• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt drive choices

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
TKI - has one $799
MVM - has one $850
Anyone else C3? Or they out of business??

Few pictures of what I have found. Looks like Brett Rasmussen is using the Mountain Valley Machine, TKI has a great reputation and proven. What are the differences besides price? Both include a belt for the price.
f9f94c9dec278b804dba4ab74cccbda3.jpg
2af36ac381f880c75057c81bee091462.jpg
Anyone in the know?

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Belt drive

Spend your money on hp & weight savings elsewhere. Maintenance on a chain case and a new chain every year saves a lot of headaches in the hills. Been thar for 2 full seasons never again. Lots of promises & guarantees lots of money & broken belts. Lots of calling transmission shops crossing belt part#'s out of town on snowmobile trips.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Above post is totally correct.. Went threw more belts over the years than one could imagine, then when I called manufacture and gave him specs and application, he said it needed a much bigger belt, some guys have good luck but then it might say what hp there making as well

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
You can definitely spend that $800 better elsewhere. Especially since there is very little weight loss with a belt drive in an 850.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bought a TKI this year, yes I know some say gains and others say waste of money. But for me Im just tired of messing with chaincase oil so just for that it was worth it for me.:face-icon-small-hap

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've not heard of the stock chain drive being problematic on the 850.... and any belt drive efficiency improvements, if any exist , are arguable at best and have been covered ad nauseum on the fourms.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
Ran a TKI on my xm summit X. Never had one issue. Zero maintenance after break-in. If it did blow you can change it on the mountain and it won't damage other parts. No oil to change. If you have the extra cash, do it. I have read and seen turbo guys running belts with zero issues also. Easy to play with gearing also.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Belt Drive choices

https://c3powersports.com/, depending where you live C3 is in Canada (BC and Edmonton?) and that would make a big difference in cost for some purchasers depending on which side of the exchange rate you are.

I have never owned a belt drive and don't plan on buying one but I have ridden with several folks who had a C3 on earlier sled models and no problems at all with proper belt tension etc.

I have seen one chain case broken on a stock 146" that wheelied everywhere he went and jumped constantly. I never saw him check the chain tension???

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I bought a TKI for my G4 simply for the ability to replace the belt on the mountain instead of wasting an entire day hauling a busted chain or gear. Wasted a premo day last year hauling out my AXYS with a busted chaincase and told myself I won't ever do that again if I can help it! And with the extra long chain of the doo I know there will be some advantage with the belt drive in efficiency.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Update: Been researching the the Mountain Valley Machine belt drive more. I had a great phone call with Dave from MVM and owner Todd Williams via FB chat. Here is what I have learned. Before you go off say just buy TKI, I think the competition deserves a good look. So differences that I have discovered are, the MVM has a tensioner that is built in to the all aluminum block that bolts to the case, tension is locked down by 2 bolts vs 1, no plastic anywhere in the cover, it uses a 36mm wide mitsuboshi belt, 63 or 64 bottom gear, choice of top gear. The cover in the pictures is NOT the final cover, that is a prototype cover. Todd said he will send me a picture of the final cover, all aluminum, by Tuesday or so. These will go into production in next week or 2.

MVM has been making drives for Arctic Cat and ski-doo for couple years now. They also have a drive for T3 sled owners. This is not a first go type of thing.

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Tensioner in the cover= bad idea.

TKI uses the stock tensioner and hard anodizes there sprockets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Tensioner in the cover= bad idea.

TKI uses the stock tensioner and hard anodizes there sprockets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry I should not have said it's in the cover. Both the TKI and the MVM use a similar tensioner. The TKI is locked down via 1 bolt and MVM 2 bolts. Tension looks to be adjusted differently though. See picture below of the TKI tensioner block. I don't see where TKI uses the stock Gen4 tensioner. I know it did for the T3, but that may have changed w/ this new chaincase design

13dfbc52507354d2269dc2a08050ad44.jpg

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
The stock 850 chaincase is the main support for the front of the running boards where you would stand... so I think stock inner and outer covers work together for strength/support.
I only see 4 small 8mm
Bolts and 4” of tensioner bracket providing support for tensioner and running boards

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The TKI uses the stock tensioner system. The part you circled is just a guide for the idler to slide and lock onto. Same as the xm kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
The TKI uses the stock tensioner system. The part you circled is just a guide for the idler to slide and lock onto. Same as the xm kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I see what you are saying. the stock tensioner on the Gen4 has been unreliable for some guys vs the XM, so hopefully TKI using that system will be reliable since the idler is locked down anyway.

Premium Features