• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 800 HO oil leak

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
I have an 03 ZX 800 HO, I noticed today that there is an extremely large amount of oil across the front of the engine, and even more on the inside of the clutch/belt cover. pulleys and belt are soaked. I pulled the primary off and saw that the crank seal was actually crooked. As in one side of the seal is out by about 1/16''. I do not know definitively that this is the source of the leak. Seemed to make since at first, but i started it up and sprayed everything with carb spray and it did not change the idle at all. I had to replace my cables this year, and I know that the pump is giving too much oil (though i have the cable adjusted to proper specs per the manual). So i guess my question is, can oil leak from the crank seal? Is there some other failure that would cause the crank seal to be forced out? or was it likely installed wrong by the factory or previous owner? (there is no noticeable crankshaft end-play) Obviously i will be replacing the seal, and re-adjusting the oil pump. Anyone ever hear of such a problem? The sled runs great, other than i did have what seemed to be a loss of RPM/ power on a long climb in powder, but i figure that may be a product of oil soaked belt and clutches. Thanks in advance for any advice offered up!

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Check the y-pipe for cracks (a common problem). Mine was doing the same thing a couple years ago and it was just a small crack in the y-pipe that was blowing oil and gas back at the motor and toward the belts. I could not see the crack on the pipe until I removed it from the sled. I took it to a welding shop and he welded it up and has been fine for two years now. Could be a very easy fix, something to look at before you tear everything else apart.

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
The Y-pipe bolts to to the block were not very tight at all, in fact one of the bottom ones was missing. I pulled the Y-pipe off and the gaskets were clearly leaking. Looks like the previous owner used some sort of sealant in addition to the gaskets. I'm thinking bolts not tightened properly and incorrect sealant caused the failure and leak.
However the crank seal is still partly pushed out. I don't know how long it has been that way, nor do I know if it has been leaking. How daunting is the task of changing it?

heynagel

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
I also just welded my Y-pipe about a week ago due to cracking. If your looking to replace your crank seals, that's a complete engine tear down to access the seals. Not hard but time consuming.

F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
Maybe I'm wrong but I think you can do the PTO side crank seal without doing a full engine tear down, check over at Dootalk. com (include a pic of how your seal looks to help get a more accurate response).

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
I may be crazy, but i couldn't find any evidence of that white/ gray grease leaking from the crank seal, so I tapped it back in place (was just slightly pushed out on one side, not out all the way) I pressure checked it at 4 psi for 5 mins, then vaccuum checked it at 15 inches of vac for 10 mins with no drop either way. I'll check it again after riding this weekend.
Thanks again for all the advice so far. I don't have any cracks in my Y-pipe, but the gaskets were most definitely leaking.

Y
Nov 27, 2007
Moorhead MN
Crank seal retainer plate

When I rebuilt my 03 800HO I also installed a seal retainer plate, cost was about $30. good insurance I think. The 04 and newer came with a retainer only 03's didn't.

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
Still leaking...

OK, all cleaned up, new exhaust gaskets, took it out this weekend, still puking oil. Seems to be coming from the PTO crank seal, even though i pressure checked it. So is there PRESSURE at the crank seal, or vacuum when the engine is running? Was thinking the crankcase is under vacuum when running, so how can it be blowing oil? it's way more than Isoflex grease, it's enough to soak my clutches and belt, like i said before the sled runs great, put 80 miles on it this weekend.

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
OK, all cleaned up, new exhaust gaskets, took it out this weekend, still puking oil. Seems to be coming from the PTO crank seal, even though i pressure checked it. So is there PRESSURE at the crank seal, or vacuum when the engine is running? Was thinking the crankcase is under vacuum when running, so how can it be blowing oil? it's way more than Isoflex grease, it's enough to soak my clutches and belt, like i said before the sled runs great, put 80 miles on it this weekend.

There is not enough time to explain to you everything you need to know about this problem, just go to Dootalk and search "800 crank seal".

M
Feb 8, 2011
edmonton, ab
are you sure it's from the seal not one of the lines from the pump on the back of the motor? also there are two fittings capped off on the back of the engine also that are known for cracking and leaking oil after time. remove the carbs and examine them. my buddy's \03 had a craked cap on the mag fitting and it was spraying oil all over the clutches, belt, hood, etc.

Premium Features