• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M-7 Servo Motor cables popping out of motor

S

snodad

Jan 5, 2008
I have now had the servo motor to power valve cables pop completely free of the servo motor twice. The first time it happened I thought it was due to a bad sideways landing off of a jump, but it happened again today with no jumping beforehand. So, do I need a new servo motor? I can pull the cables by hand roughly 3/8" to 1/2" and the power valves seem to open and close smoothly, with nice spring retraction. But, would seem that at times when I close the throttle the power valves maybe don't close and therefore create slack in the cables. But they seem to pull shut just fine when pulling the cable with my fingers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
there is a clip to hold the cables in place did yours come up missing?
put some silicon on the housing end and then put them in the plastic and put the silicon on the cable ball end at the servo this will help most of the problem
btw check the cables for wear and clean the valves!

T
I had this problem earlier this year and it was a combination of a bad voltage regulator...check your head light for dimming, or-and the set screw coming loose in the motor potenteameter??, see if you can move the round part the cables rap onto in and out....if there is any slack you need to tighten the set-screw that is under the rubber plug on the end of the motor housing. Also the m-8's come with a cover to keep the cables in place but not the 7's

L

luv2sledmt

Dec 15, 2008
C. Falls, MT
I had the exact same problem a couple weeks ago. I cleaned the power-valves and adjusted the cables to specs and for safe keeping threw a peice of gorilla tape where the cable barrels slide out. Put on 200 miles over the last 3 days and no problem, all in tree riding so they opened and closed alot. I think the biggest problem was out of adjustment for me, just tighten them up. Haven't heard of the clip on the new m's so im gonna go check that out.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
happened to my buddys m7 last year, he just cleaned the valves and threw the clip off of the m8 on the servo and hasnt had a problems since. like mentioned the m7 didnt come with the clip to hold the cables on but one off of an m8 will work.

S

snodad

Jan 5, 2008
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check it out in the shop this time and try to get a clip from an M-8. I'll also try to search for the adjustment specifications for the cables and do that while I am messing around with it. Does anyone know whether the servo motor reindexes itself when the engine is started? You can turn the servo motor shaft all the way around if you want to which would mean there has to be a reference point for the rotation of the motor before making the cable adjustments.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
does anyone know of a part number or picture maybe of the clip for m8? i have an m7 and there is a clip for the cable housings but not for the cable barrels. i had one slide out on me. cant find it on the parts fische

Premium Features