• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Official Statement on 2017 Gen 4 sleds

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Kinda funny how some people jump on a certain brand when a small percentage is actually having a problem. Remember when "ALL" Polaris sleds had engine problems, or when "ALL" Arctic Cat sleds had clutch problems, or when "ALL" Ski doo sleds had crank problems. All first year sleds have "some" growing pains, ALL. For someone to make a statement that ALL sleds are turds because a small percentage have issues is a pretty ignorant statement. Do a little research, not one OEM is immune from having "some" first year issues. If it makes someone feel superior because "your" brand doesn't "currently" have issues, you're a moron.

B
Feb 18, 2009
I know two company's that make 800 that will smoke the 850, in my opinion it's a great big flop

Only 850 that any factory 800 is going to smoke is one of the bad belt eating 850s... There is no excuse for those machines but if you think all 850s are junk you are clueless! 2018 should clear up those issues and improve the overall calibration and setup...

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
dealers need better PDI for customers...
rider elevation needs to verified/addressed before sled leaves dealer...
make a new belt deflection video (current video is wrong)...
fix the motor mounts, too much movement under load...
lose the blu/blu QRS spring, replace with 417127039...
some factory venting would go a long way...
I could post a very simple clutch kit update here but that would mean I did your job (kit includes all doo parts) its not rocket science...
send "shim kit" with each sled to fine tune for any elevations from 5000' and up...
IF you guys made a 20 tooth top gear YOUR gearing issues/calibration between track lengths would be A LOT simpler-BJ

* the wobble may be functional BUT NOBODY in the CVT industry does that, add a simple counter weight to inside sheave since the clutch is keyed and go back to true running sheaves and lets see how the belt likes that:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Hey Ski Doo.

Any word on the finalized mods for the 2018s yet? Thanks.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
dealers need better PDI for customers...
rider elevation needs to verified/addressed before sled leaves dealer...
make a new belt deflection video (current video is wrong)...
fix the motor mounts, too much movement under load...
lose the blu/blu QRS spring, replace with 417127039...
some factory venting would go a long way...
I could post a very simple clutch kit update here but that would mean I did your job (kit includes all doo parts) its not rocket science...
send "shim kit" with each sled to fine tune for any elevations from 5000' and up...
IF you guys made a 20 tooth top gear YOUR gearing issues/calibration between track lengths would be A LOT simpler-BJ

* the wobble may be functional BUT NOBODY in the CVT industry does that, add a simple counter weight to inside sheave since the clutch is keyed and go back to true running sheaves and lets see how the belt likes that:face-icon-small-win

Hey John,
I am curious, what elevation are you at? I tried that spring on my 2016 sleds, it turned them into belt eaters. They wouldn't shift out, tons of belt melted onto my primaries. I tried it on my 850, it also made the situation worse than stock. So I was wondering if you are at lower elevation to get good results with that spring, or something else I am missing? I am at 5000-8500.
The best results I came up with on both my 850 sleds was about 3g more per arm, although it lost snap. Less belt heat, less fun to ride. I know someone here who had almost no belt issues with stock clutching, I obviously got two "bad" ones. Thanks,
Chris

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Hey John,
I am curious, what elevation are you at? I tried that spring on my 2016 sleds, it turned them into belt eaters. They wouldn't shift out, tons of belt melted onto my primaries. I tried it on my 850, it also made the situation worse than stock. So I was wondering if you are at lower elevation to get good results with that spring, or something else I am missing? I am at 5000-8500.
The best results I came up with on both my 850 sleds was about 3g more per arm, although it lost snap. Less belt heat, less fun to ride. I know someone here who had almost no belt issues with stock clutching, I obviously got two "bad" ones. Thanks,
Chris

OK

XM-the 039 spring solves the backshift/rpm issue the blu/blu creates...
adding pin weight to the TRA is the easy fix for the XM (never had a shift out issue/hot belt from that sec spring/40 helix) had issues when the TRA wasnt right (tech tip- put that factory insert back in or more) this is altitude specific...

G4- need the 039 AND more tip weight to hold the belt (bolt weight is OK but not the fix) the 951 weight/stock summit spring/039 spring/tight belt is a solid baseline for low/mid elevations, up high you need a heavier 967 weight (SHR 967A is heavier total/tip vs stock) add the simple motor mount shim and you have fixed many stock issues-BJ

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Hey BRP.

Can you respond here about the gas tank issues being reported by some riders? I.E., the gas spurting out of the gas tank when under pressure? Sounds like a relief valve is being blocked.

Is that something you are also addressing for the 2018 model updates?

Thanks.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Would be good to get comment from BRP on this.

Agreed... this would be good to get "official" word on rather than public speculation... IMO, this is a common issue that could have dire consequences.

Hey BRP.

Can you respond here about the gas tank issues being reported by some riders? I.E., the gas spurting out of the gas tank when under pressure? Sounds like a relief valve is being blocked.

Is that something you are also addressing for the 2018 model updates?

Thanks.

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
I think the relief valve is on the upper right corner of the fuel tank... when your sled is facing downhill.the fuel blocks the relief valve and purges fuel instead of air!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I really doubt BRP will post here again any time soon, if ever. They created an account and this thread in a last ditch sales effort to gain snowchecks. If that wasn't the case and they really cared, they would have posted since snowcheck ended.
I have yet to hear a thing on my BRP/warranty claim other than "give him a belt."
I have two Doos and a turbo on the way, but will pass them on to someone else unless BRP takes care of my last years' problems.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I really appreciated the postings by BRP a while ago. But I and others are wondering, why the radio-silence for so long?

Any kind of an update would be appreciated BRP. Thanks.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
It's only July. I have no doubt they have/will address the issue. One of the threads they posted said it would be taken care of well before next riding season. I don't know about you, but it's 100 degree's here and I'm riding my side x side. I say give them some time. I love my 2017 165" and looking forward to my 2018 175".

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
I just got off the phone with BRP...They said they are aware but probably won't have an update till later this fall! Your Dealer is the one to talk to as they will get the updated info Directly from BRP

D
May 24, 2012
Agreed... this would be good to get "official" word on rather than public speculation... IMO, this is a common issue that could have dire consequences.

Good point. The way I see it, BRP needs to take a bigger part in Social Media like they do with Evinrude. With Evinrude BRP doesn't do it alone either. There are certified BRP Techs all around the world who are not employed by BRP, so they are not obliged to follow set rules of what they can or cannot post. In other words they can post what a BRP employees cannot. It is a symbioses of sorts. For the EVAP I noticed there were good explanations by the owners/members. Those need to be followed by a simple test which most have the ability to perform.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I just got off the phone with BRP...They said they are aware but probably won't have an update till later this fall! Your Dealer is the one to talk to as they will get the updated info Directly from BRP

Since BRP took the step of coming onto this forum it makes sense to come back and update us all so we get one message. We all seem to get different versions of "the truth" from various dealers, hence my desire to hear it straight from BRP.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
BRP official statement on 2017 Gen 4 sleds

My dealer tells me that the Skidoo folks take holidays in the month of July (makes sense) he expects a decision in early August so that any recall can be done before the 2018 sleds start coming in and assembled.
Patience is a virtue?.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
My dealer tells me that the Skidoo folks take holidays in the month of July (makes sense) he expects a decision in early August so that any recall can be done before the 2018 sleds start coming in and assembled.
Patience is a virtue?.

How about an announcement then that there WILL BE an announcement on [ ] date?

Premium Features