• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do shocks really matter on a mountain sled?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So because you have to use more energy to ride your sled and make it do the things you want, that makes you a better rider? I better put just springs in place of my shocks then.

Your shocks are going to be worn out quicker if you ride more rough trail or jump a considerable amount. Highly dependant on riding style. There is no magic mileage number here. Shock oil gradually gets used up just like engine oil and needs to be changed. To make things worse, OEM shocks seem to have more air trapped in the oil since they are assembling them so quick the air bubbles don't have a chance to escape. Everytime air travels through the valving you are not getting any damping action from the shock.

Pushing on a shock in the shop will give you a slight idea of how it will behave for very slow compressions like weight transfer, but that's it. You can't even start to move the shaft as fast as it needs to open up the high speed valving.

backcountryislife - I am really considering putting a Fox reservoir and hose on the float rear shock of my new sled that has a high/low speed compression adjuster. Once you have that tuning ability, it really makes you wish you had it on everything else. Does HPG have any remote reservoirs you could buy resonably and add to your existing shock?

Honestly, the 3's I have I'm sure I'll get valved right for me... gonna ride them first and see what they need, but I'm not as critical in what I need from a ski shock as I am about skid shocks. Not going to do remotes on the front.

In the rear I want good transfer (I like to ride with the skis off the ground), and rideability but also need to be able to take big hits cause I'm awesome at jumping... kinda seem to suck at landing :D

Talking to Tom about some zero pro remote res shocks on mine right now though... those I'm sure with the right build will be awesome.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
******* News Flash******

Pigs are flying in droves (they might even be helping Santa's reindeer this year!!!! (close sources are claiming better mass to weight inertia, and lower center of gravity

On a more serious note; front and rear suspension has so much to do with riding. Whether you are talking powder and controlling weight transfer, or how much ski lift, both in steep climbing and while trying to cross a snow trenched turn out on a climb, hucking it off a cornice, or getting back to your truck at the end of the day. Or your talking making the fastest run at a local RMSHA race, everything you do on your sled has some affect to how your suspension performs.
If you have shocks that fade on the ride up to your playground, then you can anticipate using considerable more energy for the same amount of effort. That would mean at the end of the day a lesser skilled rider who has good suspension could actually outperform a more skilled rider with suspension that is not functioning properly.

E
Feb 20, 2013
GP, alberta
even just comparing two stock xm's side by side going down the trail, one x model and one sp... i noticed a big difference on how it handled and absorbed the bumps. the x was much smoother and the sp was a lot choppier. so needless to say i want to upgrade the shocks on my sp.. maybe next year though.

now I'm not a guy that wants to sit and tinker with shocks or clutching or anything all day, i just wanna set it and forget it in a sense, and just ride.... i also want something that will shave a few pounds (even if i may not notice it in the snow, i don't care) as i am not a big guy. is my best bet to start looking at the fox shocks for what i want to do.

i ride lots around home (fields, creeks, river banks, rolling hills, cut lines), and try to go to the mountains as much as i can... we always have to take a rough trail in to get to the hills.... so good shocks are important, especially on the ride out when your beat tired lol. i was thinking toms emotion & some fox shocks of some sort in front... comments?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
even just comparing two stock xm's side by side going down the trail, one x model and one sp... i noticed a big difference on how it handled and absorbed the bumps. the x was much smoother and the sp was a lot choppier. so needless to say i want to upgrade the shocks on my sp.. maybe next year though.

now I'm not a guy that wants to sit and tinker with shocks or clutching or anything all day, i just wanna set it and forget it in a sense, and just ride.... i also want something that will shave a few pounds (even if i may not notice it in the snow, i don't care) as i am not a big guy. is my best bet to start looking at the fox shocks for what i want to do.

i ride lots around home (fields, creeks, river banks, rolling hills, cut lines), and try to go to the mountains as much as i can... we always have to take a rough trail in to get to the hills.... so good shocks are important, especially on the ride out when your beat tired lol. i was thinking toms emotion & some fox shocks of some sort in front... comments?
upgraded shock will not save weight unless you go to Fox Air shoxs , All other upgrades will have heavier duty components and more features typically at the expense of weight.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
upgraded shock will not save weight unless you go to Fox Air shoxs , All other upgrades will have heavier duty components and more features typically at the expense of weight.

unless you spend a few more bucks & swap out for some ti. Felt a walker evans with TI coil & shaft the other day... unreal how light that was, significantly lighter than a shorter float I had in the other hand.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
unless you spend a few more bucks & swap out for some ti. Felt a walker evans with TI coil & shaft the other day... unreal how light that was, significantly lighter than a shorter float I had in the other hand.

Ti springs save 1/2 lb. we have weighed the two and compared. Ti is a great option but nothing is as light as air,

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Ti springs save 1/2 lb. we have weighed the two and compared. Ti is a great option but nothing is as light as air,

1/2 lb on the spring, 1/2 lb on the shaft... it all adds up. Losing a full pound on each shock is a lot of weight.

