• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Axys Dies randomly and won't restart

R
Jan 26, 2017
I have a 2016 RMK with a Silber kit and it has 1000 miles with 350 boosted and 200 of them in Seeley Lake that will run great for a few hours and all the sudden sputter and die like it's out of gas. It won't restart unless it's full throttle and if it restarts it ll only run for a little bit before it dies again. It ll do that only a few times before it doesn't start at all. You can pull and pull but it won't give any sign of life. But then a few hours later or next day it ll fire right up and run great again. It gives no type of warning before it dies. No engine codes either. Running a 50/50 mix of 100ll and 5 lbs of boost at sea level. Any help would be appreciated thanks

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
sounds like it could be a fuel pump I would say a filter maybe but their is none in the sled! how long does it need to sit until it wants to start back up? is the fuel pump sounding any different hot or cold?

M

MOABNUT

Dec 4, 2012
I had the same problems with my 16. It,s not the Turbo.
A couple of times it was the Relays and the round capacitor thing. Then the last time when it died and would not start, I swapped all of those and plugs and no go. Took us forever to tow it back to the trail. Then pulled and Pulled with full throttle and it started. Ran great for the 20 miles back to the Truck. Ended up being the Throttle Safety Switch.

Traded it in on a 17 and took the TSS off.

R
Jan 26, 2017
Seems like after it sits awhile it'll start but there isn't a noticeable whine from the fuel pump. Im going to pull apart the relays and plugs then clean them up. I ll probably end up taking off the tss also. Seems like the throttle has been acting up since it came unsnapped a few weeks ago. Polaris dealer in Seeley snapped it back together with some channel locks

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
When it sits in-between not starting and firing right up is it in a warm garage or sitting outside in the cold? As in does it sit somewhere that things could thaw out and dry and that's why it fires right up when you pull it over the next day.

R
Jan 26, 2017
It first happened last Saturday and it died and I changed plugs and let it sit for a couple mins then I was able to ride it out no issues. I had a plug backed out about half way and I thought that was the issue so I went out on Sunday. It sat on my sled deck in the cold overnight then on Sunday it ran great for a few hours then died again. This time it fired up for a couple seconds and died completely and gave no signs of wanting to run. After 30 mins of messing around with it decided just to tow it back. Then it sat on my sled deck till Tuesday and went to take it off and it fired right up.

I'm in the process of cleaning every plug and relay but so far they seem pretty clean.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Need to narrow this down...When it would not start, did you check to see if you had spark? Just pull a plug and connect it back up to the plug wire and hold the plug so the threads are touching the block and have someone pull the rope. If you have spark then we know it has to be a fuel issue.

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
I think of a nightmare I still have. This sounds just like my stupid dragon when the new voltage regulators go out on them.

R
Jan 26, 2017
I didn't check spark when it last died mostly because I was going to get into my shop and look in to it but it started when I went to look into it. But today I cleaned out every plug and relay and re routed the throttle cable per the dealers recommendation. I found a wire on the capacitor was worn bare on the clutch cover so I fix it and a few plugs had quite a bit of water in them. I took it for a ride for about an hour today and it didn't ever die. Hopefully the issue is solved but going to ride it on Saturday

Premium Features