• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard Starting 900

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Ok today was going to go out for a ride and it was only 2 degrees out I could not even pull the cord out of the sled me and my dad both tried many poles and the rope still would barely come out. So I backed the trailer into the garage and put the heat gun on the motor for only about 10 minutes and i was able to start it right up and ran perfect all day. My question is if i put the electric start on will that be able to turn over that big motor when it's that cold. And also how hard is that to install?

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
I could not even pull the cord out of the sled me and my dad both tried many pulls and the rope still would barely come out.

LOL!!! :D
Welcome to the Big Bore!!
Eat your wheaties and put some lead in your pants!!!
I would not want to have to tease a 19 year old that needs an electric start!!! JK :eek:
-T

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I hear ya!!! First time out on mine up in northern MN and woke up to -10, all the sleds were hard to pull, then I got to the 900 and wow!! I pulled it a few times good and slow and then gave it 1 good pull and it fired right off. The next time it was in the garage I took the recoil off and put on some of that good SLP rope.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
LOL!!! :D
Welcome to the Big Bore!!
Eat your wheaties and put some lead in your pants!!!
I would not want to have to tease a 19 year old that needs an electric start!!! JK :eek:
-T

Yep that's a fact.

I squirted heated premix fuel in the cylinders to loosen up the sled.

What startled me after that in these sub zero temps is the LCD was frozen and would not work. Took about 1/2 hour of runnung before the LCD display would function !!

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Always pull over the sled two to three times before you attempt to give it the real strong agressive pull to start it.
Just the reality of a strong engine.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Yep, let 'er warm up a bit.

Last time I unloaded my sled it was -10°F or so in the morning, drove home and it was all I could do to get the thing to move 180°. An hour or two in the garage and it fired right up.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
I ended up going to the shop witch is about 15 min from where we where planning unloading heated it up with the heat gun and started it and left it running on the trailer. Once it warms up I can start it no problem with one hand. I had me,my dad, and my cousin pulling on it and we could not get the rope out more then a foot. I know someone is going say we need to eat are wheeties again :D

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
06- don't feel t too bad. Beginning of Dec, headed out to the cabin to grab our two 900s from the unheated storage. Sleds had not been run for two months and the temperature that day was -28C. Son in law and I tag teamed each sled to get them running. Finally poured premix down the bore of one to get get it going. The second fired up on it own after only a couple dozen pulls. Got home and that night my hip was feeling the strain and the son in laws back was acting up. You sure do need to eat your wheaties on them cold days.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Better eat up buddy:D

wheaties.jpg

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Only way I could get my 900 started once at -25*C was take out both sp. plugs and pull engine over slowly 6-8 times. Reinstall one plug and pull on rope again until it tries to fire on one cylinder, then reinstall second plug and fire it up.

Luvinit

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sask,Canada
I,ve started mine in -40, in any cold weather I always pull off the clutch side cover and turn the clutch over by hand 10 - 20 times, fires right up and saves shoulder wear and tear.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Ok today was going to go out for a ride and it was only 2 degrees out I could not even pull the cord out of the sled me and my dad both tried many poles and the rope still would barely come out. So I backed the trailer into the garage and put the heat gun on the motor for only about 10 minutes and i was able to start it right up and ran perfect all day. My question is if i put the electric start on will that be able to turn over that big motor when it's that cold. And also how hard is that to install?

I have a used electric start kit for sale if your interested. It will crank the motor over in any conditions.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
electric start

I have a used electric start kit for sale if your interested. It will crank the motor over in any conditions.

i would love to this from you..i sent you a PM..this could be the saviour to the MASS amounts of arguements on the trails when the wife has her 06 700..i dont know how many times i got ripped for starting my 900 and ripping off and mins later she is no where to be found..so i re-trace my steps and see her in the same place with that DEATH look on her face :devil: waiting for me to come start her sled for her..and then the next day she says how sore she is from starting it..lol..!!

so if its a good deal..this could save my marriage ;)

as far as an electric start on a 900..yeh about that...:eek: no way!!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
i would love to this from you..i sent you a PM..this could be the saviour to the MASS amounts of arguements on the trails when the wife has her 06 700..i dont know how many times i got ripped for starting my 900 and ripping off and mins later she is no where to be found..so i re-trace my steps and see her in the same place with that DEATH look on her face :devil: waiting for me to come start her sled for her..and then the next day she says how sore she is from starting it..lol..!!

so if its a good deal..this could save my marriage ;)

as far as an electric start on a 900..yeh about that...:eek: no way!!

Guido...once YOU have a sled with e-start...I guarantee you'll never go back! How much you want SuperDave?

Premium Features