• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

where to ride in colorado?

Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Im from ND thinking about making a trip out to colorado to ride. I ride mainly mounyains I dont like to ride many trails just backcountry mainly. Where are some good places to go? I like to go places where you can ride straight from the lodge but im not afraid to trailer out if needed.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Far as I know, Grand Mesa and Grand Lake are the only places in CO that you could ride from a lodge?

Great riding all over the State, but somewhere it's about how far/long you want to drive. If coming alone, there's a better chance of meeting somebody to ride with around I-70 or north, or atleast somebody to dig you up when you popsicle yourself. With the crowds for safety in numbers, comes the hassle of parking/traffic etc.

South of I-70 will be less crowds and would be wise to try and find some members here to show you the ropes.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
With that big of group, if you're going any longer than 2 or 3 days, then you might as well saddle up and try for a lodge you could ride from.

So that leaves Grand Lake, Grand Mesa, and I hope the locals don't string me up for this one, Hahns Peak Roadhouse.

Grand Lake gets ranked in top 10 and 15 lists for the USA, so there's that. Could day trip to Corona, or longer day trip to Rabbit Ears from there, for something deferent.

Grand Mesa is huge (800 sq miles) and cheaper than the others, but 3 hrs farther.

Hahns Peak is a little bit north of Steamboat and supposed to be pretty good. Easy day trip to Rabbit Ears.

Being pretty new to sledding, Grand Lake is the only one I've rode out of these 3. It was a bad year, so I'm probably wrong but the terrain I rode there wasn't as good as the more local spots I've rode.

So out of these picks, I'd try Hahns Peak for being close to Steamboat for a little nightlife and food, plus the hotsprings. Strawberry nude hippy hotspringing after a ride is pretty sweet! If you could unhook your trailer safely at night at Hahns, then I think it would be near a no brainer for me.

Second pick would be Grand Mesa.

Hopefully somebody that knows more than me will chime in.

O
Dec 6, 2007
I am a SW Colorado fan, I think we have the best mountins:face-icon-small-win

I think you keep your options open as long as possible, snow is a huge factor. With good snow, anywhere in CO is going to be epic. In a marginal year, like the Mesa had this season, you would have been better off around Steamboat, or further south in the San Juans where we had a good season.

Don't come until mid Feb or later. Sometimes the snow is good before this but the snow is almost always good in March and April around here.

We trailer for riding but if you want to go someplace epic with no other sleds, let me know, I think I can hook you up.

RE: Riding Areas in Colorado

I think you keep your options open as long as possible, snow is a huge factor. With good snow, anywhere in CO is going to be epic. In a marginal year, like the Mesa had this season, you would have been better off around Steamboat, or further south in the San Juans where we had a good season.

Don't come until mid Feb or later. Sometimes the snow is good before this but the snow is almost always good in March and April around here.

We trailer for riding but if you want to go someplace epic with no other sleds, let me know, I think I can hook you up.

I just moved to Colorado Springs and am looking for riding spots in the area. Especially off the beaten path ones! I would appreciate any recommendations.
I am also trying to meet other riders from the area that I could possibly ride with as I am on my own.

O
Dec 6, 2007

I just moved to Colorado Springs and am looking for riding spots in the area. Especially off the beaten path ones! I would appreciate any recommendations.
I am also trying to meet other riders from the area that I could possibly ride with as I am on my own.

Well, I am not really in your area. It is a good 5-6 hour drive to Ridgway from the Springs, in the winter, on a weekend (when I usually ride) the drive could be even longer. Happy to show you around if you come down for a weekend though!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

I too am in Colorado Springs and ride Cottonwood alot. Goat Trail at Cottonwood looks so much like Ouray's pic I had to go back and make sure it wasn't the same place. Hit me up near winter time and I can point you to the good places nearby.

Premium Features