• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 4 over rev

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Have two 2017 850 Summit X and noticed the same over-rev issue last year. Took them back to the dealer and had them checked out, everything was fine and the mechanic told me not to worry about it and the 8200-8250 was normal for the 850 and would not be a problem and the ECU would not let the engine rev high enough to harm it's self. Season two and no issues.

Last edited:
I have noticed the same issue with my 17/850, always suspected it was when I was on the tail spinning the track or in the air. I added weight (3 washers to each pivot bolt) and the max did come down some but still hitting 8300 at some point every ride. A solid 8/81000 would be ideal.

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
Think doo really steped into this pdrive a little soon, I don’t want a primary that takes a motor out of its tq range, maybe this is why when we raced the 850 against a xm last year onnhard pack trails it never had a chance, power is not getting to snow, even thou the motor is 10hp more.. sure makes you think who is testing these things..

From a tuners perspective it'd be nice if the max RPM recorded was an indication of consistent max RPM over a period of several seconds and not just a small blip in time. If it's at 8k on climbs, when you need it most, then the motor is running right where you want it.

I say peek at your gauge a little more often to make sure this is the case, and if so then don't worry about it.

From a seat of the pants feeling, this sled is putting down way more power than my XM and has me very impressed. Racing side by side means nothing to me.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Clutchd and geared this thing is an animal. Was drag racing mine at arctic man last year, dead stock geared up and clutched . It did well even in the open Mod I got several runs , we were running a short course around 600 feet in groomed snow.
In one of the clases we had 3 run's against the eventuall winner of the king of drags it was that close. Not trying to brag -- just saying if she does not pull hard its not clutched right and clutched right it can pull way more gearing. By the way this was with my basic deep pow set up not any fancy drag race only stuff. (At about 660-680 feet it hits the rev limiter so about perfect gearing almost by accident):face-icon-small-hap Now it would be nice if we could get it set up like that from DOO

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
What's it pinging off of ? Ball park figure ? Just curious since they have a history of turning some serious revs .

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Rev limiter must be somewhere around the 8450 rpm range
never seen more on any of our's that was in 17 before clutching. As it came stock from the dealer mine would peg and stay at just under 8300 in pow without ever hitting the limiter. But almost every one had a max in the 8400 showing. Most likely a spike to fast for us to even see onthe digital readout.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
rev limiter 8800
NEVER use recall
always observe
less primary spring
more secondary
more tip weight
add vents
call SHR-BJ

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
We just got back from Revy where snow is stupid deep, 5 feet of fresh each morning

We had out a t3 174 with bakers skid and can, shockwave helix, not sure if it had a belt drive..

I had my stock G4 175 and another g4 the same.. We pulled many hills over the three days and the t3 was always right there or ahead.. To be honest it was ahead more than behind..

G4 is just not getting it to the snow, and I do believe it's making 10 more hp..

Will be adding more pin weight to pull motor down some.. A buddy is bringing a p85 primary next trip to compare as well on his G4..

Might make the max rpm start working as well like it should be..

Premium Features