• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride: Ski-Doo 2018 FreeRide 850

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I’m riding a new 165 freeride this year. Setup is still way too soft for bigger rider and some jumping. I already destroyed a set of rails, tore the limiter strap, and bent some shafts from bottoming out too much. I’m going to try stiffer springs front and back and start turning up the compression and go from there. Stay tuned...
please do keep us in the loop

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
I’m riding a new 165 freeride this year. Setup is still way too soft for bigger rider and some jumping. I already destroyed a set of rails, tore the limiter strap, and bent some shafts from bottoming out too much. I’m going to try stiffer springs front and back and start turning up the compression and go from there. Stay tuned...

Beginning stock setup:
250# geared up rider
Rear torsion #5
Center .5” preload
Limiter stock position
Fronts .5” preload
Sway bar connected
All clickers in stock mid point position.

-Sled bottoms out too easy
-Sled turns uphill too easy in slow technical lines
-not enough stroke left in shock to support sled on one ski

1/14/18 update
Changes made...
-stiffer front and rear springs. position #3 on torsion springs, 3 turns preload on ski springs.
-straight Iceage rails w/ brace
-t motion lockout washers
-turned in all compression clickers from 11 to 8
-new limiter strap (tore old one)

Big difference.
-Sled sits up how it should now.
- Much more usable suspension.
-Shock compression stiffer and slower.
-sled stays flat. Much less weight transfer
-doesn’t turn uphill near as bad
-jumps and lands better
Pretty dang happy with results!

Interested in moving steering post forward 1.5” now since I am 6’6” and behind the balance point of sled most of the time when traversing steep technical trees.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Finally had some time today to begin playing with the adjustable suspension on the Freeride. What a huge difference a few clicks on the 3 shocks makes!

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
It will be interesting to see if the Free Ride needs the skid relocation kit added to aid in keeping the nose down.

Ace

Must be the traction that heavier wetter snow has.
I was a little shocked at how planted the front end was and my limiter and skid are still stock. I do only have 3 rides on the new sled though.
I agree on the shock option that is usually the first thing I change.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Thats a sweet sled Christopher!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop... and look forward to your usual photo journal of your experience.

The Kayaba shocks on the Freeride are a top-shelf package.

I don't know if you are an experienced shock tuner or not... but here is my take FWIW.

I've talked in person with shock engineers from Fox, Raptor, ZBroz, Ohlins, Walker Evans, King, KYB, Elka etc.... All agreed that multi adjustable shocks can be as much of a curse as blessing.... all depends on the approach you have.

Your KYB's have 4 adjustments: spring preload, High speed compression, Low speed compression, and Rebound (which also really effects the low speed compression setting at the same time as the rebound).

One of the big things with such an adjustable shock... Is that finding your 'sweet spot' is a small target... it is more likely you'll find a less than ideal setting than the ideal one if you don't take the time to understand how the shocks work and what the adjustments do... takes some reading and time on the hill and trail to set it up... and to intuitively understand HOW the adjustments affect each other and the ride of the sled.

Often with this number of adjustments... it takes dialing everything back to 'center' and starting over again when things get 'out of whack'.

Also, variations in shock tolerance, nitrogen pressure, temps etc can make it so there is no real 'ideal setup' for one riders sled to another.

If you are new to suspension setup, this equates to hours not minutes, and also riding partners that have the patience to let you 'tinker' on your ride.

Also worth noting , 'Low' and 'high' speed do not refer to the speed you are travelling... It refers to incident of shaft-velocity.

Super adjustable shocks like the Kayaba 36 & 40 Pro-R and Pro models can be a mixed blessing for the uninitiated.

I mean this in a helpful way.... and you are rewarded with understanding, intuitively understanding, those shocks.

IMO.

Accurate info for the most part, but you are incorrect about Freeride shocks. You are talking about the race sleds or aftermarket shocks that have those adjustability.
On the Freeride models, the ski shocks have single stage compression adjustment and rebound adjustment. The rear shocks have single stage comp adjustment with no rebound adjustment. It is still a stupid soft sled that needs help. Doo downsized the ski shock shaft size "which saves weight" but reduces performance. I was bottoming my Freeride worse than I was bottoming my Summit before I upped the compression dampening. It is too bad that the Freeride went from a hillclimb/competition sled in 2012? to a consumer sled as it now sits. Better than a Summit X package because it has options as far as rebuild/revalve/adjustability, but out of the box it really is better suited to light trail riding/wife sled than what a "Freeride" is supposed to be.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Accurate info for the most part, but you are incorrect about Freeride shocks. You are talking about the race sleds or aftermarket shocks that have those adjustability.
On the Freeride models, the ski shocks have single stage compression adjustment and rebound adjustment. The rear shocks have single stage comp adjustment with no rebound adjustment. It is still a stupid soft sled that needs help. Doo downsized the ski shock shaft size "which saves weight" but reduces performance. I was bottoming my Freeride worse than I was bottoming my Summit before I upped the compression dampening. It is too bad that the Freeride went from a hillclimb/competition sled in 2012? to a consumer sled as it now sits. Better than a Summit X package because it has options as far as rebuild/revalve/adjustability, but out of the box it really is better suited to light trail riding/wife sled than what a "Freeride" is supposed to be.

LOL, this may be the funniest line I have read in a long time.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Freeride suspension being so soft that it should only be a light trail/wife sled out of the box.

Ya, I would have to disagree.
I cracked those shocks up and at the higher settings it’s freaking ROCK HARD. Painfully uncomfortable to ride with.

But
I am NOT jumping this sled so I can’t comment on the shock valves being strong enough to support hard landings

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I have not tried full stiff yet, but my past 4 Freerides have all been super soft at all settings. Maybe they changed it. And people all ride different and require different settings/sleds. Probably the biggest base for arguments here is that everyone is on a different level and coming from a different angle. I have taken SW guys out riding here in McCall and had them ask to take "an easier way" up a basic hill, never would have guessed that from their posts. And I am far from one of the best riders here. Just shows that everyone is on a different level.

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Ya, I would have to disagree.
I cracked those shocks up and at the higher settings it’s freaking ROCK HARD. Painfully uncomfortable to ride with.

But
I am NOT jumping this sled so I can’t comment on the shock valves being strong enough to support hard landings

Yep! I am quite surprised this year on the 18 165 freeride how much difference a few clicks on compression makes.
I went with big boy springs and turned clicks into 8 and it’s pretty bomb proof now.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I have not tried full stiff yet, but my past 4 Freerides have all been super soft at all settings. Maybe they changed it. And people all ride different and require different settings/sleds. Probably the biggest base for arguments here is that everyone is on a different level and coming from a different angle. I have taken SW guys out riding here in McCall and had them ask to take "an easier way" up a basic hill, never would have guessed that from their posts. And I am far from one of the best riders here. Just shows that everyone is on a different level.

My old freeride was a 2012 it was a 146. Are you saying if I buy a new Freeride it wont be up to the same standards as my 2012? My 2012 was a consumer model not the race model.

Premium Features