• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So many UNUSED spare belts on my Gen 4 850s

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What I will say, with confidence, is that there are a SIGNIFICANT NUMBER of G4-850 owners that ARE having belt issues and that some of those are severe issues.

Not trying to make a case that no one is having issues Eric.
We all accept that fact.
There are clearly heat issues for some riders.
What drives everyone nuts is trying to figure out the commonality in that small subset of riders. Those that blow through belts seem to blow through a LOT of belts, and frequently in relatively short order.

While those that don't get very traditional longevity out of their's.
Its frequently a huge disparity between the groups.

No doubt that BRP "IS" making structural changes to the sleds to address this issue, and good for them, none of the user groups should be suffering from this problem.

Moving forward I am sure it will be solved.
The real question is how to retrofit the 2017s and 2018s to take full advantage of the changes.

Any idea if the Motor Mounts will be retrofittable?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I hate threads like this! Its just as bad as a flatlander out east riding a summit saying that he is not having belts issues as well. Everyone rides differently and all of these sleds are not the same. Too many variables, It also takes away from guys that actually are having issues, if their was not a problem doo would not of tried to turn the clutches into a centrifugal blower (cures the symptom but not the problem), discontinue a perfectly good 391 belt, and actually admit that the drivetrain is flexing too much.

Im glad you had a great time in revy Christopher. But I also know local pro riders in revy and Sicamous who had nothing but bad luck with belts on the 850. They are not online nor would they ever comment online about their issues.

If youe spare belts are brand new and are 391’s shoot me a pm and Ill buy some from you.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
The real question is how to retrofit the 2017s and 2018s to take full advantage of the changes.

I called my dealer this week to ask about retrofitting my 2018. All I got was a lot of "Uhhhhh" from sales and service." Still working on it I'm sure but the general lack of knowledge regarding changes from 17-19 makes me wonder.

Maybe I'm reading into it a little too much but a, "We know what BRP is doing in 19 but we aren't sure about which of those changes will migrate over" would have given me a better feeling.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I hate threads like this! Its just as bad as a flatlander out east riding a summit saying that he is not having belts issues as well. Everyone rides differently and all of these sleds are not the same. Too many variables, It also takes away from guys that actually are having issues, if their was not a problem doo would not of tried to turn the clutches into a centrifugal blower (cures the symptom but not the problem), discontinue a perfectly good 391 belt, and actually admit that the drivetrain is flexing too much.

Im glad you had a great time in revy Christopher. But I also know local pro riders in revy and Sicamous who had nothing but bad luck with belts on the 850. They are not online nor would they ever comment online about their issues.

If youe spare belts are brand new and are 391’s shoot me a pm and Ill buy some from you.

I hate posts like this^^^
“I know people having nothing but bad luck with belts”
Thanks for letting us know!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Not one word about there poor clutching calibration.. If we have rubber deposits on secondary as I had and others I ride with have had this video does not do much..

You can do all you want with clutching fins, motor mounts.. But that's not your heat source brp..

I agree with the statement that most people on their Gen-4 850's are not having major belt issues..

What I will say, with confidence, is that there are a SIGNIFICANT NUMBER of G4-850 owners that ARE having belt issues and that some of those are severe issues.

The recent Ski-Doo upgrades in 2018 and again with even newer improvements on the 2019 G4-850's is an indication that those numbers are significant enough... And, by their actions, showing that this is a problem they are aware of.

Good on them for recognizing the issue..

For those people that have documented severe belt issues... and loss of enjoyment of their sled...SkiDoo/BRP should, in good faith, be stepping up to the plate to help get these people back on the snow... Especially if it is indeed just a very small percentage as they claim.... do the right thing.

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lhL7HYKyG4k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
I have a 2018 summit 154 ,1200 miles ,no blown belts . The clutch does get so hot you can not touch it . My son's 2017 summit 154 on his second belt ,the last one punched a hole in the pan and bent the clutch guard . I saw a sled same as my son's with the guard punched through the side cover ,and hit the rider in his knee . Pan has a hole in it also .:face-icon-small-sho

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
It does suck for the ones blowing all the belts. But what really concerns me is all the heat on the crank bearings. Time will tell.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Not trying to make a case that no one is having issues Eric.
We all accept that fact.
There are clearly heat issues for some riders.
What drives everyone nuts is trying to figure out the commonality in that small subset of riders. Those that blow through belts seem to blow through a LOT of belts, and frequently in relatively short order.

While those that don't get very traditional longevity out of their's.
Its frequently a huge disparity between the groups.

No doubt that BRP "IS" making structural changes to the sleds to address this issue, and good for them, none of the user groups should be suffering from this problem.

