• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pickuptrucks.com diesel 1 ton shootout results

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
It was a good test and was pretty much what I expected. I am a Dodge guy, but I know the transmission's could be calibrated differently. For some reason the Dodge Engineers will not let the Cummins scream around redline when pulling a hill. The tranny will always upshift too early and when the truck loses speed, It can not get it back.
I know the Ford and the GM will hold high rpm on a hill which makes a huge diff.

If the Dodge is shifted manually with the gear select, then it is a totally different deal and it will easily run with the other two. We have seen it over and over.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm disappointed in Dodge. Didn't they just release a new motor for this truck setup (1 ton dually)? I also expected Dodge to have the best fuel mileage (not the worst). Bout time Ford finally made a good motor for their big truck. Good to see. I'd buy the Sierra if I was getting one of them.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
Good read! I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, & considering your dishing almost 60k they better all be nice. If I was buying a new one, I'd be going the GMC also. They knock the interior a little in there, but if you go with the LTZ package, it's IMO the best in class.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'd have a hard time deciding between the Ford and the GMC myself.

I'd never consider a Dodge again after experiencing "death wobble" in their brand new Rams!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
A very good read... nice to see the trucks are all getting to be very close in performance, and carrying insane loads while they are at it:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It's interesting that this is the same Ford motor that got whooped by the GM last year. Ford simply changed the mapping to produce better power out of the motor. To bad they all don't come to the table that way. Whose to say the Duramax or Cummins can up it some more too? Guess we will be stuck buying programmers for this.

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
My brother has a new Chev gasser and man that thing is a piece of crap. Many trips to the dealer for stuff that shouldn't happen, uncomfotable seats, the body creaks and moans going over bumps. I don't know, they all scare me. If I got the Ford I'd make damn sure I got the best warranty known to mankind. Sounds like they have a good product now but their track record with diesels isn't good. Also under the hood of a Ford lies more complicated junk than I can even believe....not that you can really work on any of them any more but the Ford is really scary. I think Dodge had the Diesel market all to themselves a few years back with the Cummins but thanks to the EPA nazis there mileage is in the toilet. I'm just thankful I don't need a diesel anymore and when I get ready to buy something it will be a Toyota.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Anyone see the one they did on the American Top Gear a couple weeks ago? LOL

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i've had my new F-350 for 8 months and 16k miles....no problems, i like it very much....i've had a new truck every 15 months or so for over 30 years, all 3 of the usa brands...this truck has a very put together feel and the best puller i've had, including those that were chipped....fuel mileage when pulling is better than anything i've previously had, including dodge with 5.9 and 6.7, 96 duramax, and all engines ford has had for the last 15 years....empty fuel mileage is consistently .5 to 1.2 better than my 5.9 megacab....my main load is a boat, 15.5k, 10.5 wide and 13.5 tall, pulling at 65 mph, i get 10.5 +/- .4, best dodge mileage was 7.5, previous ford 6.4 was 6.5, and 6.0 ford was7.2....never pulled boat with the duramax, but it was about the same as the 5.9 dodge....new ford controlls the weight very well, and stops best of all the trucks to date...hopefully it does as well in the long term, as it has thus far..:plane:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Not my tax money proppin' them up!

Not true. Something I dug up.

The Canadian government likewise gave GM $1.4 billion as a pure loan, and another $8.1 billion for an 11.7 percent equity stake. The U.S. and Canadian government together own 72.5 percent of the company.

Totally different subject, but since there are GM haters out there. GM has paid back their initial loans. They still have some unsettled debt, but this was a successful government loan. Several jobs saved (and unemployment avoided) and the government actually got 7% interest on the loan. In a time when the government is losing money in just about every avenue, this seems like it worked very well.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Not true. Something I dug up.

The Canadian government likewise gave GM $1.4 billion as a pure loan, and another $8.1 billion for an 11.7 percent equity stake. The U.S. and Canadian government together own 72.5 percent of the company.

Totally different subject, but since there are GM haters out there. GM has paid back their initial loans. They still have some unsettled debt, but this was a successful government loan. Several jobs saved (and unemployment avoided) and the government actually got 7% interest on the loan. In a time when the government is losing money in just about every avenue, this seems like it worked very well.

Interesting info! I actually wrote a paper for a financial class back in about 2003 explaining how GM was on a demise and how the government wouldn't let them go down all the way.....I think I should get a better mark now!

Premium Features