• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best deep snow track for a 155 with belt drive

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Ok, i know its been beat to death on the fourms about tracks, but now were into season 3 with our axys, what is the number 1 deep snow trax.
Iv just moved from northern bc where we have smaller snow fall and colder climates to the revy area where its warmer and much much more snowfall, my sled is the 155 belt drive.
I dont see myself buying a new axys anytime soon unless pol builds somthing thats catches my intrest, so im thinking about upgrading my track for the deeper snow.
I see theres a few choices from the 2.8, x3, x3.25, pol series 7, powder claw, so wats the most fav track out there for deep snow.
My local dealer loans buruant a turbo when he rides griz lodge and he recomends the 2.8, so lets hear Your thoughts and pros and cons of each.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The power claw works the best all around. We have all the tracks in the 162-163" you listed. On 16 or 17 axys from stock to turbos. The claw just seams to work so good in all snow conditions.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Guys, isnt the powder claw very simular to the 2.8 in design? Is the 3 inch powder claw really a 2.8 lug height? I thought i read that somewhere. The powder claw wont fit on my 155 unless i change rails? Is this correct?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
The claw is to this day my favorite track I've ever ridden. I spent 10 days in Revy this year with the 2.8 and it flat out worked amazing. I will say that there is a monumental difference between pre break in and post break in on this track though.

A big difference between the claw and conquer 280 are the fingers on the paddles. But if you ride aggressive in trees you'll slowly get your own fingers haha.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
can't really go wrong with X3 or powerclaw. probably better luck fitting an X3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Guys, isnt the powder claw very simular to the 2.8 in design? Is the 3 inch powder claw really a 2.8 lug height? I thought i read that somewhere. The powder claw wont fit on my 155 unless i change rails? Is this correct?

I’ll let you know in a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
Does anybody sell the 3" Powerclaw center ported for the stock polaris 3.0 pitch drivers?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Ya the little fingers on the out side of the claw seam to help alot when it gets icey, going up and down. You can feel the difference over the camso X3.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I don't think you'll see substantial enough gains over a 2.6" to make it worth spending money on...that 2.6" is a solid all around track for the snow around here.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I should add that the only reason I switched to the Conquer280 from the 2.6 is because my stock track was worn out and showing fiber rods in many places. Otherwise I loved the performance of the stock track.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I don't think you'll see substantial enough gains over a 2.6" to make it worth spending money on...that 2.6" is a solid all around track for the snow around here.

There are huge gains over the stock 2.6 track. Just put a 3x on my stock 16' axys and a 3" powerclaw on my 17' sidekick. They are both way better in deep snow than the 2.6 polaris track. However, the 2.6 is a pretty dang good track.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
There are huge gains over the stock 2.6 track. Just put a 3x on my stock 16' axys and a 3" powerclaw on my 17' sidekick. They are both way better in deep snow than the 2.6 polaris track. However, the 2.6 is a pretty dang good track.
Perhaps the turbo exacerbates the difference....but I've been riding 174x3"and 163x2.6" Axy's this year and wouldn't even describe the difference between those as "huge," and that's going up in length and lug size.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The 2.6" and 3" Series 6 tracks perform well enough. The problem with them is their longevity is terrible.

The Powerclaw 3" is a great deep snow track but the X3 is a better overall track in all conditions. Both are a substantial improvement over the Series 6 in both performance and longevity.

However, custom rails will need to be purchased if you install the 153 PC on 155 Axys. The PC 162 will fit the 163 Axys rails.

I would go with the X3 on a 155.

The 2.8 is a trencher and doesn't even belong in the conversation for performance gains. It's only appeal is how light the track is.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The combination I have put together makes for A REALLY responsive powder machine.

2013 Pro RMK.
156" X3.
37" stance.
ZRP offset spindles.
ZBROZ arms, stock width.
Elka Stage 5 shocks all the way around.
Stock gripper skis set to narrowest width.
Front track shock tightened up a little bit
HM turbos adjustable limiter strap is loosened over stock spec.
I got 2400 miles on my stock original quick drive belt. I decided to try a used tki belt drive. I think it's the 2.28 gear ratio (with 7t drivers). It comes out to about 2.42, if I remember correctly. Btw, the original QD belt is still in great shape.

The X3 hooks up like crazy. It does push a little more than the stock 2.4 track.
Powder carving has a bit of a re-learning curve, but you'll have it down on day one.
A softer limiter helps the back end wash out on a sidehill, but you can counter that by a just right softness in the rear shock. I have my slow speed rebound in the ski shocks set on the soft side.

I've been in love with the X3.

After spending time on a 2018 AXYS 163 with a 2.6, I do feel there is a hookup difference.
My 156 is a lot more of a rodeo then these smooth and steady 163. And I don't mean that's a bad thing.

Last edited:
Premium Features