• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whats in your pack?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Haven't posted on this thread yet but awesome thread.

Saw that the thread hadn't been hit since the end of the riding season and figured I'd make it bold again!

I learned tons of stuff reading this thread!

Anyone have anything else to add that they found out or learned since last season?

I have had requests to carry an air compressor, drill and welder ... but last year I learned that my gear and gas can weighs enough to bust out someones nut (aggrivated a guys hernia when he helped me get unstuck) soooo I don't think I'll be packing as much weight this year ;) ;)

Dec 3, 2007
Rope -Spectra

Spectra rope is ultra strong and ultralight. 3/16 in. is right around 2,000lb break strength, 1/4" = 4,000lbs. It is spendy- like $2/ft if you buy it outright, but go on e-bay and look for wakeboard rope- 80' for $30 - $50. 80 feet of spectra will wiegh less than an a red bull.

Apr 11, 2008
I carry
X coat
X socks (somthing i dont see on anyones list)
X gloves, Goggles
flashlight
Bailing wire
waterproof matches
camera
Shovel probe and saw
food for a day or two depending on how long im staying out normally carry an extra day of food
2 belts
fuel
flares and flaregun
Beacon ofcorse.

Id carry more but the HMK pack is small i frequently take a trailer with me to carry extra gas for long days late in the year and other things when i camp out.

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Spectra rope is ultra strong and ultralight. 3/16 in. is right around 2,000lb break strength, 1/4" = 4,000lbs. It is spendy- like $2/ft if you buy it outright, but go on e-bay and look for wakeboard rope- 80' for $30 - $50. 80 feet of spectra will wiegh less than an a red bull.

I went in a talked to the outdoor guy at the local outdoor shop and talked to him to about towing sleds out and what not. He didn't recommend rope as a towing option. Sure 3/16in is 2000lb break strength. But they guy made a good point, you normally see tow straps, not to ropes. Straps have higher tensile strength and rope is rated for a constant load, whereas when you are towing a sled, you are on and off the throttle and the rope isn't under continuous stress all the time.

ANYWAYS.....I ended up getting getting 1" Tubular webbing, breaking strength is 4600lbs. And it would be doubled if you make a full loop to tow, so around 10000 lb, pretty good. And packs really small. And the best part is its only $0.30/ft.

Apr 11, 2008
I went in a talked to the outdoor guy at the local outdoor shop and talked to him to about towing sleds out and what not. He didn't recommend rope as a towing option. Sure 3/16in is 2000lb break strength. But they guy made a good point, you normally see tow straps, not to ropes. Straps have higher tensile strength and rope is rated for a constant load, whereas when you are towing a sled, you are on and off the throttle and the rope isn't under continuous stress all the time.

ANYWAYS.....I ended up getting getting 1" Tubular webbing, breaking strength is 4600lbs. And it would be doubled if you make a full loop to tow, so around 10000 lb, pretty good. And packs really small. And the best part is its only $0.30/ft.

But rope has more uses And is lighter in lbs.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Just a thought about tow ropes.
Spectra is great rope, however it has absolutely no stretch which is why the wakeboarders use it. Rope with no stretch makes for a very harsh tow unless you keep the rope taut all the time. Anything with nylon will have some stretch including webbing, taking some of the harshness out.

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Dynamic rope/straps are great for towing so that they will absorb the shock load from non-constant speeds.

But you want static rope if you are trying to get a sled out of a creek, backside of a mountain, etc. You don't want to have to fight the rope as it stretches.

Again, as long as people are carrying some type of towing strap or rope that's better than not having one at all. :beer;

N
Dec 8, 2007
East Side A-Town
MRE (probably survive for 1-2 weeks if you had to)
Beacon
Probe
Flashlight
Duct Tape on small roll
2 emergency Blankets
kit for sewing stitches
advil
GPS
Leatherman
firestarter
matches
rope
zipties
compass
first aid kit
safety wire
Emergency (blinker/strobe)
1 pair of goggles
1 extra layer for top of body
1 extra pair of gloves

H
Dec 11, 2007
Valley Boy
As far as towing out a sled, a long rope is the worst way to go, especially in the mountains. I will take a pic and post for all to see visually but in essence you take webbing with cinch straps and cinch each sled together very tight to where the sled being pulled will not run into the sled doing the pulling. The sick sled follows the lead sled perfectly and there is no lagging and jerking, its a nice even pull. Dont have to worry about rope getting caught into each others track and binding things up and its stores into a small pre-made package. You choke the staps and cinch cam onto the rear bumper of the sled doing the pulling and then choke the webbing on the ski handle of the sick sled on each ski and tie into each other. A very slick system. Pics to follow.

