For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Electronics Beacons, GPS, communication systems, etc.....

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Currently: gen4 now please
PaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Delorme Inreach Explorer discussion

I was just poking around and didnt see much posted
on the Inreach Explorer..
I'm about to buy this and was wondering>>
1. quality of the maps on the iphone?
2. how well does it work with the iphone pairing/bluetooth
3. battery life?
4. will it interfere will avy beacon?
5. getting it up and running with the phone if its been off all day
how quickly does it boot and pair
6. Do I still need a quality satellite gps? or can the explorer truely replace it?

I don't currently have a gps or messenger
have been using iphone for navigation..

Thanks for any real life input you guys might have!

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulAnd For This Useful Post:
NorthMNSledder (11-07-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Currently: Not set.
Lopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond reputeLopsangsherpa has a reputation beyond repute

I have one and I love it, almost as much as my wife loves it. I have used it for two years for fishing in the summer and sledding in the winter.

1. I find the map quality great and no longer carry a GPS.
2. This normally works very well, it is the only part that gets "futsy" sometimes. Every once in awhile I need to turn off my phone bluetooth and turn it back on.
3. I do a 4-5 day winter camping trip every year in sub zero temps at 12k feet. I make it through the whole trip on one battery charge, you are fine for day trips.
4. My avy beacon always tests correctly when the inreach is in my backpack (do a beacon test before we ride for transmitting frequency). I have not noticed anything in terms of interference.
5. Pretty quickly, you will just turn it on in the morning, put it in your bag and forget about it. IMO there is no need to turn it on and off.
6. I do not need one, I find it a completely suitable replacement if you're always carrying your phone. The functionality of this device is strongly dependent on using your phone with it. If you are planning on doing that you will love it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lopsangsherpa For This Useful Post:
dingalingman1 (01-05-2017), NorthMNSledder (11-07-2016), PaulAnd (11-06-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:15 PM
PaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond reputePaulAnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Delorme Inreach Explorer discussion

Ok, got my inreach explorer

Just a few thing's to add

I have an iphone 5s 16GB
I had to delete some apps,
Photo's ect to get the delorme maps to fit

1. Maps look great on the phone, but will not display on the explorer.

2. Bluetooth pairing is flawless

3. Battery life on unit from my research 2-3 weeks?
Will test this season.
However I would recomend bringing an external battery pack for your phone. I cant get a full day from my iphone when its cold.

4. Avy beacon interference?
Still not sure, but from what I read.. leaving unit in backpack, beacon in front might be ok

5. Starts right up, pairs instantly.. non issue

6. This will work as a gps as long as your phone has battery life left

Note.
Pay special attention
To setting up the unit

Get your emergency contacts correct and synced with the earthmate app and the explorer. Not very user friendly

Send out a couple of tests
I used my wife's email
And she could not figure out how to reply at first..
Use the included link from the email.

Make sure your emergency
Contact has a contact list and instructions

Last edited by PaulAnd; 11-12-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:32 PM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulAnd For This Useful Post:
dingalingman1 (01-05-2017), NorthMNSledder (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:33 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5300.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	275070Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5303.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	275071Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5304.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	275072

The Following User Says Thank You to PaulAnd For This Useful Post:
NorthMNSledder (11-12-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 11:43 AM
logan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAnd View Post
I was just poking around and didnt see much posted
on the Inreach Explorer..
I'm about to buy this and was wondering>>
1. quality of the maps on the iphone?
2. how well does it work with the iphone pairing/bluetooth
3. battery life?
4. will it interfere will avy beacon?
5. getting it up and running with the phone if its been off all day
how quickly does it boot and pair
6. Do I still need a quality satellite gps? or can the explorer truely replace it?

I don't currently have a gps or messenger
have been using iphone for navigation..

Thanks for any real life input you guys might have!

Just remember to shut your phone off if your using an avalanche beacon. I'm sure your already well aware of that.

The Following User Says Thank You to logan1080 For This Useful Post:
PaulAnd (11-19-2016)
Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Currently: Let it Snow!
dgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond reputedgibbons has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Looks good, the review is helpful. I just got an SE for Christmas. I thought about upgrading to the Explorer but after doing some research and watching / reading some reviews I opted to stick with the SE as I can still use my phone in conjunction with it to act as a GPS and even track where I go. I'm also very impressed with the phone integration using the Earthmate app and am glad I have the reassurance of communication if sh** ever heads south in the backcountry.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Currently: Building out a trailer.....
Thanked 3,325 Times in 1,874 Posts
NorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond repute

It was only a matter of time!!

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fe...each-explorer/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthMNSledder For This Useful Post:
PaulAnd (02-01-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:00 PM
bkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond reputebkm20x has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting that press release... Glad I waited almost pulled the trigger on a in reach a few months ago.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:03 PM
NorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure the new one is much better yet as I have not had much time to look into it. But we might see some price dropping on the old units now. I was always hoping they put one with a full fledged Garmin unit but the press release still talks about Delorme Maps. Guess will see when they hit the market.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to NorthMNSledder For This Useful Post:
PaulAnd (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register