• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket Throttle Body Boots?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This is the image they are showing... I just hope it is what you are getting...
$15 each... makes it real hard to run your cracked ones on there...

dk184821.jpg

C
Dec 16, 2008
boots

I just bought the Kimpex adapter boots from my local parts store to replace my cracked ones, I paid $15 CAN a piece. They are garbage, the face that seals to the reed is rough, bare metal in spots/ lumps of rubber in others, there is no way whatsoever they would seal, unless a thick bead of silicone is used. I am going to pay the extra money to the dealer.

Does anyone use silicone between the reeds and motor or the adapter and the reeds? Also loctite on bolts? Torque specs? Sorry to hijack.

DSC02524.jpg

DSC02525.jpg

P
Feb 22, 2009
has anyone tried the boots from denis kirk site?? are they any good?? do the fit the 05 900?? Just looking at them for that price i am thinking i should pic up a set to have spare around home.

How often should these be changed if you dont see any cracks on them

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
has anyone tried the boots from denis kirk site?? are they any good?? do the fit the 05 900?? Just looking at them for that price i am thinking i should pic up a set to have spare around home.

How often should these be changed if you dont see any cracks on them

don't need to change if they are not cracked.

no i haven't used them yet bu i am going to order a set to have as spares just in case. got to b better than a torn one and 2 for less than 1 worth a try.

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
I was shared with this- put a strip about 2" wide x 5" long of heat resistance tape over the top of the boots. Summit sells a good tape for up to 750 degrees. I got mine on and I also doubled the tape- no more problems.
Just make sure to wipe the boots off first- with rubbing alcohol or isophoral

I did this also! used heat tape, used a strip a little bit longer than the width of the Thottle bodies left the backing on except about 3 inches on each side and it made for a little shield or shelf. might have to take a picture. That plus little strips on the boots themselves.

I love heat tape.....

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I just bought the Kimpex adapter boots from my local parts store to replace my cracked ones, I paid $15 CAN a piece. They are garbage, the face that seals to the reed is rough, bare metal in spots/ lumps of rubber in others, there is no way whatsoever they would seal, unless a thick bead of silicone is used. I am going to pay the extra money to the dealer.

Does anyone use silicone between the reeds and motor or the adapter and the reeds? Also loctite on bolts? Torque specs? Sorry to hijack.

DSC02524.jpg

DSC02525.jpg

Use the easiest loctite if any. Red is on there and causes lots of stripped bolts. I think blue is the easy loctite.

Silicon on gasket .... a very very very thin amount cause a bead of silicone will hurt the piston.

I think torque specs are 6 ft lbs for material.

1torque.php

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Anyone have a pic of the heat tape installed on the boots? Are you guys saying to just apply at top not whole surface?
thanks
john

I don't have a pic, but you should only need to cover any portion facing the exhaust. I covered all the top rubber area and then took one longer strip of tape and only took 2 inches of the backing off the ends and attached it over the top like a shield. Its about 12 inches long with only 2 inches of adhesive on each end exposed laid across both boots.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
any body else try these last season?

only 1 report stating they were not so good...worth giving them a shot at least for $30/set...but all mine are mint still..

regardless if you use these or not, but you SHOULD install some heat tape over the top of them to protect them from the heat from the exhuast

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
not sealing the boost box to throttle bodies...just the clamps is all i use

depends on your intake really..on the FNI, there is no way to filter it...i have pet screen over the intake hole on my FNI intake, but its not super fine...its only to keep things from falling in there and getting sucked up...

your pnly bet for "filtering" any belt dust is with a timbersled intake with the outerwear cover on it...

if you keep your clutches clean, and your clutches are setup right and you wash your belt every so often...you wont have alot of belt dust ;)

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ive been running a FNI intake for a couple years now and have never seen any measurable amount of belt dust in my intake system.
As far as the cracking boots.... Guido-tape seems to be the answer! :face-icon-small-win

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Just ordered em ---

For the 37.00 ( includes shipping ) why ruin a week end at Cooke City for a boot. I will throw them in the tool box.

Mine boots seem to be OK. My mounts are good and I run FNI intake. Also my sled runs cool.

Maybe you guys are all riding to slow --------

Thanks for the Great tip saved me a 100.00 ---

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
As far as the cracking boots.... Guido-tape seems to be the answer! :face-icon-small-win

bingo....i put the tape on my sled and my wifes sled almost 2 yrs ago, when we first got the sleds, and they still look perfect...

great advice sixty....thats the same thing i am gonna do...snag 2 sets for spares

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
anyone ordering these this summer??

mine are still MINT from the heat tape i put over them a while back...dont wanna spend money and sit on them..

report back if you get them!

Premium Features