Moving forward I am sure it will be solved.

This isn't rocket science. Some guys ride their sleds WAY harder than other guys.
2 850's in our group have been through 25+ belts in 2 years combined. It's unacceptable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

F
Mar 5, 2018
Not one word about there poor clutching calibration.. If we have rubber deposits on secondary as I had and others I ride with have had this video does not do much..

You can do all you want with clutching fins, motor mounts.. But that's not your heat source brp..

What do you think is the main cause of it? Genuine question looking for real world advice/info, as I am 130 miles into my new 850 and already chunked a belt, and coming from Axys FWIW.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Not that big of a fan of the pdrive yet, but we found on the 175 calibration from stock to add 2.5 grams per arm to pivot bolt on primary, then go to black secondary spring, and I'm not sure what elevation you ride but we went with an adjustable helix from shockwave and were able to pull 4 turns out or about 47 degree helix at 7000' and still maintain a very good back shift and droped peri are temps almost 100f with much quicker acceration

Been a few guys that done this same change and similar results..

F
Mar 5, 2018
Not that big of a fan of the pdrive yet, but we found on the 175 calibration from stock to add 2.5 grams per arm to pivot bolt on primary, then go to black secondary spring, and I'm not sure what elevation you ride but we went with an adjustable helix from shockwave and were able to pull 4 turns out or about 47 degree helix at 7000' and still maintain a very good back shift and droped peri are temps almost 100f with much quicker acceration

Been a few guys that done this same change and similar results..

Awesome! One of my best riding buddies just got the 175 and I have a 154 (for my wife) and looking to get a 165 for me. We ride from 6500-9000k so that sounds like something we should do..?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
One thing that stands out to me is some of the guys who are blowing belts aren’t changing anything in their clutching. They just keep putting new belts in like the sled is going to fix itself. I lost a belt at 250 miles. A piece of the outside toothed area about 8” long came off. I took it to my dealer, I90 Motorsports. They started a claim and gave me a new belt. Put in the black secondary spring and added weight to the clutch. Charged me $90, $30 for the spring and $60 labor which is totally fair. I’ve been adding even more weight and I’ve now got almost 400 miles on the new belt with no problem.
If guys are actually working the issue and trying something simple like I did or installing a clutch kit and still having terrible belt issues I feel for them. I had a sled like that(Cat 1100T with 300hp) and spent way to much solving the problem.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
One thing that stands out to me is some of the guys who are blowing belts aren’t changing anything in their clutching. They just keep putting new belts in like the sled is going to fix itself. I lost a belt at 250 miles. A piece of the outside toothed area about 8” long came off. I took it to my dealer, I90 Motorsports. They started a claim and gave me a new belt. Put in the black secondary spring and added weight to the clutch. Charged me $90, $30 for the spring and $60 labor which is totally fair. I’ve been adding even more weight and I’ve now got almost 400 miles on the new belt with no problem.
If guys are actually working the issue and trying something simple like I did or installing a clutch kit and still having terrible belt issues I feel for them. I had a sled like that(Cat 1100T with 300hp) and spent way to much solving the problem.

They should have done it for free! I'm still just confused how you can go from something so good 15-16s to complete garbage. Its a joke really. 15k for a sled and cant get 100 miles on a $200 belt.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I think some of you are setting the target too low!!

Reading repeatedly about sleds having gone 700 miles on a belt, well I should bloody well hope so!! A belt should be worn out not torn, ripped or blown!! And to wear a belt out takes thousands of miles if it is never overheated!

I am considering getting a Lynx 850 for next year but these belt issues honestly scare me, a friend of mine owns the local BRP dealership and they are handing out LOADS of belts to a lot of 850's.......
I currently have a stock RMK 800 -15 which is on it's second belt now after roughly 3500 km, about 2.2k miles. I have done nothing to it besides fitting both mag and PTO side Fire'n Ice engine supports and made sure the secondary clutch has enough float on the axle.
Before I got the RMK I first had a -11 Freeride 800 and then an -13 Boondocker 800, (also an E-tec), and on both of these I had to do a lot of tinkering to get belts past 1000km, floating Team Tied etc, and still I always had to think about nursing the belt and be aware of any sign that it was getting hot. The polaris doesn't need the same nursing.

Had it been like a couple of years ago when I used to ride more and changed sleds every, or every other year I would take a chance on Polaris new engine and buy the SKS 850. But this time I'm getting a sled to keep for 3 or 4 years and since Poo are cheating us over here on the 4 years warranty you are getting, the Lynx Boondocker RE 850 with 4 years warranty is still the safer bet.

Any idea if the Team Tied conversion kit I kept from the XP sleds fit the G4?

Premium Features