• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Leaking Oil Cap

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
Rode last weekend and when I got sled home had a little oil in the pan and on the outside of the oil tank when I did my weekly check on things. No problem, maybe oil cap was a little loose. Cleaned everything up and all was good. Was riding this last Saturday and unfortunately was stuck on a pretty steep angle. As we were digging out noticed oil coming out all over. Took side cover off and oil cap was cross threaded. Odd because I checked it when I filled oil. Took cap off and put on straight and when it gets to the point of being tight it jumps a thread and goes out of whack. End result was oil all over on left side of sled including clutches. Anyone else have this issue? 2017 Axys 163 x 3. Still under warranty but can't see taking it to dealer for an oil cap. Thanks for any info.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
Bought 3 of those inserts for my Doos. Can't remember where I got them from. Someone here on SnoWest. Got a name for me? Thanks

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Take it to the dealer while under warranty. The oil reservoir may need to be replaced, not just the cap. You shouldn't need to buy an insert. The oil reservoir and caps were made NOT to leak, so your dealer should get you new parts that work as designed.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Here is Dan's contact info for the inserts

SW user DAN03REV

PM him or this is his email
DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM

All the brands have an issue with their caps / tank neck collapsing or ovaling under torque. This near weightless aluminum insert and O-ring cures it and lets you tighten the cap without having to worry about how much is too much! No sled should be without it, and it's a far better / easier / zero mess solution than those that use a ziplock bag between the tank and the cap.

Premium Features