• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Base Package Pickups

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
How many folks out there are getting by with lower trim level pickups? Sledders always seem to want the latest and greatest of everything, myself included. However, I'm starting to question what is really needed on my next pickup purchase. I'm going to be in the market for a diesel truck before the end of the year (hopefully) and the reality of truck prices is really setting in as I'm starting to layout my budget.

What really got me thinking about this is I ran across an ad last week for a truck: 2012 Ford F-450, 4wd, crew cab, emissions deleted, a decent flatbed, new tires, and 120k miles for $25k. The deal was it was an XL trim truck. The same truck in Lariat trim would be in the $40k range. Didn't appear to be beat up in photos, but you never know until you really see them. It had the basics: power windows, locks, cruise, heat/AC, CD player/radio with aux port, vinyl floor and seats, split front seat with fold down console, fold up rear seats, and running boards. In all honesty it wasn't that poorly equipped compared to what I'm used to driving now. It was an extra long wheelbase truck, so it had a 12' flatbed. With the wide track front end, turning radius would be about the same as a 350 crew cab long box. Driving it in town and parking wouldn't be a concern anyway with me keeping my old F-150 daily driver. Probably had a 40+gal fuel tank in the rear.

The more I thought about it the more it seemed this would actually make a pretty sweet sledding rig. Twelve foot bed would hold 2 mountain sleds nicely, and could probably do 3. All that space under the bed between the cab and rear wheels would be prime for large tool boxes to hold gear bags and gas cans aside from the standard truck items. Don't have to worry about tracking snow/mud in on the rubber floor.

Anyway, it's enough for me to think about what my priorities are. Anyone gone this route and really regretted it? Other downside from not having all the creature comforts is the resale isn't going to be great, but you're not paying what you're getting back out of it up front either.

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
How many folks out there are getting by with lower trim level pickups? Sledders always seem to want the latest and greatest of everything, myself included. However, I'm starting to question what is really needed on my next pickup purchase. I'm going to be in the market for a diesel truck before the end of the year (hopefully) and the reality of truck prices is really setting in as I'm starting to layout my budget.

What really got me thinking about this is I ran across an ad last week for a truck: 2012 Ford F-450, 4wd, crew cab, emissions deleted, a decent flatbed, new tires, and 120k miles for $25k. The deal was it was an XL trim truck. The same truck in Lariat trim would be in the $40k range. Didn't appear to be beat up in photos, but you never know until you really see them. It had the basics: power windows, locks, cruise, heat/AC, CD player/radio with aux port, vinyl floor and seats, split front seat with fold down console, fold up rear seats, and running boards. In all honesty it wasn't that poorly equipped compared to what I'm used to driving now. It was an extra long wheelbase truck, so it had a 12' flatbed. With the wide track front end, turning radius would be about the same as a 350 crew cab long box. Driving it in town and parking wouldn't be a concern anyway with me keeping my old F-150 daily driver. Probably had a 40+gal fuel tank in the rear.

The more I thought about it the more it seemed this would actually make a pretty sweet sledding rig. Twelve foot bed would hold 2 mountain sleds nicely, and could probably do 3. All that space under the bed between the cab and rear wheels would be prime for large tool boxes to hold gear bags and gas cans aside from the standard truck items. Don't have to worry about tracking snow/mud in on the rubber floor.

Anyway, it's enough for me to think about what my priorities are. Anyone gone this route and really regretted it? Other downside from not having all the creature comforts is the resale isn't going to be great, but you're not paying what you're getting back out of it up front either.

I think it really boils down to your needs and wants...and balancing them...i know lots of guys who hate leather so there always in a lower trim truck with cloth seats. Honestly it comes down to weather or not you want heated and cooled seats really. If its new enough most of them all the back up cameras, and most everything has power locks and doors unless its a work truck model.

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
I dislike all the b.s. electronics. The new trucks have so much of it. I went with xlt superduty because that was what I could get a hold of and the price was great. (My old truck was an 01 lariat, which was simple compared to the new lariat trim)
It has all the stuff I need and none of the touch screen b.s. that only is a distraction and extra expense to repair.
To each their own, but I like the simple stereo and all. It still has Bluetooth and remote start and supplemental heater.
I'm happy with my choice. I prefer to drive my truck not play with electronics ;)

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I drive a half ton for work in the woods. Used to be driving my own rig (by choice) and had 3 F150 SuperCrew Lariats. Company changed policy and put me in a '17 F150 Supercrew XL. Electric doors/mirrors, 4wd, 3.5 EB/10 speed. Nice enough truck. Biggest thing I missed was the heated seats for my back. I didn't like the cloth XL seats so I installed vinyl covers and installed seat heaters under these covers. Now, I'm pretty happy with the truck. I still own my '12 Lariat that I installed rear seat heaters in. Trip to McCall a couple weeks ago, the guy that rode in the back was pretty pleased with seat heat that is wired through a power-on relay (with switch of course). Since we were running short trips to the snow, he left the heater on so when I remote started the truck his seat was already warming up! My daughter drives an older Outback that I installed a back up camera on. Works really well for $150.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Easy for me. Don't like leather, and the plain seats work better for taller guys.