Also, by only 1/2 lb, I'm assuming you mean the stock shocks, most aftermarket shocks have heavier springs than the stock ones.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Ok, so heres the skinny on Ti coils, no B.S., and remember this is coming from a guy that sells them. Bob is spot on with the weight. Ti springs average $300.00 each. That $300 pulls .5# off each shock. That puts you at $600/ #. A far cry from the days of $100/#. I still get guys that call and go by the $100/#, and today its just not realistic. Sleds are out of the box lighter which makes pulling weight off ALOT more costly having to go to the exotic materials. Even at that you dont get the big numbers of past. To me if your going for every ounce and have endless pockets go TI. To most of us it means absolutely nothing. Now suppose you have made your decision based on just this information, but its really not over. Remember this is JMO, but a Ti spring in my experience will not give you that super plush ride with that of a steel triple rate spring, period. I have talked with Jake from Raptor several times to try to get Renton to turn Ti triple rates and they will not. To me that would be a HUGE step in the direction of advancement for a shock. Ti shock shafts.. another very costly step in the right direction, but it really comes down to what I said in the beginning is the cost worth the gain? The air shocks are no question a lighter shock than coil. Do they have the ride quality..IMO NO, not even with all the fancy chamber mumbo jumbo. They are still a great shock, and a HUGE improvement over the stock Chinese junk, don't get me wrong, im not bashing air, I just don't see the ride quality seat of the pants feel of that of a coil. Im not trying to kill my sales on Ti springs, just stating some should know facts before a guy throws the cash out there...the facts as I see them, that's all it is. Ive got to get to the shop! Thanks!
Dan

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Ok, so heres the skinny on Ti coils, no B.S., and remember this is coming from a guy that sells them. Bob is spot on with the weight. Ti springs average $300.00 each. That $300 pulls .5# off each shock. That puts you at $600/ #. A far cry from the days of $100/#. I still get guys that call and go by the $100/#, and today its just not realistic. Sleds are out of the box lighter which makes pulling weight off ALOT more costly having to go to the exotic materials. Even at that you dont get the big numbers of past. To me if your going for every ounce and have endless pockets go TI. To most of us it means absolutely nothing. Now suppose you have made your decision based on just this information, but its really not over. Remember this is JMO, but a Ti spring in my experience will not give you that super plush ride with that of a steel triple rate spring, period. I have talked with Jake from Raptor several times to try to get Renton to turn Ti triple rates and they will not. To me that would be a HUGE step in the direction of advancement for a shock. Ti shock shafts.. another very costly step in the right direction, but it really comes down to what I said in the beginning is the cost worth the gain? The air shocks are no question a lighter shock than coil. Do they have the ride quality..IMO NO, not even with all the fancy chamber mumbo jumbo. They are still a great shock, and a HUGE improvement over the stock Chinese junk, don't get me wrong, im not bashing air, I just don't see the ride quality seat of the pants feel of that of a coil. Im not trying to kill my sales on Ti springs, just stating some should know facts before a guy throws the cash out there...the facts as I see them, that's all it is. Ive got to get to the shop! Thanks!
Dan
Good Read, I can say after owning all the floats over the last 6 years that they are HORRIBLE out of the box. I cant believe Fox send these out with the valving the supply. Only after Tom,s completely re worked them are they working as expected and feather plush with bottom resistance. But this will cost additional coin and the only way to get the performance and weight loss. I was impressed with the construction quality of the Raptors and a top notch shox with adjustability but again you have the additional weight. Jus no quick easy answer! However readers are getting accurate info,,,

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Dan

Dan, a lot depends on where you source it. As a TI guy I'm sure you know that some rod sources have gone WAAAY down in price recently, the TI shafts that Bparks is doing are about 1/3 of the price of what you quoted for coils, also he mentioned to me a few days ago that he found springs for $175 for our one that wasn't going to air.

right now, something is going on in the market that SOME ti materials are dropping heavily making it so that some of these products are changing from the historical "out of realistic range" to pretty feasible.

The main thing about doing things like this though, is that in general there's no durability or strength loss, compared to some things we do for weight loss that have a decent bit of tradeoff.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Dan, a lot depends on where you source it. As a TI guy I'm sure you know that some rod sources have gone WAAAY down in price recently, the TI shafts that Bparks is doing are about 1/3 of the price of what you quoted for coils, also he mentioned to me a few days ago that he found springs for $175 for our one that wasn't going to air.

right now, something is going on in the market that SOME ti materials are dropping heavily making it so that some of these products are changing from the historical "out of realistic range" to pretty feasible.

The main thing about doing things like this though, is that in general there's no durability or strength loss, compared to some things we do for weight loss that have a decent bit of tradeoff.
Yep its called China.. very unfortunate. Im extremely proud to say all my products are built in house, made in "USA". Thanks!
Dan

Premium Features