For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Cameras All things Still Photography

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
yardworks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ?'s for you Digital photography buffs...

Heading west next week. Just picked up a new Canon 50D. Yes, Im probably in over my head. I am wanting to shoot some good action shots of friends and some nice landscape shots. Last go round I got some great pics with my brothers rebel xti, a majority of them were dark and needed photoshoping. The auto settings seem to be better on this camera. I know, read the manual and learn more about it and quit using the auto settings. Any tips for shooting in the bright sunsine with snow reflection? Will the kit 28-135 lens cover most of my shots? May have access to borrow some other lenses before I go out. I picked up a backpack/slingpack from Sams Club for SLR's $39. I like the idea of accessing the camera without taking the pack completly off.

Again, any tips will be helpful.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Currently: Sicker than a f'n dog.....
Basic Member
rhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond repute

Couple suggestions:

Practice Practice Practice. Digitial makes it cheap and easy to do so.

Get a Lens hood. - I actually have a soft rubber one that works pretty well, and can compress around the lens. It was pretty cheap too.

Get a Canon 50mm prime lens, and use THAT for you sledding lens.
Pro's - it's CHEAP (85 bucks or so). It's reasonably fast, and pretty sharp also it's light and small. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8.../dp/B00007E7JU

Con's - it's a fixed focal length, so no Zoom.

I use it for my riding because if I break a fifty dollar lens I won't be as pissed as breaking a much more expensive lens - Lenses are not cheap and high end Canon L series glass is SPENDY. The kit lens is pretty good (if it's the new IS version - I think it is) and isn't too spendy, so if you do prang it up, you can replace it for a resonable price. It should cover MOST of your riding needs, I've found mostly I take landscape shots while riding so a wide angle lens works best for that.

Nice camera by the way. I'm still on a Reble XT

Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Currently: show me the pow
Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond reputeTuesday has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I have been experimenting with my D-SLR canon XSI and I too have found it tricky to get the "perfect" shots. So far I found it best to keep the camera and target i am shooting in the same light ie. dont be standing in the shade shooting into light or vs versa. Second I rarely find auto mode works well most just mess with the manual settings. I find it helps to bump up the aperture to +1or 2 if the item I am shooting is showing up dark. Lots of times the sled and person will look dark because the camera is sensing all the light from the snow. Bumping up settings may make the background or snow look a bit more washed out but the rider looks clearer. The auto bracketing is nice because it will give a good feel for what the camera settings should be. Honestly, most times its a pain to get the camera out find the right settings but after awhile you get better at guessing what the camera is going to like. So far my best pics turn out when we are both in the sun and the sun is at my back so that the target has alot of light. Havent messed with the iso much. I imagine that would help out as well. Most pics I have are in the 400 range for iso.

Remember a great winter shot may be 1 per 100 or even worse at first but with more practice and settings hopefully the ratio will start to improve. Last trip out took 3-400 photos got about 6 great shots. They where alot of decent photos but always looking for the perfect shot. Then what really sucks (as most photographers will agree) is you great shots of your buddys but never a killer shot of yourself hehe. The D-SLR helps out though eventually they get lucky!

Like mentioned before lens help alot but can be spendy, heavy, and dont really want to break one. So far I have been using the smaller lens it came with. Just make sure to get close to your target.

I would be curious if others had a recipe for different light conditions ie high/med/ low light for action/sled shots and also recipes for landscapes to get the best pic. Limiting factors will most likely be lens as at this point I dont plan to hike 4 lens worth $$$$.

I did round up a polarized lens cover and plan do some testing with that.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Basic Member
BroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond reputeBroT has a reputation beyond repute
Default coupla tips

1. I would make sure you have a circular polarizer and learn how to use it. It can really make a huge difference on blue bird days.

2. Like they say above...practice is cheap with these

3. Learn your auto focus and the servo settings for action shots

4. Know where your light is coming from and use it to your advantage. Sometimes I will have my buddies hit a shot two or three times so I can get in different angles to take the shot.

5. Learn how to "pan" your shots. This will allow you to focus on the moving object and blur the scenery around the moving object...a cool effect.

6. Have fun!

Also - make sure your buddies buy a good camera and learn how to use it or you will never have any good action shots of you!

My two cents...

BroT

Old 02-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Currently: Thinking
freak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond reputefreak58trio has a reputation beyond repute

A polarized lens will help with the glare from the snow so that the snow does not over expose the picture . Most newer digital cameras have a pretty good auto setting now but if you switch to manual mode remember your going to have to close you aperature settings a couple of sizes as to not over expose the picture if shooting in bright conditions. But like said above shooting with a digital camera is cheap compared to learning with a film camera like i did.

Last edited by freak58trio; 02-01-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Basic Member

Thanks for all the input. Spent some quality time on amazon last night and today. Ordered the ef50mm 1.8 lens, a couple of cap keepers and some uv protecters. My brother is letting me borrow his 70-200ef l lens.(u break it u buy it). Need some quiet time away from the kids to do some reading. My brother is also loaning me his " Understanding Exposure" book. Said I would learn alot by reading it. This 50d takes increadable pictures. I went this way so we can swap equipment. Cant wait to actually figure it out. Man, I thougt buying sled parts were expensive....$2K for good lenses...holy $#%#!!!!!!!. Like Tuesday said, anybody with any recipies for different conditions feel free to chime in. And yes, Bro T, I seem to be the only one in the group who takes pics on a regular basis.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Basic Member
rhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond reputerhein1969 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll like the Nifty Fifty - takes good shots for a cheep price.

Heres some I took yesterday with the same lens - ignore the black blotch in the upper right - got dust on the sensor

http://picasaweb.google.com/r.hein19...31January2009#

Every one was with the 50mm.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:28 PM
MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Dunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond repute

I ride with my D2xs and a 70-200 2.8, why would you want to take your nice camera out and just use a 50 1.8?

Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Basic Member
Vertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics rhein, that 50 works for you. I recently bought a Canon XTi and am having a blast learning how to really utilize the camera. As a few of you said, Practice. I carry camera and at least 1 lens everywhere I go anymore. Take from 20 -200 pics a day and maybe get 1-10 decent shots.

I carry a Canon 35-80mm f/4.0 and a Tamron 28-200 f/3.8-5.8 Aspherical when I go sledding. Seems to cover any situation and if I break either I'm out very little since I bought both off Ebay for a fraction of what new are.

Last edited by Vertical_Escape; 02-01-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Dunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond repute

not that the 50mm is a bad a lens, I have one and love it, it is easily one of the best lens for the money.

One of the best tricks I learned for taking pics in the snow, is to overexpose a bit, I just bump up to a +3 for sunny days and a +7 for crappy days, and take a manual white balance reading, I carry an expodisc for taking WB readings, takes about 30 seconds...

Old 02-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Basic Member
Vertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond reputeVertical_Escape has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Currently: MULE
Ex-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Jmx571
Currently: Not set. Edit

Click Here to Register

Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Currently: Have snow, will travel.
sledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond reputesledchick has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Basic Member
Speednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant futureSpeednutt has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register

Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Basic Member
Burndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond reputeBurndown1 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Currently: Investing in A-Arms
Zachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond reputeZachcreek has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Currently: Criminal Justice Student, FVCC
Vboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond reputeVboost has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Currently: MULE
Ex-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Currently: Veni Vidi Vici
Basic Member
duke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond reputeduke1n has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register