• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1996 v-max

A

attak06

Dec 23, 2007
st. cloud mn
96 600

replace the head gasket with the 94-95 gasket and clutch it. make it pull hard at the right rpm. the 96 i think had the gytr pipe on it from the factory. if it is larger in diamater it has the new style pipe on it. best thing is raise the compression to the level of the 94-95, clutch it and rejet it. check the oil pump adjustment also. they were known to over oil.

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
If its an 800 you can make sick HP with that motor over 500HP.

I have owned several of them. Best bang for the buck. 45-50 TRUE HP. Look on the internet for Sport Port. Use Johns 800 V-Max 4 sport port and do the cylinders up. Takes some time, but worth the results. Open up the tripple exhaust ports a bit larger than his spec, you can almost use a drill bit. Yes get them LARGE. Then use Aaen quad pipes. Stock airbox with just the foam removed. Clutch it for around 8800 RPMs ( you may need a ing box ) and let it rip. Trust me it will......... Set compression to your liking.

I miss that dam thing............

LOL

Turbos are fun too. The noise is sick...just sick

Keith

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
replace the head gasket with the 94-95 gasket and clutch it. make it pull hard at the right rpm. the 96 i think had the gytr pipe on it from the factory. if it is larger in diamater it has the new style pipe on it. best thing is raise the compression to the level of the 94-95, clutch it and rejet it. check the oil pump adjustment also. they were known to over oil.
x2 Exactly right, this sled came with the factory GYT perf pipe on it. Prob was, Yamaha always protecting their warranty, put a fat head gasket in to lower comp. You can use the above mentioned gaskets or the aftermarket ones which came in two choices of thickness. This sled had the longer travel and coupled susp. It was a track spinner and needed adjustable transfer bars. All the power is worthless if the track won't hook up.

Premium Features