• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

170 H.P. from a 4 turbo 4 stroke?

H
Dec 12, 2009
Isn't Yamaha getting 150 from a N/A motor with at least 50cc less displacement? Wasn't all the weight associated with a 4 stroke supposed to be offset by big horsepower numbers?

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Isn't Yamaha getting 150 from a N/A motor with at least 50cc less displacement? Wasn't all the weight associated with a 4 stroke supposed to be offset by big horsepower numbers?

dude this cat engine has been out for 3 years, its nothing new. the yamaha engine is a quad, 4 cylinders hence why it produces more hp. the cat is only a twin.

im sick of all these stupid threads that have no point what so ever but to piss people off. :face-icon-small-con

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
First off its 177 hp and its only a twin not a four banger. It also will most likely weigh 100 to 150 lbs less. Plus all you need to do is send you box in to speedwrex and for 600 bucks you will have 240 hp on pump gas and a rock solid reliable sled.

H
Dec 12, 2009
First off its 177 hp and its only a twin not a four banger. It also will most likely weigh 100 to 150 lbs less.

I will put $1,000 bet on that, there is no chance in hell that it will weigh 100 pounds less. If it did they would have published dry weight for the sleds. Lightweight sells in the mountain market and they know it, so why wouldn't they use it to their advantage if it was the truth?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Correct

For point and shoot it should be fine- but it will ride you in Boondocking, as it should not.
I for one am leaning toward the limited turbo- but if she is pig heavy i will have to down grade to the 800-
ya get tired riding m1000 at the end of the day- ( I have had 2 of them)-and just sold my last one in December-
The M8 or Pro leaves you not wanting to go back to the truck/ as this new pro * should be it but- it hard to go backwards when it comes to torque that us 1000cc riders are use to....ya still gotta work them 800's up the hill.

SC

H
Dec 12, 2009
dude this cat engine has been out for 3 years, its nothing new. the yamaha engine is a quad, 4 cylinders hence why it produces more hp. the cat is only a twin.

im sick of all these stupid threads that have no point what so ever but to piss people off. :face-icon-small-con

So it's not a new engine, by design it is going to be down on horsepower when compared to the rest of the market, it isn't any lighter than other four strokes producing more horsepower... what else did I miss here?

I think the reason that you are seeing so many of these threads is because there are a lot of people who are disappointed with arctic cats attempt at a new mountain sled.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Cat must meet EPA regs or they can't sell the sleds.....do they have a 2-stroke that meets the regs yet? Perhaps they had no choice but to go 4S or not build sleds.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
So it's not a new engine, by design it is going to be down on horsepower when compared to the rest of the market, it isn't any lighter than other four strokes producing more horsepower... what else did I miss here?

I think the reason that you are seeing so many of these threads is because there are a lot of people who are disappointed with arctic cats attempt at a new mountain sled.

wow you must be a full blow ``ruhtard`` its a 3 year old engine, same thing that is has been, how is it down on hp? it has the most hp in the market you dumbass? it isnt any lighter then any four stroke? ohhh i didnt know you seen the published weights from cat?

:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con

H
Dec 12, 2009
wow you must be a full blow ``ruhtard`` its a 3 year old engine, same thing that is has been, how is it down on hp? it has the most hp in the market you dumbass? it isnt any lighter then any four stroke? ohhh i didnt know you seen the published weights from cat?

:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con

I know your still young dumb and full of cum so I will splain to you a little more slowly. The TURBO 1100 is only making 170 HP, the Yamaha stock is making over 150 with 50cc less displacement. So tell me genius if the turbo makes 170, how much horsepower do you think the naturally aspirated 1100 makes?

That's how it's down on horsepower and that's why it isn't the industry leading 4 stroke. Shouldn't you be in school right now instead of playing the internet?

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I know your still young dumb and full of cum so I will splain to you a little more slowly. The TURBO 1100 is only making 170 HP, the Yamaha stock is making over 150 with 50cc less displacement. So tell me genius if the turbo makes 170, how much horsepower do you think the naturally aspirated 1100 makes?

That's how it's down on horsepower and that's why it isn't the industry leading 4 stroke. Shouldn't you be in school right now instead of playing the internet?

Seems pretty simple to me. Bone stock AC makes 177 hp Bone stock apex makes 150 hp. Which number do you think is higher.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada

Do you think the cat 1100 might just POSSIBLY make 150 NA if they also added 2 more cylinders to the design? Probably. If you had a choice of 2 stock sleds, for the same money - would you take the higher HP and lighter weight cat? Or the huge Yami with less power?

And point 2 - we all know the reason they don't go overboard with the factory rated HP is because of liability. What happens when Joe Schmo buys his brand new 240 HP turbo and injures himself because he has never even ridden a sled before? The engine is perfectly capable of pumping out bigger numbers and staying reliable, now are half of the owners going to be capable of handling those numbers?

Last edited:

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA

Umm,,,, Old guy,,, The 1100 IS A TURBO. I believe it always has been. Oh Ya,, I'm an old guy too, according to today's standards. Don't see what you're not getting with this.

