• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'01 summit 800 running weird, wiring, ignition coil?

G
Feb 12, 2011
i have a '01 summit 800 and i just put an 8'' riser on it, in turn i had to extend all the wiring, throttle cable, and brake line. the problem is, i haven't gotten to ride it yet. the first time i went to ride it it started up fine, idled fine, but when i reved it up to 4000 rpm when the clutch started to ingage it started to cut out and bog, like i was fouling a plug. i stopped to check my air box/carb connections, they were fine. went down the road again, started boging, stopped checked the plugs, looked fine. put a set of brand new plugs in it, started it up moved about 5 feet, bogged again so i shut it down and brought it home. i ordered a set of NGK racing cables that i put on it, and a brand new set of plugs. i took it out today and it still did the same thing. now i'm wondering if it has something to do with extending the wiring, or if its the ignition coil? has anyone had these problems? i tested my coil the best to my knowledge with my digital multimeter on the ohms setting. the too prongs on the back tested at 0, no resistance, the mount holes tested 0, and the prongs that the sparkplugs go into tested at about 12.5 is that alright? i don't know.

thanks,
seth

G
Feb 12, 2011
yeah i twisted it, took it off and back on, checked the wires. i did notice today that i both of my intake boots were cracked on the bottom. would that have anything to do with it running like that? i ordered the boyesen set this evening.

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
cracked boots will do it. FYI when you get the boysen reeds be sure they fit up nice and snug against the cylinder before you tighten them. I installed a pair and the screws that boysen uses to attach the reed peddles have larger heads than stock. They also use 4 screws and the cylinder is recessed for only 3 or vice versa. anyway,this caused the reeds to "rock" on the cylinder and you could not get a good seal. had to replace their screws with stock ones and made an extra thick gasket to fill up the gap. if air leaks in you have trouble. good luck

G
Feb 12, 2011
i just posted again before i read this, but i'll keep that in mind, i still have my stock ones so i will have extra screws. thanks for the heads up, i guess i will have to wait until i get the parts to see what happens. good thing is its snowing right now so i won't have to truck it anywhere to test it out.

J

jbsumbc

Oct 26, 2008
Tumbler ridge b.c. Canada
It sure sounds like the tether to me, if you have a another tether, or take it in to the dealer to program a new tether, I have had my Zx for 8 years, and have gone thru a few of them, look inside of the tether, you will see a little piece of metal that should pop in and out.
Replace those boots you will eventually melt your sled.
Hope that will help you.

G
Feb 12, 2011
teather

i looked at my teather and it seems fine but i will check it really close again. i was told if that come off it will go into a limp mode and not go over 4 or 5 grand, but on my sled, i can get it past that and it seems to run alright but then it starts to bog again, i should be getting my new boyesen boots friday so i will put those one and see if that makes a difference and get back on here to say if that solved my problem. another guy told me on a different post that he had the same problem and he bought some v-force reeds for his and it runs great now, hopefully i have the same luck.

Premium Features