• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many of you have bent aarms on the 16 pro?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I had a interesting chat with a dealer and performance shop the other day while ordering bulkhead supports for a pro project. He said they have seen a couple bulkheads already done in, he attributed 1 to the fact they where running aftermarket a-arms that where stronger than OEM. He mentioned a lot of guys with broken a-arms. One of his last comments was if the a-arms aren't bending or breaking the bulkheads would be toast on these new Axys's. Don't shoot the messenger I don't have an AXYS, just got into some side banter while waiting for the computer to get to the credit card screen I guess.

How much snow is in the area?

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
AXYS Bulkhead

I have 3 of the MY15 Trail AXYS bulkheads sitting in my shop with holes in the bulkheads from where the A-Arm punched a hole through on a impact. None of the sleds were "totaled" all 3 required a new tunnel assembly. The first one the ski was bent from an impact and the upper A-Arm was twisted. the second the lower A-Arm inpacted a object which caused a bend in the lower, and the 3rd was landing from a jump with the ski's turned. There is a weak spot in the front castings that the Pro's did not have. I chose to wait to see if this becomes an issue before making the purchase of a new AXYS. PS if you need a front casting i have 1 right and 1 left plus some of the other front castings and front tunnel coolers.

I Will try to post some pics tonight.

Last edited:
K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
In the likelihood bulkheads are breaking, it's not going to be polaris' problem. In those cases it becomes the problem of anyone who isn't carrying collision.

I can't even imagine not having insurance on a $14,000 sled that you ride off trail.....total no brainer.

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have 3 of the MY15 Trail AXYS bulkheads sitting in my shop with holes in the bulkheads from where the A-Arm punched a hole through on a impact. None of the sleds were "totaled" all 3 required a new tunnel assembly. The first one the ski was bent from an impact and the upper A-Arm was twisted. the second the lower A-Arm inpacted a object which caused a bend in the lower, and the 3rd was landing from a jump with the ski's turned. There is a weak spot in the front castings that the Pro's did not have. I chose to wait to see if this becomes an issue before making the purchase of a new AXYS. PS if you need a front casting i have 1 right and 1 left plus some of the other front castings and front tunnel coolers.

I Will try to post some pics tonight.

Curious, did those that broke the bulkheads have stock or aftermarket A-Arms?

You Eastern trail guys ride a lot faster than us Western boondockers, that may account for a little more extreme carnage.

Last edited:

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
picture.php

picture.php

These were on the 15 AXYS that had stock tube A-Arms, not the forged like the 16 RMK models. However thge condition of the sleds was not bad, they were all still able to drive, steer etc. Its just that the impact shocked the casting and punched out the mount. The only damage to the chassis/bulkhead was the hole punched through it from the A-Arm. I will add that from looking and tearing down the sleds these were low speed maybe 0-20 impacts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 22, 2009
This is why I can't figure how Alt Impact arms haven't completely stolen the market... Designing in an easy, trail repairable, cheap shear point is brilliant.

I suspect the bulkhead is just as durable as the old Pro. I think the spindle is the next weak point after the lower a-arm.

I think Dan may be on his way to stealing the market. In talking to him the other day he was saying he can't make them fast enough... as soon as they are done he is sold out and waiting on another batch form the powder coater. It's a design that makes sense, he's priced right, he answers the phone, is active on SW and answers your questions. Pretty simple really. He got my money without question, just to have the set as backup for now.

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
Well I have tried to post the pics for over an hour now and I can't get them to post! I have them in the photo album if somebody can help.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Here's the pics from YOOPERREV's photo files that he was trying to post.

I'm feeling pretty good about my decision to go with Alt Impact A arms with the fail point built into the rod ends (see photo). As mentioned should help with stress to the taller spindles too.

The rod ends are fairly inexpensive and would take maybe 15 minutes to swap out while out in the Mnts'

user48305_pic32390_1449321434.jpeg user48305_pic32391_1449321434.jpeg IMG_8023.jpg

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Here's the pics from YOOPERREV's photo files that he was trying to post.

