• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AC Tether Advice

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
I'm aware most guys' don't recommend the AC tether but I installed one on my '13 m800 prior to last season and it worked fine. Now though, out in the shop I've discovered that it no longer works. The machine will run without the tether in place. I haven't dug very deep into it yet other then the white "button" seems to be moving freely and isn't stuck. Any recommendations? I'm assuming I'm gonna end up replacing the dam tether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Check to see if the small Phillips screw is still there inside the Black rubber cap. Also check to make sure that the rubber bellows seal covering the switch plunger is not torn/damaged.

If screw is missing, I also add a small "dab" of gorilla super glue to the threads of the replacement screw to lock it in place. Just be sure to leave the cap off of the switch overnight while the glue dries, so that it doesn't drip down on to the plunger rubber seal and damage it.

It's also a good idea to add a small amount of syl-glide (clear dielectric silicone grease) to the inside of rubber cap once or twice a season. This lubes the lanyard cap and greatly extends the life of the switch and it should last for years!

IMG_2940.jpg IMG_2941.jpg IMG_2942.jpg

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
Screw is still there. The sled runs with the chord detached. I can press on the white button with a screwdriver and nothing changes. Sled stays running.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
at the harness that you have take the 2 wires out to install the new wires from the kit 1 pin has lost contact. the kill portion of this circuit closes the loop when you need to shut it off and open loop will keep it running. most of the time this happens the kill switch will not work and you have to use the key.

T

Toyotajoe

Dec 12, 2016
NL, Canada
I don't mean to hijack but has anyone ever spliced into a wire located somewhat closer? Kill switch or ignition wire?

The AC reccommended install location seems unnecessarily complicated to me? I'm sure with some simple soldering and heat shrink a reliable connection can be made somewhere else?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My Cat tether has always worked, but I'm sure there will come a day when it won't. On my race quads that used a Pro-Armor style tether you'd have to take the tether apart every couple years and clean the contacts. The faces of the contacts would start to look a little burnt and dirty and not make a good connection anymore when the tether was pulled. I'm guessing the same thing happens inside the Cat ones after a while. No way to easily disassemble the cat one and clean the contacts. The more the tether gets used to shut the machine off the quicker it will happen as there is more arcing happening in there. I usually shut my sled off with the kill switch, then pull my tether if I'm getting off for a second.

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Moisture seems to get behind the rubber boot and makes it stick contacted. I had that problem and didn't have tools to remove the tether. I ripped the rubber boot of and sprayed with wd40. Has been working fine since. Now I re oil every once in awhile. Since the boot is gone.

I wonder if some dielectric grease under the boot on install would prevent the problem.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Moisture seems to get behind the rubber boot and makes it stick contacted. I had that problem and didn't have tools to remove the tether. I ripped the rubber boot of and sprayed with wd40. Has been working fine since. Now I re oil every once in awhile. Since the boot is gone.

I wonder if some dielectric grease under the boot on install would prevent the problem.

I think it helps and I add a small amount of dielectric grease to the end of the brass plunger when assembling the ROV kits.

Applying dielectric grease inside the boot also lubes it to help prevent it from sticking/freezing to the brass plunger, which in turn helps extend the life of the rubber boot.

M
Aug 11, 2008
Messing with the pins in the supplied connector are a pain in the arse and most of the time lose contact. Just jumper the tether into the main harness above the factory connector.

killswitch.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features