• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question about my 163 3”

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
Question about my 163 3”

So I bought a 2016 163 3” in July and just now finally got to ride it due to lack of snow in Oregon. I came off a Pro 155. So right now I like the sled but feel it’s in control more than me. It climbs like a damn mountain goat. Very impressed. But when I side hill the front end immediately comes up and wants to climb instead of holding it’s line. I know it’s a different animal then my Pro but is there anything I can do with the rear suspension to maybe curb some of it wanting to climb on sidehills?

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
So I bought a 2016 163 3” in July and just now finally got to ride it due to lack of snow in Oregon. I came off a Pro 155. So right now I like the sled but feel it’s in control more than me. It climbs like a damn mountain goat. Very impressed. But when I side hill the front end immediately comes up and wants to climb instead of holding it’s line. I know it’s a different animal then my Pro but is there anything I can do with the rear suspension to maybe curb some of it wanting to climb on sidehills?

The first thing I noticed during the switch from a Pro, you need to transfer more body weight towards the front of the sled. This week keep the front end from wanting to climb during a sidehill.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I actually ride pretty far forward. Always have. Even when sidehilling normally. I can put more pressure on the bars and try that.

shouldn't need pressure on the bars. stay goofy foot on the mid to front third of the running board. if that doesn't work, check your suspension setup as well. might be too stiff in front and soft in back?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
First watch your body position as mentioned above.

Next go to the rear suspension and adjust the shock to "your" liking and rider preference.

Then move to the front track shock. This is where you will fine tune the the amount of "pop" the front end has. The more spring pressure / shorter the spring, the more the sled will want to raise the front up. Keep in mind, too much and it will raise up and trench. Taking spring pressure off or making the spring longer will make the front end more planted.

The key is balance between the two track shocks. You want enough to make sure your bottoming out all the time but not too much where your riding a pogo stick and the suspension isn't working properly. You want the sled to pop, then crawl up onto the snow.

Just make sure and keep track where your at and keep a "zero" point so you can return to a neutral position if you have to start over.

Premium Features