Y
Dec 1, 2007
Twin Lakes, WI
As far as towing out a sled, a long rope is the worst way to go, especially in the mountains. I will take a pic and post for all to see visually but in essence you take webbing with cinch straps and cinch each sled together very tight to where the sled being pulled will not run into the sled doing the pulling. The sick sled follows the lead sled perfectly and there is no lagging and jerking, its a nice even pull. Dont have to worry about rope getting caught into each others track and binding things up and its stores into a small pre-made package. You choke the staps and cinch cam onto the rear bumper of the sled doing the pulling and then choke the webbing on the ski handle of the sick sled on each ski and tie into each other. A very slick system. Pics to follow.

PICS if you can please

V
Nov 29, 2008
I just got the TA Gear Storm Pack and love it. Just got done packing it.

In PACK:
Backcountry Access Tracker DTS beacon
Voile Mini T-Wood Shovel w/saw
35' of 1/2" nylon rope
100oz Hydrapack
MRE food pack
first aid kit
painkillers
6-shop towels
2-large garbage bags
1-waterproof bag
roll of electrical tape
roll of flagging tape
compass
buck knife
multi-tool
2-emergency 20 min flares
2-zip locs
zip ties
peanut can for container and cooking
folding stove
2-sterno cans
3-small sacks
2-boxes of waterproof matches
maglight
led flashlight
thermal emergency blanket
small emergency blanket
whistle
energy bars
2-tea bags
4-emergen-C packets
2-packets hot chocolate
3-light sticks
extra socks
extra goggles
extra clothing
camera

sounds like alot but weighs in at 14lbs.

Last edited:
S
Jan 4, 2009
What I Like

I agree with most all of what everyone likes to take and personally have and take most of it. I take a satellite phone with Iridium service, because of their satellite coverage. I also take a registered Personal Locating Beacon instead of a SPOT, also because of satellite coverage (much more important in the northern latitudes and mountainous areas). I leave the TP because its useless when wet and paper towels are still useable when wet (I still keep them in Zip Lock freezer bags). I take mini rescue pulleys and girth hitch them with short 5mm prussik loops to the 8mm cord to make an advantage system. You can build a great advantage system with four pullys (I ride alone frequently). I think a good quality bivy bag and a couple of good strong knives are handy. I also like radiator hose repair tape because of its strength. I like white gas stoves (MSR etc.) because they work well in extreme cold.

I usually think I have to much - especially compared to many others - however I usually have what they need.

Its a tough compromise between taking too much and carrying your courage in your rucksack.

F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
A word about using tubular webbing. The stuff is fine when not abraded or nicked at all, however if there are any small cuts in it the stuff can fail under tension... explosive unraveling and breakage, then again it can be tough as nails for years, but a little cut in the wrong place and it can fail on ya.

I carry 30ft of some 10.5mm climbing rope that I have retired from the rock climbing gear, it takes a tiny bit more space than a 20 ft tow strap from harbor freight but not much, and I get an additional 10 ft of length.

I also carry 3 road/safety flares for fire starting and signaling, one in the pack, two in the sled, as well as some of the gear mentionied above, one of my 3 led flashlights has a lazer in it.

I will be looking at my gear though as there are lots of grat ides here...never thought about the chemical lite sticks not working in the cold as it rarely gets far into the neg numbers around here. Think I'll leave one out on the next cold snap and try it.

my .02

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
My Pack

Hmm let's see....2 Gatorades, 1 water, 2 bags of M&M peanuts (sharin size), couple granola bars (in case the horses get hungry) head lamp, flashlight, leatherman, first aid kit (complete with super glue, better then sutures), spare gloves, hat, tp and of course some kleenex for the weepy eyes, oh and matches in case I need to torch the beeetch (signal fire u know):devil:

Premium Features