Insane to me that people not only want all that crap, but are willing to pay for it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Easy for me. Don't like leather, and the plain seats work better for taller guys.

Insane to me that people not only want all that crap, but are willing to pay for it.

I prefer the feel of sitting in a cloth seat to leather as well. Never liked sitting on something I could slide around on. Heated cloth would be my choice if I could order a new truck.

How much lower are the cloth ones than the leather?! I'm a taller guy and I can't hardly sit in any newer truck without slouching in the seat to keep my head away from the roof, regardless of brand. All my friends newer trucks have leather though. 2010 and older Fords I'm fine regardless of the type of seats. 2011-2016 they changed something and I'm a little cramped for space. 2017+ there's more room again.

I agree if you have the spare cash and it's what you want go for it. I'm just no where near being able to spring for a high end model that's any newer than a 2010. Just trying to prioritize what I really need/want so I could maybe get a newer rig with fewer miles since I'll probably have it for a while.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Keep in mind the resale value.
Loaded trucks sell faster and higher.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It really boils down to preference. Whatever you gain on the purchase price, you will likely give up something similar on the resale -unless you keep vehicles until end of useful life. I'm not one for excess electronics, but do like leather seats. We have cloth seats in one of our vehicles and leather in the other. With a kid and large dog in the fam....cleanup in the leather vehicle is a breeze compared to cloth.

As my current truck is getting older, the thought of buying a new/newer truck with all the gadgets really doesn't excite me...I can turn a knob to adjust heater, back up without a camera, etc. Just more junk that doesn't work when the truck gets a few years old. So I get that part for sure!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I can live with an old school radio.
But I really do appreciate the other amenities.
Be hard to give up...
Backup camera
Heated and cooled seats
Power seats are getting more important as I get older. Being able to frequently move seat around helps with fatigue in back and hips.
If I had to ride 800 miles in a "work truck" to get to the mountains, I'm afraid I'd quit snowmobiling.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I got an XLT supercrew for a great price. I wanted the 4 door ecoboost, but when I found the V8 at a 20% discount compared to the 4 door eco I went for it. The salesman tried to talk me into the 4 door eco with a higher electronics package saying that my model didn't have a touch screen or any of that BS. Joke was on him I hate touch screens- you can't use them with gloves on and if your hands are dirty you don't want to use them. Oh and the cheap model had the 36 gallon tank :D

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
When I was looking at a truck, I was planning on getting one ~5 years old as its only a work/road trip truck, not a DD. I happened to come across a MINT old super duty lariat (probably one of the nicest in the country from that generation) for less than I was planning to spend for a newer one so I grabbed that.

I added heated seats and a dvd player/bluetooth/backup camera/dvr/etc, so it has all the features I wanted and I plan to keep it for a long time and just use it for working and road trips.

For anyone interested, you can add heated seats to any truck for about $25 and ~2-3 hrs per seat, well worth it.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Buy the cheaper truck (electronically) Get the mechanicals right and take a trip to the local Pick A Part . . plenty of new options to be had.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I was looking at new truck prices, went through the online build processes and had to question myself. If I really wanted to pay eight hundred a month for thirty years that I don't really like, Or pay fifty more bucks a month for thirty years with all the bells and whistles that may fool me into some sort of enjoyment?

Oh then insure a new one, and Wyoming licences are insane expensive every year, then the EPA nonsense! Ugh

Chose a different route, just keep fixin what I got. I'll just be driving my old rust bucket Chevy while I fix the ol fancy ferd.

Or for the price of the new pickup I could buy thirty six 90's chevys!

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Pickup trucks are high margin profit generators for the manufacturers.
Heavy Duties can be fully depreciated first year. For example, a $60k truck would only cost me $45k. (ONLY, LOL)
The manufacturers know this and realize that this helps the buyers justify their decision to spend more than they otherwise would.

Here's how that plays out in the real world for most people, at least for me anyway.

I'd buy this new truck knowing the tax savings illustrated above. Problem is, I'd finance it and after year one, I'm not only making payments on truck that is depreciating as fast as I'm paying for it, but now I'm cash strapped and cannot afford other deductible purchases. Therefore I'm now paying far more taxes than practical.
To top it off, truck will be out of warranty and I'll be paying for repairs and tires and maintenance on top of payments, taxes insurance.

All of this headache and financial stress just trick myself into buying a truck that I didn't really need in the first place.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Once you have the recurring taxable business income - and you pay cash for a business truck - you can write off 100% of the price ("section 179") in a single year. Lots of carryover trucks are bought each December this way. You can flip a truck every year or two for close to no impact on cash flow, if you don't destroy the truck. You would have paid the tax anyways. Unless you like paying taxes instead of driving a newer truck. You have to be making taxable business income in excess of the truck cost, of course. FWIW.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The XLT to Lariat package upgrade is pretty outrageously priced, but I wanted leather and nav.

What gets me is the "chrome package". You get cheesy wheel covers, chrome tow hooks and chrome mirror caps.

Chrome don't get ya home, son.

Premium Features