• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 axys keeps going into limp mode

F
Dec 11, 2009
Got enough snow to go for a road ride today on my 800 axys. Had my dealer put a stage 2 SLP kit on it. It ran great but after 7 mi the check engine lite would come on and it would go into a limp mode. I shut it off, it would clear but it would do it again and again. I stuffed a bunch of snow on the pipe and let it cool for 15 minutes and it was better but after awhile it started up again. It never over heated plenty of soft snow for the coolers so Im not sure what it is

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
So you did the stage 2 on mile one? I really think break in is huge on any sled. That aside, did the stage 2 involve the Bullydog or any mapping changes?

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
You need to take it to dealer so they can check what code is being thrown when engine light comes on

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Make sure your throttle cable is tight, the Pros are notorious for the cable being to loose and the throttle not coming back and hitting the stop causing it to go into limp mode, easy fix.

S
Nov 27, 2007
that would be my guess also....Over rev. You might want to push recall on the gauge to see what kind of rpms that its been running. Or deto sensor...........

most first ride check engine lights are due to detonation sensor. Normally the gas has been sitting for at least a month in the sled before it gets burned out

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Check the DTC you're getting.

Set the brake without turning off the sled, with the MIL still on, hit SEL button until the ERR and associated codes come up, after engine hours. Write down the SPN and FMI code(s). Roll through them withe the MODE button, holding it down between codes, to make sure you get them all, if there's more than one. Codes are likely similar to the ProRide, if you don't have a manual, report back.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Got enough snow to go for a road ride today on my 800 axys. Had my dealer put a stage 2 SLP kit on it. It ran great but after 7 mi the check engine lite would come on and it would go into a limp mode. I shut it off, it would clear but it would do it again and again. I stuffed a bunch of snow on the pipe and let it cool for 15 minutes and it was better but after awhile it started up again. It never over heated plenty of soft snow for the coolers so Im not sure what it is

fm:

Have your dealer check the Exhaust Temp Sensor. My '13 kept going into Det mode intermittenly. Dealer scoped it, replaced it and it has been OK since then. It can become a real PITA having the sled Det, especially when you're in a climb and it falls flat on it's ***.

SLP

Premium Member

The problem you are experiencing is from too light of clutching for early season "road" riding where there is not much load on the engine. These sleds are geared fairly low and what happens is they hit full shift out quickly and then the motor starts to over-rev a bit. If you are clutched light and if you stay in the throttle it will go into limp mode. This will require you to shut the sled off and re-start it to clear it.

The fix for the issue is to clutch it more aggressively. You can also put the resistor that came with the pipe kit in-line with the EGT sensor and it will add 4% fuel at rpm levels above about 7700 rpm. The resistor can be removed (for elevations above 4000') when we get into real winter conditions with the deeper snows that load the engine as intended.

We found this issue yesterday in our testing as well. We have updated our instruction sheets to reflect the heavier clutching we are recommending. http://www.slp.cc/instsheets/015-axys82.pdf You should not experience your limp mode problem once you have made these changes. Please contact us with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Jerry Mathews - SLP

D
Oct 13, 2008
The problem you are experiencing is from too light of clutching for early season "road" riding where there is not much load on the engine. These sleds are geared fairly low and what happens is they hit full shift out quickly and then the motor starts to over-rev a bit. If you are clutched light and if you stay in the throttle it will go into limp mode. This will require you to shut the sled off and re-start it to clear it.

The fix for the issue is to clutch it more aggressively. You can also put the resistor that came with the pipe kit in-line with the EGT sensor and it will add 4% fuel at rpm levels above about 7700 rpm. The resistor can be removed (for elevations above 4000') when we get into real winter conditions with the deeper snows that load the engine as intended.

We found this issue yesterday in our testing as well. We have updated our instruction sheets to reflect the heavier clutching we are recommending. http://www.slp.cc/instsheets/015-axys82.pdf You should not experience your limp mode problem once you have made these changes. Please contact us with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Jerry Mathews - SLP

I bought 2 pipe sets about 1 1/2 months ago and they came with the same set up as in the link you just posted. Did this change since then or did I miss something. I am set up for 3-6 k

SLP

Premium Member
I bought 2 pipe sets about 1 1/2 months ago and they came with the same set up as in the link you just posted. Did this change since then or did I miss something. I am set up for 3-6 k

We only changed the clutching specs at elevations above 6000'. At your elevation we were recommending the stock Black driven spring which loads the engine more than the Black/Purple.

Everything I posted applies to you as well. Snows this time of year are normally icy below and light on top which is much different than even an in-season groomed trail. The sleds are purpose built mountain sleds that were not really ever meant to run big trail miles at high speed. This time of year, that's all we have, so most of us try to get our sleds through their break in period in this snow. It's fine to do that, just follow the directions I posted above.

Thanks,

Jerry - SLP

Premium Features