M
May 19, 2009
cle elum WA
Can we please not turn this into a You-tube style "your retarded. No your retarded!" style argument.

It is a clearly known fact that in NON TURBO form the 1100 makes only 120 horse, but with a stock TURBO the motor makes over 170 horse with the possibility of 300+.

Please if you are going to say something, use educated facts and don't let anger fuel your posts.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
OK FACTUAL INFO FOR THE THREAD CATS 4S IS 1056CC 120HP N/A TWIN
CATS TURBO IS 177HP STOCK MORE WITH AFTERMARKET STUFF

FACT 2010 YAMAHA GENESIS IS 1049CC 130HP N/A THREE CYLINDER

FACT NO TURBO/ AFTERMARKET NUMBERS ARE SIMALAR TO CATS
:scared::nod::wave::loco:

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
OK FACTUAL INFO FOR THE THREAD CATS 4S IS 1056CC 120HP N/A TWIN
CATS TURBO IS 177HP STOCK MORE WITH AFTERMARKET STUFF

FACT 2010 YAMAHA GENESIS IS 1049CC 130HP N/A THREE CYLINDER

FACT NO TURBO/ AFTERMARKET NUMBERS ARE SIMALAR TO CATS
:scared::nod::wave::loco:

How do you figure?? Even at meager HP numbers a yammy on 13 lbs which is what the Cat is running to achieve 177 is going to be in the 240 hp range. That makes them pretty darn equal right? I mean all you guys are claiming that speedwerx can get 240 out of them with just a fuel controller...Yah two cylinders versus three equals more torque but the displacement is too similar to make an arguement. Besides that, the only guy who has built a full out mountain version with this "proven" motor is CR Racing, and even Chad says it doesnt pull as hard or even compare. Until someone can actually get a weight on the sled, the fact that its gonna be a boondocker is pretty much a mute topic.

AS another note, if your gonna go for big HP numbers I would probably look at D & D as they are claiming they can make close to 290 hp with there 1200 dollar tuner on the stock turbo setup..

On a side note, I am kind of fond of the looks of the chassis minus the a arms

Last edited:
G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I don't think anyone was trying to say that this is going to lay down better numbers then a fully modded apex or nitro, but stock for stock its is by far the biggest 4 stoke out there and for a very small additional investment you can lay down some very good numbers on pump gas for way less $$$ then you ever could on a yamahammar. 300 hp for about 1500 sounds like pretty cheap power to me. Plus if the weight does come in at that 550 lbs range it should handle fairly well. Just dropping off that giant can will probably save about 20lbs.

I think this sled looks very interesting but only time will tell the true story.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
How do you figure?? Even at meager HP numbers a yammy on 13 lbs which is what the Cat is running to achieve 177 is going to be in the 240 hp range. That makes them pretty darn equal right? I mean all you guys are claiming that speedwerx can get 240 out of them with just a fuel controller...Yah two cylinders versus three equals more torque but the displacement is too similar to make an arguement. Besides that, the only guy who has built a full out mountain version with this "proven" motor is CR Racing, and even Chad says it doesnt pull as hard or even compare. Until someone can actually get a weight on the sled, the fact that its gonna be a boondocker is pretty much a mute topic.

On a side note, I am kind of fond of the looks of the chassis minus the a arms

SO YOUR SAYING WITH 13LBS BOOST YAMMAHA IS GETTING 110HP BOOST AND CAT IS ONLY GETTING 60ish HP HUH! I RESERCHED MY INFO GUESS I WILL HAVE TO RESEARCH YOURS:ranger::loco: MT DREAM! CAN YOU CONFIRM THIS HOPE YOUR OUT THERE FOR THIS ONE

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
Horse power is based on RPM. That is the reason the Yamaha makes 150 hp because target RPM on that engine is 10800-11000. Any 4 stroke engine will make more power if you rev it higher the problem is stabilizing the valve train at those high rpm ( 358 c.i. nascar motors spin near 10k at some tracks and make 900 hp) You cant spin a CVT clutch that RPM without it coming apart that is why the apex motor has a gear reduction built into the case to slow the drive down to roughly 8000 RPM. Another advantage of the 4 cylinder is volumetric efficiency. The smaller bore makes for better cylinder fill by the intake port. This is less important on boosted engines but still has an effect on total power output. The Nytro motor as stated by RCR3 (1050 triple) is less efficient and the target RPM is 8800 and makes approx. 130 hp. The fact is its all pistons rods and valves not rocket science. The big CAT twin will require more boost to make similar power simply because its a lower revving twin. But who cares the stock turbo is good to 18 lbs and with a bigger turbo that little engine has been proven to be bullet proof at 30+ lbs with the stock bottom end. Iv also spoken with chad at CR about his cat z1... He said it didnt make as much power but he also said it was much heavier than he thought he could make it. As far as I know he never put a bigger turbo on it.

Last edited:
Premium Features