• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hatchers Pass Management Plan meeting!!!! Need Sledders to come to meeting!!!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Heres how it reads:

The Hatcher Pass Management Plan is now being revised. Alreday proposals to further restrict snowmachining in Hatchers Pass have come foreward. If you want to protect your rights in Hatchers Pass you must get involved. Tow meeting are scheduled to discuss motorized use: first on 3/23/09 in Wasilla at the fire station located on the corner os seward Meridian and Palmer- Wasilla Highway. the second is on 3/31/09 in Anchorage at the Atwood Building. These meetings will be from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. I alos urge you to send a written comment to Philiana Jarvis at the Dept. Of Natural Resources, 550 W. 7th ave Ste. 1050, Anchorage, Ak 99645 or email philana.jarvis@alaska.gov

through action we can not only protect our use of Hatchers Pass, but also possibly increase our access.

For further information contact Jim Turner at 745-6161 or email lotinc@mtaonline.net

I hope to see some of you there, this is being pushed by not only the greenies that dont pay registration or parking fees to use this area but select park rangers at Hatchers too, for most of you that ride that area you know who im talking about. Its going to be a tough 4 years for us motorheads so lets stick togeather and let them know we mean business.

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
folks,

This is a MUST DO. We sacrifice time out of our busy lives to ride, if we dont sacrifice time to show to one of these meetings we just might find ourselves without reason to ride.

Show up folks.

See you in ANC.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
thanks for the support:beer;:beer;,

I got this in the form of a flyer on my windshield and copied it for us...Ill be sure to tell them how i feel about how they "manage" the pass...Ive been riding up there for years and have brought up the fact that none ofthe skiers / boarders pay for anything up there. the burden should'nt be left on the Sledders and campers. I pay registration on both my sleds and always pay the parking fees, just to get lip from a ranger up there about us sledders and our poluting machines. When most of her wages are paid through our parking fees....ill save my ranting for the meeting.:D

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
You guys need to get as many bodies at those meetings as you can. Ryan drag doug in there! Aword of caution though guys. Don't go in there with a big chip on your shoulder and a loud mouth flying off the handle. That will get us no where and do more harm than good. They don't want to hear a bunch of ranting. Voice your/our opinions for sure. That is what this meeting all about. But it must be in a civil manner if you/we are going to be listened to. We went through this on the pennisula a few years back with the us forest service down here since most of our riding is on federal land. Be prepared to lay out Solutions, not just point out the problems. They will listen if it is presented well. Doesn't mean we will get everything we want, but atleast you will be heard an your suggestions consdiered.

GET OUT AND GET TO THE MEETING GUYS!

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Thanks for the info. This is the 1st I have heard of this. Tim is right, some of us get very upset (myself included) when speaking about loosing riding areas. Is anyone willing (and able) on here to be a good spokes person for us as a group? We still need to show up in large numbers. Please tell your riding buddy's that don't get on Snowest. We should also talk about solutions before getting there...Any ideas out there? Even if you don't ride Hatchers, I would think this is important to show up....your riding area(s) could be next.....

kev_alaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
Hatchers Pass

I spoke with Philana yesterday and assured her that the ASSA would be out in force in the preperation of this latest planning directive. I will be directing our official response to the management plan. At this point, keep in mind that these meetings are preliminary and in no way substitute for the public process meetings that will have to take place later. These initial meetings are generally for the managers to gauge how much input they will get with different options. Reopening the plan now is likely a result of the proposed (ten times in the last 15 years) ski facilities. We are going to be gathering all the input from our members and distilling it down to the official position paper.

I know Jim Turner is making everyone aware of this action. I will be calling him or stopping by to tell him thanks for the early heads up and to see how coordination can help all of us in this process.

Kevin Hite
Alaska State Snowmobile Association

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Once again, Thank you Kevin. It is with the hard of those like you, that our riding areas will continue to be open. With some luck, even better than we have it now. One of my main concerns many of the places we ride is the lack of parking. Of course that is minor to losing a playground. Thanks for all your hard work on behalf of us.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
One of the compromises that were discussed in the past about the Ski resort being built was to leave the upper parking lot alone and giving us a right of way to the back side of the pass wehre the existing trail to summit lake is already. as far as Archangel goes im not sure what we can do to save that area is the resort does "finally" go. There have been so many different plans on how the layout of the resort would be its hard to tell how this one will be.

