• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch weight

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
I've heard of guys taking a gram scale to the hardware store and buying washers of equal weight to add to the primary. I'm riding around 4 and 5k and want to stay on clicker 3 but after adding an hps can I'm hitting 8100 and some times 8200 rpm on powder climbs. So how much weight should I add and where do I add the washers? Thanks for anyone's successful input. Thinking trying the cheap route before spending the 300 for SHR weights.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Clutch Weight

You can just buy the ramps not the secondary spring makes it cheaper for you. I really wouldt want to stack a bunch of heal weight by using washers. Especially Running 4-5k elevation I would vote for tip weight. Just my opinion being able to +&- weight & use you clickers it's a nice clutch set up. So far from what I've personally tested the kit is a comparable mod to the HPS can. And cheaper then an HPS can I'd say it's got better bang for the buck even if you compare full kit SHR $295 - HPS $398 both great products and work as advertised.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Are you suggesting that a HPS can is noticeable a performance improvement or the weights are not? I would only expect a clutch kit improve aspects of performance, e.g., upshift, backshift, engagement, engine braking and heat, but I wouldn't expect it to deliver noticeable top end HP, unless the factory really screwed the pooch on their spec.

To the OP, I believe I am running 4 grams of pivot weight at the same elevation you are riding. Works well on the stock '17, but I am putting in a DJ kit, if it ever shows up. Ordered around Xmas.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Are you suggesting that a HPS can is noticeable a performance improvement or the weights are not? I would only expect a clutch kit improve aspects of performance, e.g., upshift, backshift, engagement, engine braking and heat, but I wouldn't expect it to deliver noticeable top end HP, unless the factory really screwed the pooch on their spec.

Didn't really follow. HPS can makes the 850 go faster up the hill than a stock 850. My 850 goes same speed up a hill as 850 with HPS can. Technically Clutch kits don't add HP to snowmobiles but in some cases deliver more HP to the track that is lost somewhere between crank & drivers. I believe that adding weight to the heal of the ramp at elevations under 7k feet is not as affective as adding tip weight. Especially at 4K-5k feet lots of power and tuning options down that low. What about throwing another tooth at the sled try a 22T. A top gear won't add HP but if the sled pulls it and goes faster up a hill then I'd put it in the same category as HP to better explain the performance increase. And yes I still believe that skidoo screwed the pooch with clutching & chassis, clutches still get really really really hot. Something's still not right No one can argue that. But we make the best of it and enjoy any performance gains we can afford.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Hps can definitely makes more mid range hp. I was not over revving before I added the hps. The right Clutch kit puts the maximum amount of power to the ground.. 1to1. Quick back shift and maintain rpm. I've been loyal Roosterbuilt fan but they still don't have a kit ready for 18 and I'm ready for a kit...hmmmmm

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Hps can definitely makes more mid range hp. I was not over revving before I added the hps. The right Clutch kit puts the maximum amount of power to the ground.. 1to1. Quick back shift and maintain rpm. I've been loyal Roosterbuilt fan but they still don't have a kit ready for 18 and I'm ready for a kit...hmmmmm

Why not just use the kit they had out last season? Just adjust pivot weight till you have proper RPM. Roosterkit is a softer primary spring, stiffer secondary, the Rooster helix and pivot bolt weight kit. I’m running same kit on a 2017 165 3” with the ZRP weights and it pulls hard. I have noticed much smoother engagement, way less clutch heat, and consistent rpms.

Premium Features