I'm feeling pretty good about my decision to go with Alt Impact A arms with the fail point built into the rod ends (see photo). As mentioned should help with stress to the taller spindles too.

The rod ends are fairly inexpensive and would take maybe 15 minutes to swap out while out in the Mnts'

Guys racing in the iron dog last year we're having that piece rip out of the bulkhead.
I guess a piece of solid aluminum with threaded studs out each side was what they used to strengthen that area.
Knock the stock studs out first. :)

Hazards of encapsulated ball joints.........
Probably why poo made the lower arm fail point.
Selling parts is where the oem and the dealers make their bread and butter.

K
Nov 15, 2015
Breckenridge, CO
I bent both stock lowers in the rear of the arm and both were substantial hits with no tunnel damage. I replaced with alternative impact and was good for a few rides but i hit a hidden rock very hard and bent the lower left arm in the same spot as the stock ones but still no tunnel damage. All impacts threw me off the sled I'm pretty impressed that I haven't damaged the bulk head or tunnel yet.

Last edited:

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Just joined this club... and I really didn't hit anything I would describe has hard.... I know I bumped a stump last ride out, about the same as smacking your shoulder into a door jam.... I felt it and didn't' think twice, didn't even disturb my line or the speed of the sled.

Tweaked the crap about of the lower left arm..

My other three will be for sale very soon as I am going aftermarket...

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Yeah, joined the club two weeks ago. Hit a sharp rock hard enough to cut through the entire outside of my ski. Was on a sidehill and threw me over the bars.

Thinking the stock strength is ok... could possibly be better I guess??

But figure in number of hits people! Some say they hit it hard with no damage, but if you hit something hard enough many times, something will happen in the metall. So then you might hit "soft" or "not hard" and it breaks.. Maybe not THAT strange after all??

When all is said and done, I apreciate the light weight + being able to ride out after a hit. Cudos to AI for taking it a step further to!

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
In 10-12' of Snow a Cooke this weekend I smoked a rock and had zero damage to the Z Bros 36" arms or any chassis scratches or damage ...

My stock is Assault so little different story but have bent plenty of them with no chassis damage

But the Chezzy RMK spindles snap right off like a cracker !!

Pretty much looks like a bunch of Aluminum foil pounded together with a Cotton Mallet

Last edited:
B
Dec 17, 2016
I ride in low snow and bent three stockers and am now on steel lowers with no problems. they are too weak in my opinion. Lots of my friends have assaults with the stock steel arms and they are awesome. on my next axys i will remove and sell the stock arms immediately and put on zbroz or alt impact.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I ride in low snow and bent three stockers and am now on steel lowers with no problems. they are too weak in my opinion. Lots of my friends have assaults with the stock steel arms and they are awesome. on my next axys i will remove and sell the stock arms immediately and put on zbroz or alt impact.

First ride yesterday on Alt Impact 36" front end with standard thickness lowers (Opted out of the HD version). Found a rock in an open field and another one on a side hill.

Both impacts threw me off the sled (sideways) and rolled the sled over.

Zero damage..

Gunk

Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2015
north west Iowa
A-arm myth

I have been reading about all the "A arm problems" , and i know things break, but the forged A arms are the best Polaris has had in a long time. we always have at least one set of arms on hand no matter the modle sled , and not yet to use tha Axys forged arms . A friend smoked a tree at a full climb and broke off the top , 8" diameter and yes bent it but still road the rest of the trip, saying " it rides fine I dont need to change it"

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
First ride yesterday on Alt Impact 36" front end with standard thickness lowers (Opted out of the HD version). Found a rock in an open field and another one on a side hill.

Both impacts threw me off the sled (sideways) and rolled the sled over.

Zero damage..

Upon closer inspection after getting home the arms are okay, the upper ball joint on the side that hit the rock bent. Spares are cheap and easy to swap. Did what it was designed to do.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

C
Dec 3, 2007
Alberta
Just got back from 2 days riding & bent a lower arm. No idea what I hit if anything. Didn't notice it all during riding. Only seen the damage once sled was up on the deck heading home.

Found a factory take off cheap enough & wonder if anyone has the torque values for all the attaching points? Thanks

Premium Features