• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blowing belts still........ugh

B
Nov 25, 2012
So I had my 17 850 165 3” in before the season started to get skidoos so called fix it updates done. Went out on my first ride this week and low and behold my clutches were still smoking hot and ended up blowing a belt, albeit same belt I ended last year on, on the trail ride out of the mountains. The clutches weren’t even hot when I changed the belt. I have the proper clutching for my elevation (mxz ramps, low elevation secondary spring), front and back vents, 3” hole cut on my clutch guard, deflection set at about cord height. I changed out the belt to the updated 531 and hopefully I see a difference but I’m skeptical. I had three other riding buddies that had the updates done as well and all three blew a belt within a couple of rides. Also had a buddy that switched to an 18 that has smoking hot clutches too (hasn’t blown the belt yet though).

So my question is what are everyone else that had belt eaters seeing for belt life’s compared to last year? Are your clutches just as hot as last year? I was really hoping that skidoo would have fixed the issue but I’m leaning now towards they just tried to throw us a little bone with no real fix completed.

I’m not asking flat lander and modular helmet wearing riders about this issue just hard mountain riders.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I've never owned a Doo that did not need an aftermarket clutch kit, and I'd consider myself to be just a decent rider who babies my machine compared to guys to who truly test the limits. I heard the T3s were clutched pretty well out of the box, but that was after that same clutching technology had been in production use for 5 or 6 years. It took them that long to get it right. Doo does some things well, but new clutch tech tuning doesn't seem to be one of them. For example, they released the 17 G4 to the mountain market without making any pivot weights available to their dealers, and most of those sleds needed way more weight to prevent over revving. If you are a hard rider, do yourself a favor and get one of the proven aftermarket kits. I know, you shouldn't have to clutch a $12k+ new sled, but you do in this case. I just ordered DJ's kit today. Around $500 plus tools, but it will be worth it to have a setup I can count on without worrying about a belt explosion. It is just way more fun and a whole lot safer, if you put your sled (and yourself) in dangerous spots. And who doesn't? Better sled performance too.

P
Feb 2, 2013
I'm a flat lander modular wearing helmet rider... and I'm not surprised that brp's so called fix isn't working.... the way things are going brp will see 2019 sales plummet.

they can't even satisfy 2017 owners who still have full warranties.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Obviously Doo has not figured out what the problem is. I just don’t get it, we have 2 165’s and a 154 all last year in deep snow. Only one belt at 960 mi. Hopefully the 18’s aren’t random like this.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Our group had two 18s that blew belts at around 80 miles. One was a 146 free ride and the other a 154 sp. I'm at 350mi on my 175 and it's on the first belt...which is more miles than I have gotten out of a belt in years.

Snow4life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
I put 400 and some odd miles on my 17 165 summit X last year and had no belt problems at all. Recently had all the updates done but haven't ridden the sled yet, hopefully the updates weren't a mistake!

S
Jan 15, 2008
North idaho
I bought my 17 165 3" over the summer, 300 miles. Had all the updates done and bought the new belt since didn't have a spare. First couple rides clutches never were hot enough to sizzle snow, but still warm and at lower speeds playing in the trees I smelled the belt once. Installed bj's kit and rode again yesterday. Clutches seem a little cooler and oh man did it wake this thing up! Was being way meaner to it and snow over the hood all day! Keep forgetting my temp gun for some #s but so far so good:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
2018 165 have 5 rides on it now with 3 of the days riding hard in 3 feet of fresh have not had any belt troubles yet and the clutches are scuff free (no slippage from the belt). I stopped to compare clutch temps to a DJ kit 2015 Xm (gets about 700km to a belt), the 850 was a little hotter for sure but not a big difference. I still would run a clutch kit in the 850 to try and drop the temps and gain performance. Roosterbuilt has been getting great results and GVP for us Canadian guys has a solid kit. These 850's have really no airflow under the hood either never seen so much steam coming out of a sled when I stop, venting would be a big help in my mind. I also had a 2018 154 out for a couple rides sled didn't skip a beat no belt issues either. Both 850's pull dead at 7900rpm in good snow with clutches and belts cleaned before the first ride.

