• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2014 rmk 800 owner advice

Q
Dec 30, 2016
Hi guys im completely green at sledding but have been a dirtbiker all my life. Picked up a 2014 rmk 800 with only 160km on it so its pretty much new. Just wondering wat the first few mods should be? Ive read about a drive shaft strap and tether possibly? Things to watch for with this sled? Thanks for the advice in advance!

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
First thing to do is turn up the oil pump. Do a search on how to do it. I suggest to turn the screw in clockwise 3 turns. And yes a tether is always a must. Consider getting a different vented oil tank cap. I have a Pro Armor tether and don't like it too much. Some people do but I prefer the rubber cap style. Carry a spare quick drive belt just in case. Enjoy your new sled!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Q
Dec 30, 2016
Ok thx i will look into turning the oil pump up. Do these engines like a really good warm up before riding or is it not good to idle them for long with the 2 stroke? Some guys said to put some oil in the fuel tank when filling up as well?

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
i let mine warm up to 100 degrees on gauge before moving it. spark plugs are cheap, engines aren't.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
On mine I turned up the oiler 2 turns from the start. It would be wise to them measure your oil consumption and make sure you didn't go too far. Adding oil to the fuel tank isn't necessary if you turn up your oiler properly. I did the TRS Skidoo thermostat update, I would definitely do that. When I start mine for the day I let it idle until the coolant hits 100 F and then shut it down. Fire it back up when I'm about ready to ride and let the temperature stabilize and go. Any time I start it during a ride I let the temperature stabilize before taking off. After the initial warmup I'm not as particular about what the temp is, just that it has stabilized.
I added a tether, bumper and upgraded the ski rubbers. Have a spare drive belt and maybe a QD belt. My QD belt made it 1500 miles. So far it is a great sled!
Also, if it hasn't been done yet you will probably need to adjust the front track shock to your liking. A lot of them come from the factory loose and the front of the sled feels planted. Tighten it up and keep going until the sleds feels out of control and then back it off a little.

Last edited:
Premium Features