• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Somebody Forgot Something....

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
PDI recheck

Well that's one more thing to add to my list. I always recheck all the PDI steps seen a lot of dumb stuff missed. I never would have thought to check primary bolt? That sucks man drop it off and make sure you don't leave without loading up a new sled or the dealers demo sled.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Nice ☹️
Cant say Im surprised, most new Doo’s I have worked on, I pull the clutch and they typucally come off the first time before the puller even gets snug. I doubt they follow their own procedure of cleaning both surfaces, torque, run and re torque...almost always oil between the mating surfaces on new sleds.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
The owner should have been able to hear that thing flopping like a fish outta water and caught it before destroying the engine, clutch, and sled. IMO

Not to mention it running like a 340 fanner with all the wasted motion and slipping.

The owner should have been able to hear that thing flopping like a fish outta water and caught it before destroying the engine, clutch, and sled. IMO

Not to mention it running like a 340 fanner with all the wasted motion and slipping.

Yrs ago a buddy forgot to tighten bolt on his race sled. Made it 3 miles from truck before clutch below apart, but within those moles there was zero signs /noises something was wrong. Just saying it's easy to speculate if it never happened to you.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
When i was at a training coarse for BRP,the instructor took us in the dyno room . He had a sled on the dyno, and run it up to speed , the clutch came off hit the roof and went out the door. Surprisingly it never hit anyone , could of killed someone. ( this was back in the 70's)

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Yrs ago a buddy forgot to tighten bolt on his race sled. Made it 3 miles from truck before clutch below apart, but within those moles there was zero signs /noises something was wrong. Just saying it's easy to speculate if it never happened to you.

I agree. Had one come off a mountain max last year. Showed no premature signs of the bolt coming out.

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Ok, here is the latest: Friend asked for another sled or his money back. Dealer approached BRP and dealer stated they laughed at his request. True, false, or otherwise, we will never know. 17 FREAKING MILES ON THE SLED!!!! It was confirmed that it was an assembly line issue at the factory. Boys, check your primary bolt!

So... the dealer, SK Northwest, says it is warranty and a new bottom end for the motor. That obviously means some underpaid shop monkey has to disassemble the brand new motor. Dunno about you folks, but I have NEVER let a shop work on my sleds. I know there are a lot of great techs out there, but there are plenty of bad as well. I would at least demand a new crate motor- complete.

Any bets on when he will get back on the snow? My bet is for February at the earliest. Maybe we should start a pool for this?

I won't throw SK under the bus too far yet, but they haven't offered a demo sled or anything. In my opinion, in this case, with only 17 miles on the machine, the dealer needs to buy it back. If he doesn't he is a total dickwad.

I will keep all posted on the outcome here.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
Torque Stripe

This is what I found visually when I took a look at mine. Currently at 40 miles (one little break-in ride before snow turned to crap).

If that's a torque stripe it looks like mine has backed off some. Putting a socket on it and doing what I could just holding the primary with my hands it's not "loose".

Anyone have any good suggestions for holding the primary? I'm not too keen on sticking a pry bar into a clutch I'm not totally familiar with yet.

Also, does anyone know where the torque stripe is applied? Factory I assume. Does the dealer typically remove primary? I know the belt is not installed for shipping but is the dealer expected to do any with the primary?

IMG_8233.jpg

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Anyone have any good suggestions for holding the primary? I'm not too keen on sticking a pry bar into a clutch I'm not totally familiar with yet.

Put a strap wrench on it.
a4afca86a8e56a4e045df8a66ff5e963.jpg

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
Put a strap wrench on it.

Yep, the strap wrench in my toolbox wasn't big enough. Guess I gotta find one that's bigger, or find a replacement strap.

By may calcs it takes at least a 28-30 inch length of strap (~8.5 inch primary dia X pi + a little to grab). Quick web search didn't find anything that long. Looks like I'll be modding a strap wrench this week!

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
You should be able to make a tie down strap work. Hook on the running board, a couple wraps and back to the running board with the tensioner end. Snug it a bit and torque it.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Warranty

Ok, here is the latest: Friend asked for another sled or his money back. Dealer approached BRP and dealer stated they laughed at his request. True, false, or otherwise, we will never know. 17 FREAKING MILES ON THE SLED!!!! It was confirmed that it was an assembly line issue at the factory. Boys, check your primary bolt!

So... the dealer, SK Northwest, says it is warranty and a new bottom end for the motor. That obviously means some underpaid shop monkey has to disassemble the brand new motor. Dunno about you folks, but I have NEVER let a shop work on my sleds. I know there are a lot of great techs out there, but there are plenty of bad as well. I would at least demand a new crate motor- complete.

Any bets on when he will get back on the snow? My bet is for February at the earliest. Maybe we should start a pool for this?

I won't throw SK under the bus too far yet, but they haven't offered a demo sled or anything. In my opinion, in this case, with only 17 miles on the machine, the dealer needs to buy it back. If he doesn't he is a total dickwad.

I will keep all posted on the outcome here.

Warranty threw the factory is only as good as the dealer you buy the snowmobile from. Good dealers can get screwed by BRP when standing up for a customer. Or the dealer tries to keep both parties happy by talking out the side of its mouth, telling the customer BRP laughed at them but don't worry we are working on it for you. Then telling BRP don't worry customer is subdued and coaporating let's just get it taken care of in a coast affective way. This means BRP sends parts and the dealer does cheep labor and customer is out time. Best thing for a customer to do is make it clear to the dealer what you want day 1 not just a screaming phone call and then you go to the dealer backpeddle and apologize for yelling at the dealer saying I know it's not there fault. Stay calm yelling and screaming gets you know where tell the dealer what happen send pictures and head to the dealer as soon as possible. Do not leave that dealership without a new snowmobile or demo sled to ride till your snowmobile is fixed. A good dealer will not leave you stranded without a snowmobile during prime riding time. But if they call the cops when you start to load up another sled it's time to find a new dealer and get ahold of a lawyer. You wouldn't buy a brand new truck blow the tranny in 17mi and leave that dealership without a new truck or a loaner. Sorry for the long winded poast I hope your buddies dealer does the right thing.

Last edited:
D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
While I am sure that some dealers are able to give out demo's for warranty issues, there is no way there are enough demo's to give out to every guy that has an issue. Motor vehicles yes, because there is lots of them available.

As far as replacing with a new one, who is eating the sales tax on the second sled?? The dealer, good luck on that one.

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
This is what I found visually when I took a look at mine. Currently at 40 miles (one little break-in ride before snow turned to crap).

If that's a torque stripe it looks like mine has backed off some. Putting a socket on it and doing what I could just holding the primary with my hands it's not "loose".

Also, does anyone know where the torque stripe is applied? Factory I assume. Does the dealer typically remove primary? I know the belt is not installed for shipping but is the dealer expected to do any with the primary?

I use a short ratchet strap. One rubber coated hook on the clutch tower other to suspension

Premium Features