• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New crank and clutch combo pack from Polaris for 700/900?

G

GBCB

Nov 19, 2008
Crested Butte, Co
I talked with my mechanic yesterday and he said he just finished putting in a crank and clutch combo from Polaris for an '06 700. He said for the crank/clutch and belt it was a $1,000. He charged a grand for the labor. Has anyone else heard of this?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
my brother just put the polaris crank kit in his 900. the new kit came with crank, gaskets, new 32mm clutch and a 1115 belt. you can buy the crank kit at babbits for around 822. as for a grand labor i would do the all day for that much seems a little on the steep side.

L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
my brother just put the polaris crank kit in his 900. the new kit came with crank, gaskets, new 32mm clutch and a 1115 belt. you can buy the crank kit at babbits for around 822. as for a grand labor i would do the all day for that much seems a little on the steep side.

Are you positive about the clutch and belt? I saw it listed but it did not mention either of those items. Is it the same P-85 clutch -just with a different taper? Was it a bare clutch?

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Thats weird, I posted on the new crank kit a few weeks ago and was told that I was full of crap. They said Polaris couldnt sell it that cheap.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Are you positive about the clutch and belt? I saw it listed but it did not mention either of those items. Is it the same P-85 clutch -just with a different taper? Was it a bare clutch?

am i sure? yes it was shipped to me and i opened the box and it had all i listed. no it wasn't mentioned when he ordered it he thought he was getting a crank only. but polaris came out with this kit with the heavy duty pto end with the 32mm taper and i guess they decided to help us 900 suckers out and offer a kit at a reasonable price.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
yes it was and when i called my bro he didn't believe me. the bad part was he had just bought a new primary for it. so i bought that from him so it worked out for me :D

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
crank kit

yes its a kit.

Crank, drive clutch, 2 crank seals and a 115 belt.

Its the same piece of junk crank thats in the stock 05/06 with alittle bit bigger PTO -end........... Not big enough and the clutch bolt is still to big.

if you put it in a case thats not perfect they still break, I have one in the shop that is 32mm and it broke again.

The case was out of spec.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
yes its a kit.

Its the same piece of junk crank thats in the stock 05/06 with alittle bit bigger PTO -end........... Not big enough and the clutch bolt is still to big.

if you put it in a case thats not perfect they still break, I have one in the shop that is 32mm and it broke again.

I wouldnt expect you to say anything different.

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
I wouldnt expect you to say anything different.

One would think that Polaris would have fixed the WHOLE problem since Dan has publicly posted how to fix it properly. I have even gleaned enough information to fix my sled. Not a INDYDAN job by any means, but it has lasted.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
yes its a kit.

all i know is you can do the new crank kit and cases for around 1300 bucks and it has to be better than the original. my brothers crank went 3500 miles trouble free. run out was getting high so we pulled it apart and the cases were pounded out so he bought the crank and new cases and had pretty much 0 runout. i would never put a new crank in old cases from what i have learned here on snowest.

K

krat

Jul 30, 2008
Montreal, Qc, Canada
yes its a kit.

indydan,
what is the max runout the 900 can run with?
got 0.002" on mine
dialDSCN1178800exp.jpg

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
all i know is you can do the new crank kit and cases for around 1300 bucks and it has to be better than the original. my brothers crank went 3500 miles trouble free. run out was getting high so we pulled it apart and the cases were pounded out so he bought the crank and new cases and had pretty much 0 runout. i would never put a new crank in old cases from what i have learned here on snowest.

DAWG, Don't take me wrong. I don't blame anyone for going with
the Polaris Update crank, It is a really good Price and at least Polaris made it somewhat afordable to repair and its Stronger PTO-end wise then the 30mm.

I just meant ( Balance wise ) Its the same. They could have done much better.

I realize my crank is very expensive, It was an expensive project and i will never get rich over it. Unfortunately I have it about as resonably priced
as I can and still make it worth the work.

One good thing to expect, My money says Polaris is going to bring the 900 back in full force............Maybe even alittle bit bigger.!!!!!!:D;)

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
SuperDave

Dave, this is not rocket science.

Tell me why Polaris uses a clutch bolt the size of a bulldick and a 30mm pto-end................After they drill & tap the clutch bolt hole there is nothing left of the crank. ( Thats just plain stupid )

The amount of steel ( Thickness ) of my 33mm pto-end with the combo of a bigger 33mm pto- end and a much smaller bolt makes it over twice a strong and twice as thick then a stocker.

Then Polaris goes to 32mm.............WTF ??? and that great big bolt. stupid to say the least.

Don't you ever wonder how some of those people up there keep there jobs ????

Dan

Last edited:
B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
DAWG, Don't take me wrong. I don't blame anyone for going with
the Polaris Update crank, It is a really good Price and at least Polaris made it somewhat afordable to repair and its Stronger PTO-end wise then the 30mm.

I just meant ( Balance wise ) Its the same. They could have done much better.

I realize my crank is very expensive, It was an expensive project and i will never get rich over it. Unfortunately I have it about as resonably priced
as I can and still make it worth the work.

One good thing to expect, My money says Polaris is going to bring the 900 back in full force............Maybe even alittle bit bigger.!!!!!!:D;)

i totally understand where your coming from dan. you got to make money and if i had the extra $$ i would buy your crank cause i know it is the best out there. but after i found out the polaris kit came with a new clutch that makes the crank less than 400 if you count the $150 belt it comes with and a 350 clutch.

heck if i win the lotto i will be on your door step to buy one :D:beer;

Premium Features