg in tact, helicopter evac. pretty good story to tel the grand kids some day. My thanks go out to some pretty good people that were there to help with my situation. :)

F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
Here is my phone.....

0926081921a.jpg

S

snofoshow

Feb 16, 2009
Spot

GlobalStar satellites are dying a slow (but increasingly fast) death.
The Milpitas, CA based company had planned to re-launch replacements in 2007, but a lack of funding stopped progress.

Ironically, they did receive recognition in 2009 for their consumer "SPOT" transceiver product that everyone raves about.
But Data transmission is very different from voice transmission as it is not time-sensitive (as in milliseconds).
It can re-transmit data frames if an acknowledgment is not received and nobody knows or complains.

Globalstar just recieved $574m from France's Export Credit Agency to acquire satellites from a French-led venture Thales Alenia Space a few days ago - so hopefully that will help them over time.

For now, thought you're better off going with Iridium even at the higher cost.
An inexpensive alternate solution is HAM radios (Yaesu, Kenwood, etc) if you have HAM repeaters in your area.

Best of luck!

MtnDoo

I have been wondering about getting a SPOT. The reviews on it (from what I read) were not too good. would be nice to have if ever needed though.

B
I used to have a Globalstar but since their satellite constellation started going to hell, they've been unreliable. You typically have to wait 20 min to get service. When you do get service you only have about 2 min of airtime.
I now have an Iridiumn and it's great. I've always had service.

IMO, the SPOT is a fabulous way of getting a distress call out, fairly inexpensive and will provide your location, send a message, etc. However depending on a lot of conditions you may never know if your signal was received...you hope that it does but what if it does not, how long can you wait to find out, my first hand experience with a rescue situation was that if Search and Rescue is involved they are dispatched by the Sheriff having jurisdiction of the area you are in...if they do not know the circumstances of your emergency it could be hours before they arrive and can determine how an evac or resucue will take place. Having a method of communicating with the Jurisdiction is essential in a life threatening situation, the cost is substantially more for a Sat phone but it would provide peace of mind knowing that you have communication with the rescue operation and can describe the situation. I came across a person recently that has a SPOT, Sat phone, Garmin 530 HCX, BCA Tracker, about $2,500 all in, may sound paranoid but I guess he feels safe.....I probably would also.

Premium Features