• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

94 vmax clutch issue

Feb 14, 2013
Hi i have a 94 vmax 500 le and am having troubles with my clutch i think .I recently put a brand new belt on and a used secondary clutch . I have real good bottom end power and it pulls well up to around 80mph on a straight pull . But if i slack off and try to hold a steady speed around 30 mph or increase speed it gets boggy and will not accelerate untill you let the sled free roll a little and get on the gas again and it will pick up good . All that said i just only got the sled this season and the belt was wasted and the helix in the secondary was toast from the previous owner running it with no cam slides .. reason for the new used secondary . the used clutch was all apart when i got it so i put my spring in it (pink) paint on it and set the spring at A2 and rotated the clutch back to the next set of slides is the spring setting wrong or not enough rotation on it ?

A

attak06

Dec 23, 2007
st. cloud mn
500 vmax

the secondary needs to be in b2, make sure you have the correct sliders in it. yamaha used to sell two versions of them, cheep and expensive. the cheep ones will be destroyed in no time, probably why the old clutch was destroyed. if i'm remembering the old style clutch correctly, you rotate the moveable sheave counter clock wise until you can push the helix down over the sliders. the helix should be 39 degree i believe. where are you located? i think the cheep sliders were white and the good ones black. a guy i used to ride with learned the hard way when a dealer sold him the cheep ones, it didn't last a day and they melted destroying the new helix he had just replaced. hope this helps.

Feb 14, 2013
ok i will try that spring setting and yes it does have the white sliders in it the original clutch had the black ones in it .. I'm located in nova scotia .An other question should the secondary clutch float on the shaft or be fixed it had a 1/4'' free play when i got it
I have read some stuff on it saying people let them float so it centers it self yesterday was the first real ride i was on with it around 35 miles or so and the belt shows no sign of wear

Last edited:
Premium Features