• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 175 washing out on steep sidehills

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I'm no expert but I do know there is more than one factor in good side-hilling. In my opinion it's combination of things, snow depth and consistency, actual steepness (what's called steep to one may not be to another), machine, rider weight, position on the boards, reaction times, throttle control, counter-steering, and many more. If you change one thing you usually have to compensate with something else. That's why one way works well for some and another way works better for others, they figured out the combination that works for them. If a 150 pound rider and a 300 pound rider stand in the same place on the boards the weight distribution and center of gravity will not be the same. It's good to experiment with an open mind and see what works best, and realize others may need a little different approach to make it all work.

No doubt here.

To be clear, I don't just hang out on the front of the board. I'm always hopping around depending on what I feel the sled is doing, and what I'm trying to get it to do, snow, how steep it is, if I'm getting ready to do a (failed) hop-over etc.

The point of this thread was to help someone who is having trouble with the sled washing out and pointing up hill.

There are assumptions I'm making. I'm assuming its in steep terrain, and I'm assuming they aren't scared to use both the throttle and the brake (aggressively) depending on what they are feeling the sled do.

...at this point is where my suggestions come in more than not.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Another thing that I noticed when I first started riding my 850 and kinda forgot about. When I would sidehill, I had to lean the sled away from the hill more than an xm or axys. At first it was annoying and kinda awkward but once I got used to it I forgot about it. I guess you could say I was over riding it.

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
No doubt here.

To be clear, I don't just hang out on the front of the board. I'm always hopping around depending on what I feel the sled is doing, and what I'm trying to get it to do, snow, how steep it is, if I'm getting ready to do a (failed) hop-over etc.

The point of this thread was to help someone who is having trouble with the sled washing out and pointing up hill.

There are assumptions I'm making. I'm assuming its in steep terrain, and I'm assuming they aren't scared to use both the throttle and the brake (aggressively) depending on what they are feeling the sled do.

...at this point is where my suggestions come in more than not.

Just to make myself clear I was just addressing the subject as i see it in general rather than singling any one person or comment out.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Another thing that I noticed when I first started riding my 850 and kinda forgot about. When I would sidehill, I had to lean the sled away from the hill more than an xm or axys. At first it was annoying and kinda awkward but once I got used to it I forgot about it. I guess you could say I was over riding it.

Interesting.

I found myself holding the countersteer to a greater degree (EG, the skis remain pointed down the hill) when compared to my Axys. This was mitigated by going to SLP Mohawks - maybe the biggest sidehill upgrade I've made.

Either way, good stuff.

Premium Features