• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BULLSH** POLARIS (ELECTRIC RELAYS IN HARNESS GO BAD FROM WATER INTRUSION)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Ok then, Back to relays and harnesses...

Any more info if the 2018s have addressed all or part of the issue?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If anything.... at minimum... I would have hoped that Polaris engineers would have insisted on all brass connector terminal be tin plated rather than raw brass.

Better yet... fully sealed relays with sealed connectors and tin plated terminals.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Better yet... fully sealed relays with sealed connectors and tin plated terminals. .
You would think.....But what do we know, we're just the suckers that buy them. Brought this up (sealed relays/connectors)with Polaris Reps but they just gave me lip service. On a part of the electrical system thats this important, until this happens, I won't be buying another Polaris.

.[/QUOTE]

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Cant tell from photo

I can't tell from your photo...

If you can do us all a favor... and take the time... much appreciated. :face-icon-small-hap

Can you pull the relays, get the part number printed on the side of the relay(s) and also a photo of the terminals inside of the 2018 block?

Still disappointing... that Polaris is NOT using a fully sealed relay ASSEMBLY however.. meaning that the relay is sealed...and the base is sealed..

Like these two options.

attachment.php
81PaOoTK5bL._SY355_.jpg

Need to do some thing with 2018 ?

attachment.php

pushtoseat-1.jpg

Last edited:
R
Nov 12, 2016
Can you pull the relays, get the part number printed on the side of the relay(s) and also a photo of the terminals inside of the 2018 block?

1.the relay is - sr-1
2."and also a photo of the terminals inside of the 2018 block?" were it is? show me on photo if u can

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Been watching this thread for a bit now. . . Finally pulled the trigger jumping ship from Cat to a 2017 rmk. . . I just did this tonight to help seal the relay base. Then I'm going to get them turned up with the bases down and tape around each relay. . . Mine were still factory taped and there's some dielectric grease in the pins for sure. Hope this dosent hold the moisture and make the problem worse.
f1506c1c879a2bf5702dc0df1fd3ab41.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

P

poman

Mar 24, 2012
Been watching this thread for a bit now. . . Finally pulled the trigger jumping ship from Cat to a 2017 rmk. . . I just did this tonight to help seal the relay base. Then I'm going to get them turned up with the bases down and tape around each relay. . . Mine were still factory taped and there's some dielectric grease in the pins for sure. Hope this dosent hold the moisture and make the problem worse.
f1506c1c879a2bf5702dc0df1fd3ab41.jpg

Is that silicone or dialectric grease ?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Silicone

FYI, dialectric grease IS silicone, or also known as silicone grease. It's basically a silicone that never hardens. It's also an insulator and does NOT conduct electricity in any way. Too many times, I've come across folks that put dialectric grease directly on plug pins/contacts, thinking that the grease somehow both helps protect from corrosion and helps conduct electricity. Keep it off the contacts.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Ya I know. . . That's why I used normal hardening silicone to seal the bottom of the bases where the pins go in. . The relays are sealed so I believe too it's the pins in the bases getting corrosion on them. . . See it all the time. Actually an electrician so relays/bases are no new thing to me haha.

P

poman

Mar 24, 2012
FYI, dialectric grease IS silicone, or also known as silicone grease. It's basically a silicone that never hardens. It's also an insulator and does NOT conduct electricity in any way. Too many times, I've come across folks that put dialectric grease directly on plug pins/contacts, thinking that the grease somehow both helps protect from corrosion and helps conduct electricity. Keep it off the contacts.

Oh man , I've been doing it all wrong then..always use on contacts & spark plug boots filled with it.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
MH, I completely concur with ya! When everything on the sled is electrically monitored or run, why in the HE(double Hockey sticks) would they choose to outsource the wiring harnesses to Honeywell's Chinese Division? It's like giving a Lamborgini or Ferrari a Krylon paint job. Sacrilege! Are Polaris engineers really a bunch of hillbilly rednecks or what? Or is that just the displaced mid-west Farmer mentality?

I would bet, if someone was so inclined they could make a quality harness and sell a mint of them. Use Fine strand copper wire with Arctic grade insulation (like Polar Wire makes and is well known for). Use quality connectors and components even if it requires the connectors be changed on the connecting components. Loom it properly (no electrical tape to hide their hideous workmanship).

By and Large the biggest "Issue" with the AXYS and was for the PRO Ride also.

I was a mechanical engineer before I decided to quit and join my displaced mid west family farm operation. People don't understand the never ending battle between engineering, manufacturing, and the bean counters. I guarantee you the reason they have a chinese harness is because of the bean counters. They will sacrifice quality to save pennies on a high volume part. It sucks, but it's the reality of the world we live in.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
It took 3 months for the extra relays to come in this summer. They said they were so backlogged from limited supply and high demand. Im glad I wasn't looking for the in the middle of the winter!

Premium Features