For anyone that cares there is an interesting thread in the Polaris section about belt life, 2018 Axys getting boiling hot temps and poor belt mileage too.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Our group had two 18s that blew belts at around 80 miles. One was a 146 free ride and the other a 154 sp. I'm at 350mi on my 175 and it's on the first belt...which is more miles than I have gotten out of a belt in years.

how many belts u taking with you on a ride this season???
last year was a ridicules amount

S
Sep 22, 2005
Pocatello, Id
760 miles on my 165 same belt. Last spring ride of the season and I pulled a thread. Put on the new high temp belt this year and 47 miles on the first ride and looks good. Only
Update I did was the shims.

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
Had a 2017 165 and put 1058 miles on it before blowing a belt and then another 17 has 600+ miles and still counting on first belt. But on my 18 I had 401 miles and blew the first belt. Has over 500 now and will be turboed after the first so we will see if that makes it worse or not.

B
Mar 10, 2013
I have a 17 165 3” that I ran stock last year made it to 600 miles before the first belt was blown this year I did all skidoo updates shr clutching Reving 7900 and a blow hole with the new style belt and I blew a belt in 180miles.

pshirek

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2012
ND
Picked up a 165 3" last spring and only put a couple hundred miles on it, but while checking it on the hill, never felt like it was crazy hot like people were saying. Stopped in to the dealership and they were adamant that I bring it in for the updates. Did the shims and the gearing. Just had first trip out this week and two days ago (about 75 miles) blew the belt, then yesterday blew the crank...I know it might not be related but hard to swallow

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I have the proper clutching for my elevation (mxz ramps, low elevation secondary spring)

So my question is what are everyone else that had belt eaters seeing for belt life’s compared to last year? Are your clutches just as hot as last year?

I’m not asking flat lander and modular helmet wearing riders about this issue just hard mountain riders.

:thumb:

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
I put 852 miles on last year on one belt, and about 150 boosted miles this year on it then put spare on because I ran out of adjustment for deflection. Yesterday ridding 30 inches of fresh on 50 inch base after 5 minutes of full pined to the bar trying not to get stuck the clutches were definitely hot. But I have zero venting and was abusing it. 154 by 3 track and gearing and shim updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I've never owned a Doo that did not need an aftermarket clutch kit, and I'd consider myself to be just a decent rider who babies my machine compared to guys to who truly test the limits. I heard the T3s were clutched pretty well out of the box, but that was after that same clutching technology had been in production use for 5 or 6 years. It took them that long to get it right. Doo does some things well, but new clutch tech tuning doesn't seem to be one of them. For example, they released the 17 G4 to the mountain market without making any pivot weights available to their dealers, and most of those sleds needed way more weight to prevent over revving. If you are a hard rider, do yourself a favor and get one of the proven aftermarket kits. I know, you shouldn't have to clutch a $12k+ new sled, but you do in this case. I just ordered DJ's kit today. Around $500 plus tools, but it will be worth it to have a setup I can count on without worrying about a belt explosion. It is just way more fun and a whole lot safer, if you put your sled (and yourself) in dangerous spots. And who doesn't? Better sled performance too.

heh, sure that was my kit? They are about $375 USD including shipping. Or is $500 "with" tools?
Hope you get a lot of snow to ride in.

S
Jan 15, 2008
North idaho
Ive gotten out a couple times in the last few days and brought my temp gun along. Hottest part of the primary was 190s* secondary 170s* after I was beating it for about 20mins. I've got bj's kit, venting, and of course the cover is cut and holed up.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
to drop belt temps the right TIP weight is required, the more the better (keeping proper RPM) and LESS pivot bolt weight...

softer pdrive spring...

stiffer QRS spring...

HMMMMM sounds like my kit-BJ

Premium Features