• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Take your snow flap off.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Also if you have the removable flap cut the bottom 4 ish inches off. As you can see by that last pic it sticks out either over or thru the grab bar and gets in the way. Can be hard to get a grip on the bar.
To the guys posting that it runs hotter without a flap who cares??? It’s not over heating, just a bar or two warmer and only then if the trail is hard to icy. If Ski Doo put scratchers on their sleds that actually worked on a hard trail that would make a way bigger difference.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Also if you have the removable flap cut the bottom 4 ish inches off. As you can see by that last pic it sticks out either over or thru the grab bar and gets in the way. Can be hard to get a grip on the bar.
To the guys posting that it runs hotter without a flap who cares??? It’s not over heating, just a bar or two warmer and only then if the trail is hard to icy. If Ski Doo put scratchers on their sleds that actually worked on a hard trail that would make a way bigger difference.

It is key to keep my sled running as cool as possible as I am trying to get 20,000 miles out of my sled before I sell it!!!:face-icon-small-dis

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

I wouldn't cut it off. That is what my dealer did before I bought his demo. I did have it hot. We were in alpine, in less than stellar snow, riding a bunch of trail to get to an area. It was hot and starting to retard and shut us down. I hate shutting one down because they just get hotter. Tried everything and not enough to cool it. I let it idle while I piled snow on the tunnel. This was extreme conditions where the snow got rained on and froze so not your everyday condition. When we pulled gear into the box y I switched to my wife's sled that didn't have the flap cut and was fine.
Imo take the flap off or run it stock.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So in that kind of situation where it’s really ice the snow flap could give you a bar or two and that might make the dif. A real set of scratchers would make a bigger difference tho. The little ones on stock 850s don’t do much at all.
Something guys were doing in that extreme icey trail situations was putting “onion bags”, big nylon bags onions are shipped in, full of snow on the tunnel with bungees. They weigh nothing empty. Super easy to kick snow into or shovel if you prefer and they actually hold the snow on the tunnel until melts.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I was thinking I needed a rack that held snow. Couldn't hardly dig into the snow. Can't remember if I had to get a shovel out. Blew an 872 up on that road running 4 bars. Shut it off for a split second and restarted and almost went over bars when it went down. They said I got it hot. Still have 2 more bars and the it takes some for them to go into limp mode.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Terry my 872 always ran hotter than a stocker. We have to keep an eye on it whenever the trails are hard. It seemed like 2 bars higher than a stock 800. And you are right when you stop them they get hotter for a while.

Premium Features