• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo help

assaulted-one

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2013
ND
I have a 15 pro with a silber external waste gate @ 5psi on my sled. Everything works great until I drop the throttle and the blow-off opens up, when I grab the throttle again it falls on its face. It wont run right again until the turbo unspools, once it slows down we're off to the races again until I let off. If I am riding on the trail and back off the throttle slow and don't let the blow-off open up its all good. problem gets worse as temps go up. when its 35-40 out it's no fun to ride. almost seems like it is over fueling. any ideas where to start?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I have a 15 pro with a silber external waste gate @ 5psi on my sled. Everything works great until I drop the throttle and the blow-off opens up, when I grab the throttle again it falls on its face. It wont run right again until the turbo unspools, once it slows down we're off to the races again until I let off. If I am riding on the trail and back off the throttle slow and don't let the blow-off open up its all good. problem gets worse as temps go up. when its 35-40 out it's no fun to ride. almost seems like it is over fueling. any ideas where to start?

Need more information. Is this the ECU reflash variety? What is your clutch setup (yeah, i know, likely won't affect a thing but it is worth putting in here)

How many miles on the sled? What shape are your reeds in? Have you checked for boost leaks?

assaulted-one

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2013
ND
1000 or so miles on sled, around 300 with boost. silbers clutching. silber put the kit on last July. If I ride at home at 1500 ft I run it at 3 psi with a couple of gals. av gas and it seems ok but I'm not really on the throttle in the flat land. I haven't checked reeds yet. All the plumbing on the intake side seems ok.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
ok, you got to work on better presentation of your issue for people to provide meaningful help. Also, you had it installed by Silber, have you given them a call? Probably the best people to help you are the ones who designed and installed your kit.

It is or isn't a reflash ecu kit? I would assume by the last july comment it is.

Has the kit done it since you got it? Or has it developed suddenly or just slowly getting worse?

Your problem is only when riding in the mountains and you chop the throttle under load it causes it to faulter?

assaulted-one

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2013
ND
the only time my ecu has been reflashed is when it was installed, he said it was better than the previous version. I got zero for help when I contacted him. just started doing it. It will do it at lower elev. also. The last couple of times I rode it, it was late season and getting pretty warm out, both in mountains and here. the only time it faulters is when I drop the throttle and and grab it again right away. No det light, water temps around 160-180.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
the only time my ecu has been reflashed is when it was installed, he said it was better than the previous version. I got zero for help when I contacted him. just started doing it. It will do it at lower elev. also. The last couple of times I rode it, it was late season and getting pretty warm out, both in mountains and here. the only time it faulters is when I drop the throttle and and grab it again right away. No det light, water temps around 160-180.

Those are some high water temps!

Take a look at your BOV and make sure it is closing all the way. Also, be sure your BOV fitting is sealed at the intake boot (make sure you aren't losing pressure at this fitting - this is my guess as to your problem)

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Check out the thread by kyga a few posts down about the mtn tk mapping.
I have similar problems as you. Fixed mine pretty good by adding a boondocker box and 5-10% more fuel in the wot settings.

Edit. I have external gate silber reflash ecu too.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Check out the thread by kyga a few posts down about the mtn tk mapping.
I have similar problems as you. Fixed mine pretty good by adding a boondocker box and 5-10% more fuel in the wot settings.

Edit. I have external gate silber reflash ecu too.

We had 4 of the same setups in our group, 3 wouldnt run, same issues it sounds like. I decided it wasnt worth the hassle and got rid of mine almost immediatly, got told pull and go, ran ok the first ride and that was it. Decided it just wasnt for me. Fueling was the only thing that really made sense, as they were installed by Silber and on new sleds.

Maybe we were just unlucky I guess, most guys are happy.

Last edited:
T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
I as well had the same issue as you and had Justin install my kit on my 15 when I had it. First 50 miles no issue after that on and off the throttle it did exactly what your stating. I never found the issue out with mine and got no help from justin as well. Really sucks to because his kit can work at any elevation. Waiting for someone else to make a kit that works great for sea level and high elevation before i purchase another turbo.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
No det light, water temps around 160-180.
Water temps of 160-180 are crazy high. There are some aggressive fuel enrichments and timing cut safteys when its running that hot and i can see why you might be having some runability issues. And if your sled is running that hot under normal operating conditions then something is wrong with your sled.

Those motors are supposed to run 120-130. again, much out of that range and they do a bunch of saftey stuff to the mapping to protect the motor. Something is serious jacked up if your sled is running that hot not just on the trail.

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Well I can also say no help from Justin but Corey has been great to work with. Throttle position sensor is where I would start just delete it and put tether on. Next is voltage regulators have to be in spec if they are not they will cause weird issues that are hard to replicate. Make sure it's not over boosting your octane numbers. Had waste gate stick and running 100 AV saved my motor. 7lbs seems soft vs 14. You cannot believe what's on the gas pump any more could be 85 octane with ethanol.

Premium Features