• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

QD belt fell off, not broke... HELP!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I just took my sled in for the recent service bulletin that came out for the new torque specs and jack shaft check on the pro. Now that we traveled all the way from MN to CO to ride we get onto the trail and ride about 4 miles when I give my sled a little throttle on a hump along the trail and All of the sudden it revs high, and the power doesn't go to the track. I take off the side panel only to see my QD belt laying there off of the sprockets, but not broken. We managed to get it back on to the sled but it would work itself about half way off of the sprockets in a matter of 20 feet, then it's stayed there enough for me to limp it back. Any suggestions? I think the dealer messed something up. Maybe put it on backwards? I don't know, I've never heard of this happening.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Remove & re-install both QD sprockets

After reading your post & looking at my Pro's QD under what you described here is what I recommend doing.

Remove & re-install both QD sprockets making sure they are fully seated.

Install a new QD belt after doing this & ask your dealer to replace it under warranty.

When the Techs removed the sprockets for inspection they may have gotten them out of synch or installed the belt backwards IMO.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
hard to believe a polaris dealer would be stupid enough to put the pulley on backwards, but that is the only thing that makes sense. there is no way that belt is coming off if the lip is on the outside.

which polaris dealer is it so everyone knows not to go there?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Yes, after looking at it again we realized the top sprocket was out on backwards by the dealer, even though there are stamperd letters on the one side reading "this side out". We're lucky some people at the lodge had the tools to reinstall it, but we still lost out on a day of riding!! The dealer was hilltop sports in hill city, MN. They'll here from us when we get back to MN! Absolutely ridiculous

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Yes, after looking at it again we realized the top sprocket was out on backwards by the dealer, even though there are stamperd letters on the one side reading "this side out". We're lucky some people at the lodge had the tools to reinstall it, but we still lost out on a day of riding!! The dealer was hilltop sports in hill city, MN. They'll here from us when we get back to MN! Absolutely ridiculous

I hope you took some pictures of it before you removed and correctly installed the upper pulley. As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Yes, we took plenty of pictures! And I can tell the belt got wrecked. I'm sure it won't be a problem getting it replaced at no charge. They have had great customer service with us and this is the first time anything has happened from them. Still no excuses

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
Sorry to hear you are having issues, I am sure Harlan will take good care of you.
I was just at Hill Top on Friday exchanging the voltage regulator i got last weekend on our saddle bagging trip that malfunctioned.

Hope everything else goes good for you Pro, wish i was there with you!
I got the call today to go back to work next week, earliest that i have ever started in the spring! I hope this is a good year for work!

Be safe out there brother!

PS. how is the snow? Film at 11:00?

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Such an easy mistake to make yet so stupid... It scares me to have the dealer work on mine.

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
Such an easy mistake to make yet so stupid... It scares me to have the dealer work on mine.

If you can't trust your dealer to work on your sled, you need a new dealer. Another thing to remember is they're only human and should be allowed to make a mistake just like everybody else. I understand that it would suck to have them make the mistake on your sled but sh$& happens every once in awhile.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
If you can't trust your dealer to work on your sled, you need a new dealer. Another thing to remember is they're only human and should be allowed to make a mistake just like everybody else. I understand that it would suck to have them make the mistake on your sled but sh$& happens every once in awhile.

My dealer has been great to me but I quarantee that I care more about the way things are done on my sled than his techs do. Thats why I prefer to do things myself because my riding time, vacations and safety depend on that sled being reliable. Plus when I do have problems I already know the sled in and out.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just a general comment....I rarely take my sled to a dealer, warranty work would be the only reason. As I think back the last couple years about when myself and those I ride with have taken their sled in for warranty issues, I don't believe there has been even ONE occasion where the work was done correctly. EVERY time there was some little thing overlooked....a plug left undone, airbox not connected (XM), wires routed incorrectly. Even the reputable dealers seem to be rushing and overlooking the little things. When you pick up your sled and the check engine light is on, you know they didn't check their work. I feel your frustration.

Premium Features