• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Comp. burndown

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Before you buy a new one, try cleaning out the insides. Open the case and use a vacuum (VERY CAREFULLY DON'T touch any components), and suck out what you can, then use a can of compressed air to blow out the rest and repeat with the vac. The amount of dust inside there will amaze you. This creates heat and weird smells if not cleaned out regularly.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
+1 for compressed air. Do it outside, it'll produce a lot of dust.

As far as static goes, keep the computer plugged in (Just the power) and keep a hand on the chassis & you'll be fine.

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
You probably lost the power supply fan and the components in there are overheating. Just look in the back and see if the fan up top is spinning (fan next to your power cable). If it's not spinning just get a new power supply and get back to posting on SW. :)

FYI:

You should either replace the power supply fan or get a new power supply right away (assuming it's a bad fan). It can overheat in a short time without a fan and take out other components in your system.

B
Apr 3, 2008
Billings Mt.
What do you use the computer for?

My wife uses it for alot of finance. A boy scout troop with 40 kids. This was on a jump drive. I use a comp. for argueing on snowest. My son is a e bay nut. Its amazing how much you rely on a stupid comp. I took it to a repair guy here in town. The power supply is toasted. He fixed this laptop that I am on. Good guy so what the hell let him do it.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Power supply is a real simple fix. Once he receives the power supply he'll have it fixed in 10 minutes, assuming that's all that's wrong with it.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Power supply is a real simple fix. Once he receives the power supply he'll have it fixed in 10 minutes, assuming that's all that's wrong with it.

You know what they say about assuming doing you? You make an *** out of me, and give me more work to finish.... at least that is normally how it works with me...

Premium Features