• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Truck + Sleddeck or Flatbed, what to get for 15k?

B
Nov 10, 2010
looking for some advice on what to get for a dedicated sled hauling / moto hauling rig. I have a company Jeep, so everyday driving is done in my wrangler.... i'm just too sketched to keep pulling a 2 place trailer with the thing and want a personal rig again. I figure I have ballpark 15k to spend total on a play rig.

My question is... what would you look for? I'm tossing and turning between a 2500/250 with a 4 door, 6 foot bed, (probably in the 11k range) and a sled deck (4k range) I could put on in the winter, or a bigger rig, like a 3500/350 4 door with a 8 foot flatbed / dually, (if already has flatbed could spend full 15k)

I'm pretty much sold on Diesel... cheaper right now and better mileage. Plus in my price range high mileage gassers get sketch.

So... if you had 15k, what would you do? Any particular rigs to look for/ look out for?

I don't know a ton about trucks... do know a couple gem years like a 2000 7.3 Powerstrock or early 5.9 cummins.... but other then that my knowledge is minimal!

any help is appreciated!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
In that price range, add a LBZ or LLY duramax to the list of diesels. It will have +150k miles on it, but if the cab is good, you could have a very good runner. As you know, spec'ing an oil burner will consume much more of your budget. You'll also have the capability to pull a 4 place anywhere.

LLY's are 2004.5-2006, LBZ 2006.5-2007 "Classic". These can be very good trucks (own an LBZ myself since new, so I'm prejudiced). There are 2007.5 LMMs with a DPF (diesel particulate filter) - these are in a 'newer' body style, and could be very good trucks with the DPF and cat deleted. Likely outside your budget, tho.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
If all your going to be doing is a sled deck or flat bed....why go the diesel route? For your money your going to get a much older truck with a bunch of miles on it. high mileage diesels can have some high repair bills. Eric

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
Diesels are a lot more to maintain also but I'm a diesel lover too. Also need 2500/250 forsure for a deck for the wieght restrictions. All 7.3 are good if ur not tuning it like crazy other wise can add 100hp to any and be fine over that get one with forged rods/ but lose creature comforts in the cab. Forged were 99-some 01's. I just went from 7.3 to a 6.0 and I do like the 6.0 more but I spent a lot more than ur budget to get a 06 with 30k one owner texas truck if get a 6.0 05-07 are the ones to get

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Call me prejudice but I'm a 12 valve lover and own two of them. A 97 club cab long box and a 90 regular cab flat bed. Also the second generation dodge is probably my favorite. Engine wise as long as you don't get one that's been driven by a horny teenager. Yeah, you will have front end problems, yeah it may not ride like a new one. But it's easy to work on and the engines are darn near bullet proof. Easy to bump power if you need more and it will remain fully dependable. Suspension can be upgraded too if you desire. Basically you can build it to have as much or more power than a new one, ride better than a new one, steer like a new one, but still have reliability.

7.3's are also good engines but not as easy to get power out of. Plus I have to admit, I've always been a dodge guy.

Edit: Plus you can't beat the mpg's. I wouldn't personally buy a gasser. Less MPG's especially when towing, lower life expectancy and less power

Last edited:
W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Without commenting on a specific truck, (because really any 1 ton truck is going to do the job) but only on the issue between flatbed and sled deck, I would say go flat bed. I've never used a flat bed for snowmobiling but I did use a sled deck for a lot of years and I finally got tired of it. Taking the thing on and off when you want to go back to pickup mode is a pain enough. But its like every time you want to get something out of your sled, or put gas in it, you have to make the climb up and down the stupid thing. Its the way to go if you already have a pickup, and you want to go to places where trailers are a pain. But you are starting from scratch.

I can see how a flat bed would be waaay more convenient, everything is lower to the ground for easier access. Easier loading and unloading. Plus, when you take your sleds off, you're done! its already back in truck mode.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Without commenting on a specific truck, (because really any 1 ton truck is going to do the job) but only on the issue between flatbed and sled deck, I would say go flat bed. I've never used a flat bed for snowmobiling but I did use a sled deck for a lot of years and I finally got tired of it. Taking the thing on and off when you want to go back to pickup mode is a pain enough. But its like every time you want to get something out of your sled, or put gas in it, you have to make the climb up and down the stupid thing. Its the way to go if you already have a pickup, and you want to go to places where trailers are a pain. But you are starting from scratch.

I can see how a flat bed would be waaay more convenient, everything is lower to the ground for easier access. Easier loading and unloading. Plus, when you take your sleds off, you're done! its already back in truck mode.

The only issue I could see with that is a place to put gear, but you could always put a stop a couple feet from the cab and put a toolbox in the front for helmets and whatnot

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
If only a 15k budget, I'd look for the best truck, miles, condition, regardless of flatbed or not. Save 1500-2k for a nice used sled deck.
If a flatbed happens to be that truck, bonus.
If you're not towing, as awesome as a pumped up diesel is, your money is better spent on finding a lower mile gasser. Just cause a Diesel engine will last forever, the rest of the truck is the same. Can get pretty nice 6.0 GM or Hemi 2500 for under 15k.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ agreed. People still throw out answers like the 7.3l because it's the standard Internet answer....but those things are getting old. You really have to have one that's been exceptionally maintained to have a decent truck. Engine internals on a gas or diesel are usually the last thing to fail...and being a diesel doesnt fix any of the other old vehicle or chassis issues. I would just get the newest, cleanest truck you can find.

Premium Features