• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tracks 144, 151, 154, 159, 162, 166 help

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
i herd tat the sks modles have the 9 inch and the rmk modles have the 8 inch. is there a way to check this with the track and suspentions still on

You can check on this site to see what was stock on your sled:

http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

According to that site, the 96 XLT RMK came stock with 9t drivers. You can tell what drivers you have by looking up in there. With 8t drivers, every lug has a lug exactly 180° directly across from it. There are lines on the sides of the drivers. With the 8t drivers the lines line up straight across with each other, with 9t drivers they don't. Basically you should be able to see enough of the lugs by looking under there to tell if they're 8t or 9t drivers.

M
Jul 9, 2009
so will i need 7 tooths

7 tooth drivers would prolly make it clear much better but then you get into the gearing and start to lose even more speed. the way mine clears a brand new 2" track would rub but would ware down quick. I don't think it would hurt anything just don't stud to that height or you will destroy your cooler.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
With 7t drivers you could go up a tooth or 2 on the top sprocket and that would get you back to where you would be with 8t drivers. The stock gearing on a 96 xlt rmk is 18/39 so you could go up 1 or 2 teeth on the top sprocket with the stock length (66p) chain. I think you can go up to 2.25" track with 7t drivers.

With 7t drivers I would definitely go with 4 drivers instead of 2 to help keep the track from ratcheting (the outside drivers give you 50% more grip on the track as opposed to just 2 drivers).

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
ok now how long of an extention do i need to go from a 133 to a 144 and how do i gear down

(144-133.5)/2=5.25inch extension

well if you put smaller drivers on it you probably wouldn't need to change you gearing as the smaller drivers would do effectively the same thing as changing gears in the chain case. I am going to try 19/39 gearing with 8 tooths and triple pipes this year. Will see how it works should top out around 85 if i remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure the xlt has 9 tooth drivers!! I had a 1993 xlt stock put 8 tooth drivers and a 1 3/4" polaris 136 worked great ! Added plastic skies it went everywhere!

My friend had a 1995 xlt slp pipes airbox kit and a 144 x2. 7 tooth drivers geared stock and it ripp's , these xlts are still fun to ride ! Had bad luck with xcr's (mono block's) hope this helps !

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
funny

I am running the 151x2 on my '93 XLT SKS w 9 tooth drivers w a drop-n-roll and run 18-42 gears in it. The ol' girl will still run around 80 mph on the road, and is a kick playin' in the powder and the trees. After ridin' it with the 151 I wish I would have put on my wife's piped 500 SKS instead of the 144. The flotation is way better.

Do the drop-n-roll, it is worth the work.

Premium Features