• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

waranty

bighillm7

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
Central Iowa
For those of you that have bought new sleds through the years what has been your choice for the extended warranty? Did you buy it? Was it worth it? I am buying my first new sled tomorrow and wonder what to do.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
I've snow checked and always went for the longest warranty available. I'm still using the warranty on my 15 xm. Looks like a fuel pump at 6,000 miles.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
How much warranty does the sled have to start with?

How long do you think YOU are going to keep it?

Match up warranty with question number 2. Generally the extended warranty is chump change compared to a major repair.

But read all stipulations on the extended warranty---you have to have it serviced regularly with records of the service, so idf you are a do it yourselfer--extended warranty generally does not work for you.

My .02

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Warranty

I have been going with 1 year factory warranty and 2 year transferable second party warranty. The second party warranty covers everything from the track to shock & motor everything that insurance doesn't cover. Your dealer will really go to bat for you to make sure it's covered way more then factory warranty. Only doing 1 year factory warranty knocks another $500 off 2 year aftermarket warranty is $600 sumthin.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Extended warranties are where they make a lot of money. Buying an extended warranty is like buying a lottery ticket. It pays if you happen to be super unlucky and have to have a major repair. Otherwise you are just giving them your money. Extended warranties are just like scratch tickets and lottery tickets, a tax on poor people :face-icon-small-con

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Are you snow checking or buying a hold over. I always get the forth year of warranty when I snow check instead of the 300 off or whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Warranty

Extended warranties are where they make a lot of money. Buying an extended warranty is like buying a lottery ticket. It pays if you happen to be super unlucky and have to have a major repair. Otherwise you are just giving them your money. Extended warranties are just like scratch tickets and lottery tickets, a tax on poor people :face-icon-small-con

I have never had to use any warranty and used to go with 3 year & the extra 1 year. I have dialed er back to 2 years just because it helps with resale give the new owners that fuzzy warm feeling. I do the second party warranty because the dealers make more off it then with factory. My dealer really doesn't make a hole lot off the sale of snowmobile so it helps a bit. My dealer has made decent money off me this year in parts so far I've racked up a over $1500 in parts not including the add on parts & oil I got when I picked the sled up haha.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
If you put on a lot of miles you definitely want the extra warranty. IN my experience with the 850s warranty is worth an average of $10k a year in new motors

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
White Rad there was a time I respected your opinion. That time is now over lol. You have become a broken record of non-stop whining. Have you EVER owned a sled you didn’t trash into garbage. Maybe riding around with the flipper to the bar in 3’ of snow for hours above the tree line is your only trick or you are just a pain and misery magnet.
To the OP, I always get the 4yr warranty with the snowcheck. I have a 15 XM and still using it. I’ve had a couple gauges, fuel gauge issues a couple times(again right now) and a fuel pick up problem right now that have all been handled under warranty.
I also usually sell my sleds after a couple years and thousands of dollars of mods to a friend and he gets a year or two ofwarranty too. I’m always nervous about selling stuff to friends.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
White Rad can't have nice things. It has to be tough to be his dealer. If he moves to Cat, it will significantly improve Doo's durability reputation.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
He’s been on Cats. And it was the same story. He blew even more belts than he claims to blow on his 850.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
I snow check when I buy a sled and took the extended warranty that came with my2017, otherwise on a mid model year I choose estart or Shot instead. I am not a high mileage guy so that might influence your decision. I don't insure my sled for collision either only Pl and Pd.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I just had my first ever warranty work done that was out of 1 year ($50 deductible) on any sled I have owned. The rave valve motor went out on my 17 850. Matte Murder will attest that I doubt there is anyone who is harder on sleds than me. Even Tony Jenkins says he has never met anyone that destroys stuff like I do. Extended Warranties, 95% of the time are not going to pay out. If you are on a super tight budget and can't afford repairs on your sled and they will finance it into your deal then possibly they would be for you.

Premium Features