• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hey mountian bikers

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
Pros
- You can pedal the full arc of the pedal stroke
- Makes up hill easier (see first pro)
- I find it easier to "jump" the bike over obstacles

Cons:
- When you forget your clipped in you WILL fall over.
- When going uphill if it gets too steep you can tip over. (see first con)
- Did I mention that when you forget your clipped in you WILL fall over.

C

catmandoo

Dec 20, 2001
Pros

Cons:

Very well said and I agree 100%
I do not use them but my buddy does and he has had some ugly spills due to those pedals.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm not a hardcore mtn. biker, but I do have clipless. You can turn down the spring tension a little to help come out a little quicker. Some practice and you come in and out when you want. Don't be scared away. But it's funny as all he11 when a mtn biker hits the ground because they couldn't get their foot out of the pedal.

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
I'm not a hardcore mtn. biker, but I do have clipless. You can turn down the spring tension a little to help come out a little quicker. Some practice and you come in and out when you want. Don't be scared away. But it's funny as all he11 when a mtn biker hits the ground because they couldn't get their foot out of the pedal.

Yeah, I laugh my a$$ off, right after I get up and make sure no one saw me.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Houston, TX
Pros

Cons:

Lol...reminds me of my old college roomate...one of his first rides out with them he tipped over into a big mud puddle and couldn't get unclipped. He said he just sat there blowing bubbles in the water freaking out, but that he laughed his butt off after he got unclipped and could breath again...it's those special moments that a person can only pray to catch on film......with that, I've never tried the clips but a lot of my friends have had them; they say similar things: you fall over all the time for a week or so but once you get use to it it's just second nature to unclipp.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
All have I have used is clipless, and I like it a lot better that way. I either downhill or urban ride, and I'm pretty sure I would crass hardcore if I was clipped in. They are nice for just pedaling, cause you can use the full range of pedaling motion.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I am 32 and love to ride. However, I have never tried using clipless pedals. I would like to try them. What are the pros and cons?

Pal

Ok, here's my story ..

I used to bike a _LOT_ back in jr. high and highschool, but sort of got out of it when was 17 or so....used to be pretty good, but since I always liked dinking around climbing rocks and hopping up logs I never put clipless pedals on back then, i just always had toe clips ..

Fast forward like 13 years later to 2009 ...

I decided to et back into mountain biking to help me stay in shape this summer, so I plunked down the cash for a 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 ...

It came with regular old plastic pedals, and I tried them for awhile .... then I was like "well, I'm not gonna be doing trials on an FSR bike" ...

So I ordered a set of Crank Bros. Candies MXR's ...

Needless to say, there is a _HUGE_ learning curve to these things.

First, you _WILL_ eat ****. You will. Plan on it, you are gonna have it happen.

Second, it takes them awhile to get broken in. They get easier and easier to use, because they break in, and you also start to get a feel for what crank position you have to be in in order to clip in and out ..

Keep in mind, I only have this summer on them, BUT ....

You are gonna wind up walking the bike in technical sections. They are a PITA to clip in and out of in technical terrain, end of story ...

However, on long climbs, cross country, and anything that isn't a really technical section, they're great, and I highly recommend them ...

If I am gonna go on all-day rides with differing sections, I'll put a light wrench and my plastic pedals in my backpack and swap them out .... heh :)

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
I have mountain biked and road biked for the last 20 years. Clipless pedals are by far the way to go. If you are doing strictly downhill or urban/bmx style you won't want them, but if you are climbing they are a must. There is a small learning curve, but they will make you a better rider and a more efficient one. Once you get it down you can get out of your pedal just as quick as stepping off a platform pedal. Here is the key. Before you head up on the mountain go to a park with lots of grass. Ride around, stop, clip out and clip in. Spend a few hours doing this. If you have a park with some hills, even better. Clip in and out in every scenario possible. If you do this once you get on the mountain it will be a lot easier on you. I have never met a serious rider who doesn't understand the importance and benefit of clipless pedals. Again, they will make you a better rider. Good luck.

Last edited:
L
Mar 22, 2009
Valemount, BC
it all depends on what you like to ride, if your a cross country nut or you like the open road then go for the clipless, but downhill or freeride is a nightmare with clipless, there are some high quality flatform pedals that have insane grip and work super good for every kind of riding
thats my 2 bits

ps mtnpull, why are you selling all those new sleds?

Stuck

Premium Member
Feb 4, 2002
Bridger, MT
Get a set of clipless with platforms so you can still ride the technical stuff not clipped. There is a little bit of a learning curve but the platform will definetly add some confidence. But once you are used to it you wont feel comfortable when you aren't clipped! I love mine. I have way more confidence clipped in haulin a$$ down single track now! Just do it. you wont regret it! Oh yeah, you will fall over!

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
Thanks for the input guys. Lately I have been riding my bike (early 2000's Hardrock) to work on a paved trail. However, I love going offroad any chance I get. MM, I may just have to try the clipless pedals. Mntpull, I like your advice of trying in the grass. My parents have just the place to give it a try.

L
Mar 22, 2009
Valemount, BC
Thanks for the input guys. Lately I have been riding my bike (early 2000's Hardrock) to work on a paved trail. However, I love going offroad any chance I get. MM, I may just have to try the clipless pedals. Mntpull, I like your advice of trying in the grass. My parents have just the place to give it a try.

heypal - let us know how it goes, have fun

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
You WILL fall over!

I also found that the type of shoes used also made a difference. Mine looked like hiking boots and the rugged soles made it a b!tch to clip out, but they did look cool! I did fall over at the worst possible moments, and making sure your feet are in the correct position to get the clip to release was a pain. I went back to the traditional clipped pedals and never looked back.

Let us know if you find out how the grass tastes! Did anyone mention, you WILL fall over! Have fun!!!

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
I run SPD's

Pro's Much better

Con's, none when u get use to them.

Premium Features