• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" terrain dominator?

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
will we see a 3" spring only pro, thinking if there is it would be the terrain dominator, like 2015s model....

doo has a 3", yamaha has a 3" which only means cat will too.

Think they will join the fad? or stay strong with their 2.6" lug

also........3" 2.86 ptich? or will they go to a 3" pitch...

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I think they will offer a 3" as a snow check option, but not sure If I will go that route or not. I like my X3 on the pro but it does have its down side also. the 2.6" might be the perfect balance. Eric

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I already placed my bet and explained why - poo will offer a 3" option. We've already seen some of the cat options in the Vipe release, poo won't be the only one to surrender the 3" market. And if there's a big woody in OEM market, it's poo for doo. Have no cousin's brother-in-law's sister insider knowledge, just a SWAG, and I don't really care either way. How's that for ambivalent. We'll all see next week.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Only reason I see Poo doing a 3" is just for marketing/selling, I think they know just like many of us do that the 2.6 is a better all around track and better suited for what the Pro is designed for, boondocking and side hilling and just being an all around awesome backcountry sled. Not just a stock sled thats just trying to have the high mark on a wide open hill, those lame days are over IMO...

But people are gonna think they need a 3" and that bigger is always better and they're gonna be pissed at Polaris if they're the only one without a 3", thats the only reason I see Poo offering a 3"

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I think there's a possibility of a track bigger than 3". Pretty sure it'll fit with the 7 tooth 2.86 drives.

That would leave NO reason to buy anything else for all those that go by stats:

Bigger track
45 lbs lighter
Equal or more hp
Narrower

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
yah, unlike dooooos thinking that EVERYONE wants a 3" tracked mountain sled. Just one model........ the pro and the standard will be 2.6 but the terrain dominator will be 3"

it would make sense because all the 2015 terrain dominator was, was a wrap, shocks and bumpers...... just add a 3" track and boom its what it should be.

i personally will be buying the 2.6 but it would be nice to see the 3" being 3 guys in my group have 3" pro rmks now.......but they dont ride them at home like i do.

hopefully this 2.6 is stout. the 5.1 has been flawless for me, can throw anything at it and its perfect. 90mph lake running, ditch banging, and gets me where i want in the hills. had 5000 miles on my 155 5.1 and it had no signs or wear from sask flat riding and mountain riding combined.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Only reason I see Poo doing a 3" is just for marketing/selling, I think they know just like many of us do that the 2.6 is a better all around track and better suited for what the Pro is designed for, boondocking and side hilling and just being an all around awesome backcountry sled. Not just a stock sled thats just trying to have the high mark on a wide open hill, those lame days are over IMO...

But people are gonna think they need a 3" and that bigger is always better and they're gonna be pissed at Polaris if they're the only one without a 3", thats the only reason I see Poo offering a 3"

I agree. And Poo would be crazy not to offer it purely from a marketing standpoint. Poo is really really good at marketing so my bet is that you will be able to get one if you want one.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Anybody else notice that basically everything on Doo and Yammy (and Cat will be also) is painted, wrapped or powdercoated? I just hope Poo gets a clue and covers up all that da*m raw aluminum. The preview vid of the Axys sure shows a lot of snow sticking to that front end. The new rear skid looks cleaner and more open inside, should lead to holding less snow.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
You guys are just mean. Give the other dogs a bone once in a while! Are you not tired of the domination already?

I mean it takes more traction and floatation to push heavier and fatter. A good comparison is like putting a plow on your pick-up. If you are a "plow" you need the track. Pro's do not have to "plow" so it would be unfair.

MO, if Poo puts a 3" on this year, what do Doo and Yam-Cat do next right away. That's right, 3.5" x 182", then 4" x 196, then,,,? Doo has no more colors left to try! Yama-Cat has just spent their budget on a new spindle. No money left for vids!
Sheesh, give 'em a break guys!

"Poor man's turbo"? MO it's more like "poor man's engineering" while your trying to catch up with lighter and skinnier which is what the rider feels.

Hope Poo is not this mean. It's a been a sh**ty year anyway. Imagine how you would feel if your heart is set on yellow or green and Poo announced 3 or 3.2".
I don't think doctor assisted suicide is legal yet.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
You guys are just mean. Give the other dogs a bone once in a while! Are you not tired of the domination already?

I mean it takes more traction and floatation to push heavier and fatter. A good comparison is like putting a plow on your pick-up. If you are a "plow" you need the track. Pro's do not have to "plow" so it would be unfair.

MO, if Poo puts a 3" on this year, what do Doo and Yam-Cat do next right away. That's right, 3.5" x 182", then 4" x 196, then,,,? Doo has no more colors left to try! Yama-Cat has just spent their budget on a new spindle. No money left for vids!
Sheesh, give 'em a break guys!

"Poor man's turbo"? MO it's more like "poor man's engineering" while your trying to catch up with lighter and skinnier which is what the rider feels.

Hope Poo is not this mean. It's a been a sh**ty year anyway. Imagine how you would feel if your heart is set on yellow or green and Poo announced 3 or 3.2".
I don't think doctor assisted suicide is legal yet.

George,
Doo 880

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Reality police - what exactly do you guys think the performance difference between a 2.6" track and a 3" would be? Like WB said, if the 2.6" is a softer track like the current 5.1, it will probably be equal to or greater than something like an X3.

Last edited:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
What exactly do you guys think the performance difference between a 2.6" track and a 3" would be? Like WB said, if the 2.6" is a softer track like the current 5.1, it will probably be equal to or greater than something like an X3.

I was thinking take the 2.6" profile and add on to it to get to 3" or whatever. It looks like it'd be ROUGHLY the same thickness as the 5.1 track at the tips.

Light, flexible, and tall would kill the X3 in most conditions. X3 is too beefy in my opinion.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
its all about when you get stuck and all your buds have 3 inchers.what will be said if you only running a 2.6.LOL

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The new 2.6" track is pretty cool... and it is based on one of my favorite tracks... the Camoplast 9175/9174 (AKA "new Challenger Extreme)...They made it in a 2.86"-pitch and added 0.10" to the paddle length.

Riding this track... It has great deep snow traction (where we found the deep snow in Alpine).

The X3 track sure is nice... and the variants, still made by camoplast, for the OEM's work well... BUT...BUT, there are trade-off's... the track is heavier in a 3" than a 2.6" for any given design.... The 9175-2.5" and 9220-X3, both 162"x15" wide with same pitch and paddle design ...the X3 is considerably heavier. Also... The extra paddle length changes the character of the sled.

Now...All that being said... I believe that with the AXYS PRO-RMK going to a 7-tooth driver... gives enough clearance for a 3" track... so I think that a Polaris Specific Snow-check only 3" version of their new track just makes sense.

We'll see next Monday.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
George,
Doo 880

I'll even give them a 900 today Tony. I was just out watching the birds build nests and started planting some seeds in the garden.

I feel "fatherly" today. The little-uns need some help.

Premium Features