Thanks for the support Kevin your help is much appreciated:D

kev_alaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
Hatcher management plan

15 years and 10 different plans for the Hatcher pass area. Each time there is a new manager or staff change there is a new plan. Kind of like Groundhog Day. SSDD.

kevin

H
Dec 11, 2007
Valley Boy
Yes, this is very important .... all who can attend MUST attend. I will be in Prudhoe which is unfortunate. Bottom line, if we dont attend some of the current open areas will be closed and if we attend we may be able to extend our open areas. The main area of concern is at the Mother lode lower parking lot. The hill behind the pay station is the one in question. Its a climb that only experienced mountain sledders should attempt but the problem lies in folks who sluff off the mountain and end up coming down the hill and riding the little su back to the parking lot which is a closed section. The upper part of the mountain is open but the lowe is not. We need to state that it should be open at least a quarter mile up the creek so we can have easier and safer access to the bowl that you can not see from the parking lot.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Meeting tomorrow!!

Reminder for tomorrow!! Who all is going?

"3/23/09 in Wasilla at the fire station located on the corner of Seward Meridian and Palmer- Wasilla Highway. These meetings will be from 6:30pm to 8:30pm"

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Good to hear! Numbers really do matter. I know they did with the federal guys down here when they held all the meeting a few years back. Thank you to all who took the time out of their busy lifes to make a difference for all.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Good showing tonight by the motorized access users.

Good meeting you last night akrevrider and several others. It would have been nice if we could have had the web site to look at before showing up last night. Thanks guys for trying to keep your tempers from blowing...I know some were struggling. Anyone know when the non-motorized user meeting will be?

Last edited:
H
Dec 11, 2007
Valley Boy
Thanks for attending my fellow sledders ... can you share with us who were unable to attend what was discussed.

Did anyone bring up enlarging the motorized use area by just a tad to accomodate getting up and across the creek from the lower parking lot?

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Hatcher Pass Management Plan Revision

#1.Opening remarks & introductions

#2. Plan revision & timeframe

#3. Break-out into groups for discussion

#4. Reconvene & summarize

Among the fellow riders in our group Halibutgrove,Purevida, Prayn4snow,AK800RMK151 and many others. Introductions was given by each of the agencies that have a part in the management & enforcement process.

We broke out into 3 groups and were given 3 maps (Map A. plan boundaries & land status/Map B. plan boundaries & topo/Map C. Plan boundaries & satellite imagery.

Each group then marked their table sized map with an handdrawn/highlighted overlay of the activities they engaged in & any conflicts with access/users.
We were then directed to mark the area where past conflicts had occured and what those conflict were.

I have the outline given to the groups and the 3 maps given to me if anybody wants a copy let me know. There is a website address given out that will have all of the information with the maps. If anybody copied that please post it up for all to access. Overall a really good showing for our group and we'll see what comes out in their presentation in the next round.

akrevrider

H
Mar 24, 2009
Saving our Access

It was great to see the large number of motorized users at the meeting last night. As I mentioned last night, if you cherish your right to access and want to help preserve it, I would recommend joining the Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance (AOAA). I'm a new board member and our mission is to protect Alaskan's right to access our state lands. We believe in supporting all means of access, walking, driving, flying, or floating. We all have a right to access and our method of choice shouldn't be hampered by anyone or any group. State land belongs to everyone! We were key to keeping the Kinik river area open to motorized access and now that we won the anti's have filed a suit against DNR since they believe their minority voice wasn't considered. AOAA will be fighting this issue and will be watching the HPMP VERY closely to ensure we keep our access. AOAA is also fighting DNR's decision to close the Rex trail last year to traditional users and working on legislation to repeal the closure and prevent DNR's ability to restrict access without strong reasoning and scientific evidences in addition to adhering to public involvement. It's a never ending battle to protect access and AOAA is always in the fight.

What can you do to help protect your access?

Get involved and join AOAA. Our website is currently in progress but in the meantime we will be doing a membership drive at the Matsu Sportsman Show. There's also a drawing for a .50 Cal BMG so stop by become a member and take a chance on a new rifle.

Hope to see you at the next AOAA meeting! April 14th, Eagle River VFW, 6:30pm

Mel

Premium Features